Skip to Content

Critique the Decmber 2005 GDS Challenge Entries

29 replies [Last post]
Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Use this thread to make comments and give critiques of the entries in the Dec 2005 GDS Challenge (found here).

-Bryk

doho123
doho123's picture

Sadly, Donner...Party of 8, is not the Donner Party that I was thinking of...

you know, the Donner Party expedition that, on the way to California, got stuck in a terrible winter in the mountains near what is now Reno, Nevada, where most of them died and they resorted to cannibalism to survive...

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

You might want to re-read that entry, doho ... there are plenty of parallels between the two. ;-)

-Bryk

Hamumu

A slightly unorthodox question, but I gotta ask: Can someone explain the Zoo Gang to me? I read and re-read, but I just don't get it.

doho123
doho123's picture

Brykovian wrote:
You might want to re-read that entry, doho ... there are plenty of parallels between the two. ;-)

-Bryk

Ah, yes, I see that now after taking a longer-than-just-passing-first-glance. I wonder if that was intentional.

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

doho123 wrote:
I wonder if that was intentional.

I'm pretty certain it was.

-Bryk

Kreitler

Brykovian wrote:
doho123 wrote:
I wonder if that was intentional.

I'm pretty certain it was.

-Bryk

Yes. If I remember correctly, "Donner, party of 8" is a Robin Williams punchline about the ill-fated expedition.

K.

markmist

It was nice to see the December challenge because I have been interested in large group games for some time now. There are very few out there that actually work well that aren't silly party games. Werewolf is the ultimate large group game, but ultimately fails for me because the core mechanic is whether or not you can lie, which can lead to moral issues for some people. I always wished there was a way to design a werewolf type game that did not revolve around lying, because the atmosphere was thrilling.

After reading all of the entries, I thought that 1 entry really got the essence of this challenge. After reading this entry, I immediately wanted to try it out. It actually had a similar feel to what I was thinking of submitted, but I couldn't think of the mechanics that would make it work. After this contest is over, I actually would like to talk to this person to see if he would be interested in taking this design further and if he would like a co-designer.

There were a few other notable games, but most of them I felt either just wouldn't work in a large group setting or would be too confusing for non-gamers. Duke of the Hill was a concept that I have also thought about - how to make a game that can be played during other activities. It was a nice attempt, but I am not sure if it could really be pulled off.

Zomulgustar

If it's bad form to post critiques before voting is complete, just let me know and I'll remove the entry. Otherwise, no peeking until you've voted!

No really, no peeking.

It's not like I didn't warn you.

Apologies if any of these seem too harsh...

Entry #1 - Donner, Party of 8!
I think this one stretched the theme constraint a little past the breaking point, but is otherwise fairly solid. The mutation seems a bit of an absurd inclusion, and I'm also confused why letting the poor little bunny rabbit starve to death is somehow less evil, given that the reindeer will die even if he eats the carrot, but I suspect I'm thinking about that way too hard. It might be a bit less chaotic if you butcher the reindeer more finely and increase the game length a bit. I can't believe I just recommended that, though...

Entry #2 - JAGSPILL
This is a very abstracted take on the theme, and it certainly creates an interesting mental image, but I'm just not sure how well it will work. For example, what if two consecutive players want the white ball to catch the black, followed by two consecutive who want the black ball to catch the white. If the former pair hold the black ball, and the latter hold the white ball, what's to stop the game from freezing right there? Still an interesting concept, and fits the non-theme criteria well.

Entry #3 - Who Kicked Rudolph?
Several games in this competition interpreted 'hunt/chase' to include deduction games when the suspects are already in custody. I frankly don't quite buy that. I suppose the _players_ are seeking specific _cards_, but that really isn't quite the same thing if the characters are doing something unrelated. It definitely succeeds at being simple and silly...perhaps too much so. The same mechanics might make a bit more sense with a different theme, as it doesn't quite parse that the 'guilty' reindeer keeps changing identity. Not sure if the 'deleted expletive' spoonerism was deliberate. A part of me wants to use a singing greeting card chip with this one...gives the elves something more to go on than pure guesswork. perhaps "Grandma got Run Over..."?

Entry #4 - Alibi
I really wanted to like this one, but again, the detective player is hunting, but not his character. Unless, now that I think about it, you're hunting _information_...but that still seems a bit of a stretch, especially since in this case the information isn't even attempting to evade pursuit. Which leads me to what I see as the most obvious problem: the theme-mechanic mismatch that the guilty party has no idea they're guilty from the start. This is also true in Clue and assorted 'How to Host', but that doesn't make it right. Otherwise, maybe I'm just not seeing it, but there isn't a lot of opportunity for strategy here...the detective's intial choices more or less randomly target specific players. And not to name any specific stories, but...(spoiler?)...couldn't the detective have dunnit? I'd suggest that the author continue to work with this one...there's a much better game a few tweaks away, IMHO.

Entry #5 - Virus
Marginal pass on theme...virii don't actually seek hosts, they just spread enough that some will end up there. Very light, but sounds fun...biggest problem is very limited opportunity for meaningful decision. Especially once your blindfold is on, though a good spatial memory might let you target specific pawns you saw earlier. Is there some way of limiting the right to move the pawns so that the blindfolded can use this skill element without taking away the placement 'strategy' entirely? Probably the best game here to play with a large group of kids.

Entry #6 - More....BRAINS!
Strong theme support, though it's not one I'm especially fond of. Very interesting take on no player elimination'...reminds me of that 'Amoeba' tag from the Family Pasttimes crew. It might be more interesting to separate the auto-safety and 'draw cards' functions of the Safety Numbers. Sounds like it would be fun to play, and would be a strong contender were it not for one rather important omission: who wins? At first I thought this was just nitpicky, but it really isn't clear who wins if everyone gets away except the last one who gets eaten, or everyone is eaten except the last one who gets away.

Entry #7 - Predators of Yellowstone
Dead-on with the theme, and the asymmetrical teams look really interesting. Unfortunately, it's difficult to get a good feel for the game's flow with so many of the turn options being on the cards, and I'm also concerned that feeling might extend to the players as well, making it difficult for players to understand their possible future options...maybe also a little too 'gamer-y'? Simplifying
the possible actions enough that they're always available but require certain cards as payment might work well. Nitpicky., but do eagles actually hunt deer? Maybe you were better off with 'prey'. If I'd known errata were allowed, I'd've changed some things in my own game.

Entry #8 - Duke of the Hill
Very interesting...the players are hunting, and possibly even trapping other partygoers into unusual converstion topics, in a game which is otherwise pretty abstract. Nitpicky again, but the first sentence under 'Actions:' could be more clear on when they're allowed. I do think a different minigame should be included by default...The HILL is simple, but appears painfully dry at first glance, and I have a soft spot for abstracts. Something just as (or more) quick but with more chance or hidden information would probably inspire more non-gamer partygoers not to simply give up.

Entry #9 - Hot Pursuit
The theme is a fine match for the requirements, but unfortunately the link to the mechanics is rather tenuous. Ignoring that for the moment, the game seems to pretty much work, if rather chaotically. May a car starting on the majority color be moved? The flow of the turns and rounds could have been made more clear, but if I'm understanding it correctly, there will be some players who never have the last turn in a round, which I'm concerned will give them undue disadvantage. It also looks very difficult to make cumulative progress towards a goal...only the last few turns in a round are likely to have any impact on the scoring.

Entry #10 - You are in my team now
Again, set collection does not a hunt/chase make. And you might reduce your intended audience too much by only allowing players for whom a 'life-size' representation could fit on three index cards. ^_^ It seems to fit the other requirements, but I really don't get the fun factor behind Cranium-style party games, so I really don't know what to suggest that might enhance it...sorry.

Entry #11 - Zoo Gang
It seems what hunt there might have been has been put on hold, but I can't honestly say I'm sure what's going on here...it sounds as though there's an element of 'Balderdash', but the scenario makes little sense (perhaps intentionally, but not to good effect). Strategically, it seems to me that the Guardian simply pretends to be one of the other animals, and if this gives the impression of a single animal occuring more than once, the director randomly picks one of the pair. Or better, all of the animals pretend to be the Guardian, while the Guardian plays himself. That doesn't mean the game won't play well in practice...it seems to be one of those that is as good as the players make it with their stories...but I'm guessing some more work would yield a better framework within which the storytellers can work.

Entry #12 - Good Fences Make Good Neighbors
The theme's a bit iffy on this one...this time the characters are hunting, but the players barely participate in this process. It's a bit cutthroat for a party game, but if 'Werewolf' is OK, the math likely will be more of a problem than the attitude. The author would do well to consult a reference on the Iterated Prisoner's Dilemma: the players should be uncertain when the game is going to end, or there's no reason to even try to negotiate late in the game...anyone holding to deals then isn't playing to win.

doho123
doho123's picture

Zomulgustar wrote:

Sounds like it would be fun to play, and would be a strong contender were it not for one rather important omission: who wins? At first I thought this was just nitpicky, but it really isn't clear who wins if everyone gets away except the last one who gets eaten, or everyone is eaten except the last one who gets away.

It says it right in the first paragraph:
Any PreZombie that makes it to the lower-right exits the Graveyard and wins.

Zomulgustar

Mea maxima culpa. And if I missed something AGAIN, then let this stand as a monument to what happens when one posts without sufficient caffeine.

REVISED

Strong theme support, though it's not one I'm especially fond of. Reminds me of that 'Amoeba' tag from the Family Pasttimes crew. It might be more interesting to separate the auto-safety and 'draw cards' functions of the Safety Numbers. Sounds like it would be fun to play, and would be a strong contender, but skirts the edge of the 'no player elimination' requirement by not providing a means for Zombified players to win, even though they're technically still playing. Perhaps the Elixir of Life mentioned in the expansions provides enough of a loophole for this one to slip through.

Nando

Zomulgustar wrote:
For example, what if two consecutive players want the white ball to catch the black, followed by two consecutive who want the black ball to catch the white. If the former pair hold the black ball, and the latter hold the white ball, what's to stop the game from freezing right there?

JAGSPILL wrote:
The last player to handle the ball loses 2 points.

I think the stated penalty is supposed to mitigate that. But since a reward of 5 points can be got for playing the card matching the caught ball's color, it probably isn't a big enough penalty.

Kreitler
Wow...strangely quiet

kreitler wrote:
My top three were:
[EDITED OUT: I thought voting ended today at noon. I'll post my personal winners after the contest ends.]

OK...now that the results are in, my top three were:

1) More...BRAINS!
2) Who Kicked Rudolph
3) Zoo Gang

Congrats to everyone, and to all a good night!

K.

Kreitler

Nando wrote:

I think the stated penalty is supposed to mitigate that. But since a reward of 5 points can be got for playing the card matching the caught ball's color, it probably isn't a big enough penalty.

Doh! I wrote my critiques (see previous entry) before I read your explanation. Please accept my apologies for posting it anyway.

Also, congrats on supplying a very interesting abstract take on the requirements. I'd really like to see how Jagspill plays -- I have a feeling it would make a great family game.

K.

Hamumu

I've got critiques (pretty lame ones, really) written up, but I'm waiting until the results!

Hamumu

I feel quite pleased with 3rd place! Yay me! Although wow, huge dropoff after 2nd place. Hopefully, Doho can now stop being sore.

Here are my critiques:

#1 - me! And yes, it was originally the original Donner Party, but my wife heard the title and thought it was about reindeer, and I thought that added a delightful layer of creamy punnery, although it kind of complicates the connection to the expansions. By the way, www.cannibalthemusical.net !

#2 - Jagspill
Wow, quick game! I question 20-30 minutes, I think more like 10-15. Guess it depends on the player count, or how much trouble people have getting a ball to catch another. A real simple and quick game that I think anybody could get into. The expansions are terribly weak to me (I wish you had started off with cats and dogs, though!).

#3 - Who Kicked Rudolph?
Just like my game, only slightly less graphic! I don't think I like this game. It seems pointless. The bandage card would just continuously go around in a circle and that's about it. Kind of like playing Hot Potato. Not very huntingy. Good thought into expansions, rules and all, and not just re-skins.

#4 - Alibi (My #1)
I like it! I think it kind of bridges a gap between party games and gamer games a bit, plus it's got some of that 'murder mystery party' element going (without all the painful dramatics and embarrassment). I'd have to play it to really get a feel for it though, I'm not real sure of how things play out.

#5 - Virus
First of all, I would be scared to play this game. Childhood memories of being tormented and tricked by my sisters... I can just imagine thinking you're playing when in fact the entire rest of the group is sitting there laughing at you behind their hands, "Oh nope, you need another blindfold!" Setting the pain aside, that does bring to light a little problem with the game - you have to trust whoever is unblindfolded to tell you what's happening. And of course the game is 100% luck. Hunting?!

#6 - More Brains (my #2)
Another hiding your eyes game! I'm glad it's only for a limited time here. I like this game, and the expansions (I want to start with the weapon expansion to spice it up!). Zombies are always a good idea. I don't have much else to say, sounds good. It's less casual/family than most others so far, but it's definitely playable by anybody, if you can get them to do it.

#7 - Yellowstone
This really fails the casual/non-gamer/party test. It's totally a gamer game. It also bends the "no player elimination" rule, making a tweak to an elimination game rather than making a game designed to have no elimination. That's not to say it's bad, but it's far enough off the rules that I won't vote for it. Now, as a game, I'm not sure really... it's not well defined from what I read. It sounds like it could be fun, but it's not at all clear how it works - combat, hunting, cards, how you generally earn VPs, when or why you would roll a die?

#8 - Duke Of The Hill
"Breast milk" is a commonly used phrase at parties? I really need to get out more. I think the premise is faulty here - people (non-gamers) really don't want to try to play a game during a party. They'll just ignore it. That's just how lame people are. Which is a shame because it obliterates the catch phrase part of this game (that part wouldn't work at all if the game were played as a normal game, of course). The hill game is really too much game for the extremely breezy rest of the game. I think you need something much simpler and lighter there, but as I said, I actually think the entire premise is broken due to the nature of parties. I love the cards though.

#9 - Hot Pursuit
This is another gamer game. I don't think it qualifies as a casual party game at all. In fact, it seems to involve some pretty intense strategy! Sounds like a pretty nice game though, especially if the cars are little plastic ones with rolly wheels. Pretty easy to understand, nice simple expansion. I think it would take far too long to play with 8 players, though, it sounds like it really should be more like a 2-4 player game.

#10 - my team now (my #3)
The collecting of players is really interesting. I also like the hand-drawn cards (except that you'll run out of cards and have to buy more!). I think this is a really original and cool game. It's too complicated for non-gamers, I think, just a little bit. But I really like it and how it comes together.

#11 - Zoo Gang
I tried hard to understand... I did! It sounds kind of like a variation on Balderdash, but if I understand it right, everybody reads their own words. So ... doesn't the director just have to guess at random which person is the guardian? You know what, I really just don't understand it. I will ask in the critique thread.

#12 - Fences
Another very gamer game. It sounds like a pretty interesting game though, one I'd like to try. It's kind of fun to see how people go about making gamer games when the player limit is so high. This game is notably affected by it. Anyway, I like the gist, it seems like a game where it gathers most of its complexity from human nature rather than rules, which is good. I rate this entry high, but I'm penalizing it on thematic concerns.

Xaqery
Xaqery's picture

First, Congrats to doho123, Kreitler, Hamumu all nice games.

My first game idea this month had me and Mark laughing in our first couple brainstorming lunches. From my experience if you have something that is very entertaining in brainstorming meetings you should probably run with it. So we did although in the back of my mind I was never really sure we should do it.

The game was (briefly):

Wives, Johns, and the Pimp

Each player at all times is either a wife, a john or a pimp.

Each wife and each John had counter parts. (To pull this off there would be more Wives than johns and all Johns would always be in play. therefore Each John could have more than one Wife which could have hummorus effects)

Through the course of the game Wives are hunting their assigned John (Husbnad) while Johns are trying to evade their wife while he is searching for the one player that was the Pimp.My wife and a friend told me it was too edgy and in the end we decided to dump it. I think at best it would have been a humors entry that no one would vote for. So I took some elements and created "Duke of the Hill".

- Dwight

[/]
Zomulgustar

Hopefully I managed to blend my self-critique in with the others well enough...now all I need to do is create a game where the winner is the one who gets the most 2nd-place votes, and I'll be in business. ^_^

Re: the theme concerns...in case it doesn't already show, until 12 hours before submission, 'Good Fences' was 'Leader of the Pack', a game where you're all wolves and the Alpha always gets to divide the food. I just couldn't justify the idea that the socially dominant wolves should be worse at gathering food, and figured the risky stretch of the 'hunt' theme would be made up for by increased mesh between theme and mechanics, however marginal.

As for it being a gamer-game, these accusations confuse me a bit, though that likely says more about my taste than their veracity. Simultaneous action selection makes the game nigh-impossible to analyze, the only game pieces manipulated by the players are an indicator which token on the board is yours and gold. It's really a lot more about striking a balance between mutual trust and betrayal than painstakingly constructing a detailed strategy...about the people rather than the numbers. In short, stuff I figured would be optimal for a non-gamer crowd. When I think gamer-game, I either think abstract strategy games, where deep analysis is necessary, or I think Puerto Rico, Dune, El Grande, etc...something with a bunch of situation-specific rules to memorize and account for. While it certainly isn't a 'party game' ala Trivial Pursuit/Cranium, I wasn't under the impression it had to be. Insight on this point would be greatly appreciated, especially if there's any way you feel this could be 'fixed'...looking to see if I can get 20+ people for a playtest, and better to solidify the rules BEFORE the game starts, IMHO.

And sorry about the titular pun...it took me forever to find it, but once the thought occurred I just couldn't help myself. I was going to use 'The Unkindest Cut' for the main game until I found it.

doho123
doho123's picture

Hamumu wrote:
I feel quite pleased with 3rd place! Yay me! Although wow, huge dropoff after 2nd place. Hopefully, Doho can now stop being sore.

Sore? Did I ever say "stupid judges"? I just mispelled the word "brilliant."

Interestingly enough, I also won the trifecta of picking the 2nd,3rd,and 4th place winners in order. Which is sort of interesting given the "let's change the contest voting" discussion earlier this week.

Of course, now I can go off and write the guide book of "How to Win the GDS." Coming to Amazon.com soon.

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

doho123 wrote:
Of course, now I can go off and write the guide book of "How to Win the GDS."

Thanks for all of those cookies, doho!! And the free-beer-for-a-year gift certificate -- muchly appreciated!! Oh yeah -- my wife said to tell you that she loved the flowers ...

;-D

-Bryk

Zomulgustar

(Note to self: next time wait to complain about the voting procedures until AFTER the totals have been announced.)

Johan
Johan's picture

One point again!!! That seams to be a trend at my games!!!
First were a sweet old lady turned down and now a self portrait hunt. It could get worse and I get zero points next time… (Actually I like to thank for this point since I think that there were far better games that deserved it more ;) ).

This time I really felt unfair when I send in my points. For me there were 1 game that was outstanding and 3 games that come in on second place. I had a hard time to separate them. If we had a 10 point system that were described then I would have distributed the points like this:
- 4 point to Alibi by Kreitler (Entry #4).
- 2 points to Donner, Party of 8! by Hamumu (Entry #1)
- 2 point to More....BRAINS! by doho123 (Entry #6) (congratulasion)
- 2 points to GOOD FENCES MAKE GOOD NEIGHBORS by Zomulgustar (Entry #12).

Now I had to give one game 3 points, one game 1 points and one game zero points. Did not feel right at all.

// Johan

P.S There were some other of the games that was good, but they did not meet the requirement.

doho123
doho123's picture

I just thought I should thank everyone who sent me some IM with congrats, as I was not able to return the messages personally.

I was fairly well concerned about Zom's comments about, essentially, Zombie players really having no win conditions, thereby "eliminating' them. I never really thought about that angle, as I've always looked at player elimination to mean "I'll go watch TV while the rest of you finish your game."

Being that the contest was about a party game, however, I really thought that the emphasis should be placed more on everyone having fun that the "drive to win." And what's more fun than grabbing a people with Grabby Hands! And looking at the design post-comments a little further, I've come to the realization that most likely, the players who probably wind up having the most fun, the Zombies (trying to get a read on what the PreZombies are playing and then trying to 'scare' them during the eyes-closed phase) actually have no way to win. Which is fairly unique.

But then, in real life, being a Zombie probably isn't a winning situation anyway.

And (I think Hamumu's comment) about the Zombie horde growing to big actually is a pretty good simulation of how Zombies operate; their hordes tend to grow exponentially, at least based on all the current top secret government simulations that I've been privy to. So, it would be a matter of playtesting to determine what the best starting ratio of Zombies would be (along with the map construction; Ideally, you'd want to Zombie horde growth to climax with just one or two PreZombies being able to be JUST RIGHT NEXT to the exit tile.

Along other lines, it was actually nice to create a rule set with lot's of extra words left over for a change. It even gave me some nice room to add the Dippin' Slime expansion which was suggested by a co-worker.

Dippin' Slime coming to your local game stores soon!

Kreitler

doho123 wrote:
And (I think Hamumu's comment) about the Zombie horde growing to big actually is a pretty good simulation of how Zombies operate; their hordes tend to grow exponentially, at least based on all the current top secret government simulations that I've been privy to. So, it would be a matter of playtesting to determine what the best starting ratio of Zombies would be (along with the map construction; Ideally, you'd want to Zombie horde growth to climax with just one or two PreZombies being able to be JUST RIGHT NEXT to the exit tile.

That comment was mine (and possibly Mike's too). I realize that's a good simulation of actual Zombie behavior, which is a plus. My real concern was whether it's possible to balance exponential growth with such a small pool of players. That was just wondering out loud, really -- I have faith you could make it work and that it would be fun.

On an unrelated note, I'd like to thank everyone for giving Alibi a 2nd place nod. I've been thinking about the critiques I received and am reworking the rules to be simpler, less random, and more involving for everyone at the table. If I come up with something decent, I'm going to submit to the Mysteria contest -- so I'd really welcome additional criticism.

Thanks to everyone for another fun GDS.

Mark

Nando

doho123 wrote:
But then, in real life, being a Zombie probably isn't a winning situation anyway.

And (I think Hamumu's comment) about the Zombie horde growing too big actually is a pretty good simulation of how Zombies operate...

For those of you too busy to care or to read that far down in the post...

LOL!

Hambone

If my memory of Christmas songs is correct, isn't the reindeer's name Donder?

Kreitler

Hambone wrote:
If my memory of Christmas songs is correct, isn't the reindeer's name Donder?

I think it depends on whose version you're reading. I've always seen in "Donner" until this year. We bought "Twas the Night Before Christmas" for my son, and in there it's "Donder".

However...in German, "Blitzen" is lightning and "Donner" is Thunder, so I'm pretty sure Donner is the correct translation.

K.

Hambone

Quote:
However...in German, "Blitzen" is lightning and "Donner" is Thunder, so I'm pretty sure Donner is the correct translation.

So does that make Hamumu's game a German strategy game, disqualifying it as appealing to "hardcore gamer geeks"? Actually, it was my favorite. Nice job Hamumu!

Kreitler
Revision

FWIW, I've posted a greatly streamlined version of the Alibi rules in my journal. Normally, I wouldn't pimp it so blatantly, but since I'm interested in entering the Mysteria contest, I'm throwing all dignity aside...

Mark

Yogurt
Yogurt's picture

I missed the conversation about changing scoring, but I can see how this month's competition would have provoked it. Very tough calls for me.

I ended up voting:
1 - More Brains
2 - Good Fences
3 - Duke of the Hill

I wasn't a big fan of the grabby hands themselves in Brains, but the game seemed fast paced and easy to learn. It captured some cheerfully grisly zombie movie themes too, such as where you don't have to outrun the zombies -- you just have to outrun the slower humans.

Good Fences had that Diplomacy-like betrayal that makes for a good party game.

If Duke of the Hill had just been the word game, it might have had my number one vote. In fact, I think that's an idea worth taking to publication, if it hasn't been done. Although I like the idea of scattered cocktail minigames, the suggested one was too abstract for any family gathering I'd have.

I liked Alibi a lot, but I couldn't wrap my head around what the strategy would be or how the game would play out. This was my common muddle for many entries this month. "Would this work? What would happen?" I thought Jagspill was genius in its simplicity, but I wasn't convinced stalemates wouldn't happen too easily. This would be a fun one to try though.

An amazing slate of entries this month. I wish I'd had time to throw my hat in the ring, but seeing the results, I surely would have been devoured! :)

Merry Christmas, all!

Yogurt

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut