Skip to Content

Critique the September 2005 GDS Challenge Entries

29 replies [Last post]
Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Use this thread to give comments and critiques of the September 2005 GDS Challenge, entitled "Kiddie Zoo" ... (found here)

-Bryk

Scurra
Scurra's picture

Flaming Zarquon! How is anyone supposed to choose between that lot?! [Apart from my entry, which is obviously rubbish.]

Please note that I've decided to arbitrarily disqualify those people who were showing off with their graphics this time, as otherwise I'd never get it down to a manageable number ;-))

OutsideLime

Awesome awesome.

There is some truly creative stuff here, very entertaining to read. I was glad to see that people took all sorts of liberties with the "animals" theme to make their game unique. We see everything here from domestic to exotic to invented to anthropomorphized to symbolized. Such a wide variety of mechanics showed up, too. Great efforts all around, looking forward to other comments, the detailed reviews that are sure to come, and of course, the results. (This is my first Showdown entry.)

Good luck everyone!

~Josh

Sebastian
Re: Critique the September 2005 GDS Challenge Entries

Brykovian wrote:
Use this thread to give comments and critiques of the September 2005 GDS Challenge, entitled "Kiddie Zoo" ... (found here)

Well, if you insist...

Noah's Ark: (5 points) This was my favourite of the entries. It explores the design constraints creatively, and ends up with a solid game that's simple enough for children to understand. It teaches about the different types of animals. It has a nice physical element. Basically, it just works.

Barnyard Rush: This game was a relatively simple tile laying game with too few obvious choices and too little fun for the younger children, but not enough scope for interesting descisions for the older ones. I could also imagine it getting blocked up pretty quickly. Not convinced.

Habitat: This idea has some interesting concepts (particularly the matching types of items - velcro, lego and sticklbrick type things would be one idea). However, the actual gameplay, in my opinion, is a little too abstract for children to really understand it properly.

Ketchikan: A cute idea which falls under my prejudices about 'create something which matches this' games - some are invariably easier, and even if you win, it's due to other people accidentally giving you the game. Still, children are probably less discrimitating, and this implementation seems to be better than some I've seen.

Bug Collecting: A fresh interpretation of the requirements by giving insects. On balance, though, not one a winner, mainly due to the fiddly nature of the dice rolling, and because I'm not convinced by the set collecting nature.

Stackanimals: A brazen attempt in which the requirements are taken, and the obvious game is created. I'm almost tempted to give it a point for the sheer cheek of it.

The Cycle of Life: (3 points) Another fairly obvious game, but another one which is suitable for children to learn about shapes, and is basic for them to grasp. The movement aspect in the advanced game turns it from a simple exercise into a real game.

Farm Team: An interesting attempt with a lot of fun physical messing around. This just feels too complicated for children to understand what's going on.

Safari Party: Even a modest difference in ability will mean that one player always loses this game. I'm not sure that this makes for a fun game, especially when, with children, there almost always will be the ability difference.

Surprise Party for Sleepy Bear: (1 point) This seems an interesting enough game. It's complexity level is a little high for my liking, but the cooperative nature means that this is survivable.

The Matching-Matching-Matching Game: This is probably a fine game, but I have too little experience with the age group in question to evaluate it sensibly. I'm therefore not.

Lost in the fog: This feels like a sensible two player game, but not necessarily a childrens game.

Animal Parade: Seems to be somewhat jack of all trades, master of none. The concept is nice, but the games seem to be just a random set of games using the same concepts rather than one game which grows with the children. Not sure.

Noah Zark: I don't feel that this really takes advantage of the physical nature of the creatures. It could be played with cards depicting the various creature parts with equal facility.

Hamumu

Isn't Sleepy Bear for 3-6 kids of age 6, not for kids of age 3-6? I sure hope so, because I think 3 year olds are going to be completely lost in there!

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Hamumu wrote:
Isn't Sleepy Bear for 3-6 kids of age 6, not for kids of age 3-6? I sure hope so, because I think 3 year olds are going to be completely lost in there!

Quite right! My apologies ... it is now fixed.

-Bryk

Challengers

Fantastic job, one and all! I guess there is something about animals that just brings out the warm and fuzzies in us all. Or perhaps it was the G-rated restriction?

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Hi folks ...

There are 2 days left to get your votes in for the current GDS Challenge ... simply read through the entries (link) then send me a private message with what you think the top 3 entries are.

Thanks,
-Bryk

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Okay ... a bit less subtle this time. ;-)

There are (about) 24 hours left to vote for this month's Challenge entries ... when it's all said and done, I'd like to have more votes than entries.

-Bryk :-D

seo
seo's picture

I'm still strugling to find some time to read all the entries. The same overload of work that prevented me from entering this month contest is preventing me from voting. I just had a glance at the entries and I liked what I saw, I won't be able to vote if I can't read them all at least once. :-(

Next month should be back to normal.

Seo

Yogurt
Yogurt's picture

Huh, I thought I was voting for yours, seo! I should know better than to guess by now.

Yogurt

Xaqery
Xaqery's picture

Good Luck to all the contestants!

- Dwight

Yogurt
Yogurt's picture

So we actually did have fewer votes than entries? (13 vs 14) How does THAT happen?

Bug Collecting was delicious. My number #1 vote, and I'm glad to see it win!

Ketchikan was my number #2 vote, although those gorgeous rendered pictures almost made me not vote for it out of pure green envy. ;) Halfway through the rules I was convinced it was far too complex, but the variants at the end pull me back.

My third vote was for The Circle of Life, which I thought was a good introduction to tile laying.

I laughed to see Safari Party's premise, because a giant party that spirals out of control was my original concept too, but I couldn't make it work. Stackanimals actually exists as a game already; but I forget its German name.

I was surprised Sleepy Bear seemed complex to some commenters, but this was probably a case of "if I had more time, I would have written a shorter game." From conception to submission, this was two hours for me, my quickest composition yet.

I actually would like to play this one, but I'll have to wait for my kid to grow a bit. (She has a bear named Sleepy Bear though, so the seeds are planted.)

Congrats to everyone! Now to start our Get Out the Vote program.

Yogurt

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

yogurt wrote:
So we actually did have fewer votes than entries? (13 vs 14)

That's exactly right.

So, the thoughts bouncing 'round my thick head go as follows:

• Is once-a-month too often? Should we back this off to every-other-month, or once-a-quarter?
  • Except that we're still getting more than a dozen entries each week ... and this is targetted more at the designers, not so much at the "voting public" ...
  • But how are the designers going to get a proper level of feedback without votes?

And I don't have answers yet ... but wouldn't mind seeing what other people thought about it.

-Bryk

[/]
Yogurt
Yogurt's picture

Has voting dropped off, or has it always been this low?

I hope no competitors are deciding not to vote for strategic reasons. Technically, it's a shrewd move, because you deny your competitors 9 votes, but that's taking the competition too seriously.

I'm fine with the monthly schedule. It's become a guilty habit for me. I should be working on other projects, including this movie monster game I'm supposed to be working on right now, but I can't resist mulling the challenge over in my spare moments. And the number of submissions is strong, so I don't think the schedule 's a problem.

I suspect someone will suggest shorter entries. If this month wasn't an outlier, maybe we should try it once to see if shorter outlines attract more readers. I will cry though. :)

But if it's usually just the competitors who vote anyway, maybe we should just require votes from each person who submits a game.

Yogurt

OutsideLime

I would say that requiring votes from each entrant is a good idea...

I must say that I did consider the option of not voting in order to raise my chances, or to vote for games that I thought would fare poorly in the overall voting, to effectively nullify my vote... but eventually I crumbled under my own sense of ethics (read: guilt) and voted truly.

How to create an equitable voting program? Well, this is a forum packed with people who specialize in working out the kinks in game systems...

Maybe incentive for voters? Get that forum points system up and running, and grant points to members who vote?

In the meantime, 4th place for my first GDS entry ever... not too shabby. Next month it's ALL MINE people. Btw, I like the monthly schedule.. I feel that if I miss one due to being busy, or if a challenge just doesn't inspire me, there's another one right around the corner.

~Josh

Hamumu

Don't drop the monthliness! It's the only shining light in my otherwise dreary existence...

(did that work?)

I think requiring a vote makes perfect sense (if you don't vote, the votes you get are void). It's disappointing that not every entrant voted, but really I think a result based on 13 votes is pretty darn valid. Other than the fact that we all know any further votes that came in would've been #1 Ketchikan. It just makes sense!

My game:

I actually ended up making a Ketchikan prototype (each animal was a different shape of lego, so the stacking was easy!) and playing. Of course, we found changes we'd like to make. My wife felt like the Shaman cards just were too easy to forget (concentrating on exactly what moves you need to make on the totem poles is pretty intense! I pictured it being light and simple, but it's tough, kind of chess-like thinking ahead), and she proposed an alternate concept where each animal spirit has a special power, so rather than being rewarded a power whenever you choose not to use your spirit for building, you'd actually have a choice to make each turn: use the spirit's power, or use it to build.

I liked that idea, but I also like the Shaman cards. Incidentally, I did RESEARCH for this game! Almost every card came specifically from a Tlingit myth. I had some good flavor text in there that had to be excised.

We also decided you really needed to be able to move totems twice per turn, and the Beaver power/card would bump you up to 3 times.

I also think it might work well with only one Quest per player. As it was, it took a while to analyze each quest on the table and compare it to the totem poles and decide how do-able it was. On the other hand, with less, it would be much less likely that you'd make a 'combo'.

There was actually only one combo of more than 2 Quests in the game we played. My wife went off on a big rant about the whole spirit-collecting combo thing and how nobody would ever be able to accomplish one since you only get to put spirits on top of poles. Then her next turn she won the game by doing a combo using all 4 spirits. Besides the irony, that was the best part of the game. Cranking that combo out and getting more powerful with each step was a really cool thing.

This is my favorite of my entries for this contest, hence the prototype. And it really came out well as a solid, though non-kiddie, game in practice when we tried it.

As for other peoples' entries, I did my usual reviewing, so here it comes...

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

yogurt wrote:
Has voting dropped off, or has it always been this low?

We usually get 14 or 15 votes, so that number didn't drop much ... however, we usually only have 10 to 12 entries ... so with that number bumping up by a couple, it makes for the first negative gap between voters and entries.

I don't think we actually have much of a problem here ... more like an opportunity to give a minor tweak.

A couple ideas for people to chew on:

1. Cut the max word limit down to 500 (it's at 800 right now)
  2. If someone uses graphics, he/she have a 300 word limit
  3. Only the first 10 (? ... or 12?) entries are accepted

I personally don't like the idea of forcing entrants to vote ... I would hope that all of the entrants, as well as the other "regulars" who might not submit something to a Challenge will continue to give useful feedback to the designers (voting is rather useful feedback, imo).

The whole overly-competitive thing would go away, I'm sure, if I removed the highly-sought-after prizes!! ;-D

-Bryk

[/]
Hamumu

Caveat: I really REALLY don't know much about kids and how developed they are at different ages. I had to go with my gut on this (but I got input from my wife the elementary teacher when setting up the age range for my game, so you know it's solid!). Recaveat: after writing all this, I got my wife's general agreement on my age-range complaints, although she was WAY harsher than me! I'll spare you her commentary, save to say she thinks you need to keep things REAL simple (she likes simple games herself anyway, not being a geek).

Noah's Ark
Certainly is physically engaging! I think it has the same problem my first idea for this contest has: kids will slam into each other and end up bruised and battered. One thing I really don't like is that it has no victory condition (or way to lose), even for all players together. I know that's a kid thing, but hey, I don't like "games" that aren't games!

Barnyard Rush
Very very simple! I don't know what else to say. Seems like a nice simple strategy game. I almost think it's too strategic for the 6-year range it starts at. Of course, they could play it, but I think it might be frustrating for them to have to follow the rules. Especially if your pasture ends up with mud completely blocking it in, and when you draw a tile to fix that, you just get more mud!

Habitat
Wow, this entry is more in the vein of the 10-minute "come up with a basic concept" challenge than what we've seen so far in these week-long GDSes. As such, I struggle not to smack it down for being so unclear. It sounds like an interesting game, very Jengaesque. I have a feeling the whole metaphor involved will be flying through the stratosphere way above the heads of the kids who play it, but if it's mentioned, and maybe used in a classroom setting and discussed afterwards, it could be an actual lesson. It's definitely an interesting idea. In the end, I can't help but knock the vagueness - this idea could've been thought through more (or maybe simply expressed with more confidence!), as evidenced by the repeated lines like "I'll have to think about that more". That's my advice: just sound confident as though your game IS what you say it is, don't let us know that what you're telling us is just one of the dozens of potential directions you think it could go in.

Ketchikan
me!

Bug Collecting
I like this one. It sounds good for kids, though a bit 'meaningless' for us big kids, as it appears to be 99% luck. I have a feeling that in practice, the sticky spots would actually have to be velcro - sticky stuff doesn't stay sticky for long! I'd play it a couple times myself for the cuteness.

Stackanimals
This is a BIG game! I think kids would love it though. I think I would have a lot of fun too. It's awfully harsh for a 4 year old though - mess up your stack once and you go sit in the corner while everyone else plays? I think that rule would have to go right out the window if this were produced for real kids. Almost as absolute a loss would be to just lose all your animals and start building anew, but it would keep the kid playing and having fun.

Circle Of Life
This is good in two levels - I scoffed at the 5-year age rating when I read the list of animals, but the basic game is surely in reach of a 5 year old just fine. I would've liked to see an official ruleset involving the colors and stuff, but the idea that that at least gives it the potential to be an interesting adult game. I actually don't think I like the advanced game, I'd rather play the basic game with color rules and such. Again, like Habitat, I'm disappointed that this is left open instead of just taking a stand of some specific rules. Maybe I should just get used to that!

Farm Team
This one sounds like something kids would go nuts over, not to mention drive their parents nuts. One complaint here: fish must crawl on their BELLY with no hands? I'm exhausted just thinking about it. I question the intensity of the animal limitations... they should probably be toned down to a more general acting-like-the-animal thing (of course, too lenient would make the challenges super easy!). it would be interesting for something like a PE class to break kids into groups and have them all compete to win their set first. Would require tons of supervision to ensure the rules are at least vaguely being followed though.

Safari Party
I like it. Again I have a problem with the elimination aspect - for young kids, that's just a terrible idea. The trunk on the elephant seems like a major annoyance, but once I realized it wasn't a precision stacking thing and just a "stick it on and hope it stays" thing, that makes more sense. I was sitting there trying to visualize how they all stick together, it was tough.

Sleepy Bear
This game sounds kind of interesting with a few real grown-up elements (just the complexity of passing items to the right person and the various rules like bringing animals in with door dice). I don't think this cuts it for 6 year olds really. Too complicated! But for a slightly older crowd, they could indeed have fun. I don't know, I think it's at once very kiddy and very complex (for 6 year olds I mean... it's not exactly Lord Of The Rings), which are not two things that can mesh. I could really picture a simpler version where the kids themselves hide behind furniture (or in buckets!), and actually bring stuff to Sleepy Bear while he sleeps (and snores loudly!). I think that's the way to go with a game like this. Classic childhood type game - you're out if Sleepy Bear is awake when you are not hidden (yeah, it's brutal, and I've spoken out against it above, but it's how kids play! And it would be a very short game presumably).

Matching-Matching-Matching
I like this one. First it's very well-thought-out in a "child development" perspective, second it's very easy for kids to get, and third it is kind of interesting in a weird way. I like 'chains' as a general gameplay concept.

Lost In The Fog
I detect a language barrier here, and I think it made this already complex game seem harder to follow. There were a few rules here I just didn't get. The movement difference between #1/6 and the rest is that #1/6 can move diagonally, right? And when you move, you move one of your pieces 2 spaces (#1/6 can change direction after the first step), and one of them 1 space? Can the chain be diagonal? There's something in there about the end of your chain has to be the same number as the space its on? Or something... Overall, it sounds like an interesting game, pretty much a chess-alike (why is the board made of cards instead of a board?). I think it's actually a little complicated for ME to play, much less a kid, but I actually do think it would work with 8+ as it says. Maybe more like 9 or 10 before they really have an idea of what they're doing, kind of like chess (I myself am at the 9 year old level of chess).

Animal Parade
Interesting, and impressive that there are 3 versions to the game. I think the difference between the last two games isn't that big though, and in fact the middle game is plenty complicated as it is! I think it would be a worthwhile (light) adult game. Scranimals honestly sounds like a bad version to me, though. I think the kids would be bored and frustrated, as getting a match seems like it would take a while... and what if other players hold the part you're looking for?

Noah Zark
This is my favorite! I would really enjoy playing this game myself, and at the same time I also think (if you remove the Gadget cards entirely) it really is suitable for as young as 6. With the gadget cards, it's more complex. This game totally reminds me of Cooties. Remember that??

Scurra
Scurra's picture

I had a lot of issues with many of the entries this time, in that they really did feel too complex for small children to grasp (my entry included!) Having said that, I ended up voting for the #1 game purely because the theme was so wonderfully different.

---
Noah's Ark: The stand-out in terms of originality of approach and interesting game-play. My #2 vote because of a lack of clarity regarding ultimate intent. Still, a game that I think deserves development work.

Barnyard Rush: Too complex for the age-range was my first reaction. It didn't seem to go anywhere particularly either.

Habitat: I thought Sebastian had entered this one; it had his typical vagueness of intent but this was too vague for its own good. The tactile element was interesting.

Ketchikan: Way too complicated. OK, the bits are obviously cool, but everything else felt badly forced. I had this on my "will finish Top 3 but I don't like it at all" list (along with Noahs Zark.)

Bug Collecting: Was the other instant stand-out for me (along with #1.) Won my #1 vote purely because of the subject matter which made a change from zoo or farmyard anumals.

Stackanimals: Cute concept, but not actually a game. Having said that, I almost voted for the other non-game this time... Yes, I'm inconsistent.

Circle Of Life: In passing, I'd note that I deliberately didn't include a "formal" ruleset for Circle of Life because the #1 complaint about my previous entries seems to be that no-one ever understood them! (I'd also note that it started out as a "Jungle Book" game, and became a "Lion King" game later when I couldn't get the original set of animals to work properly!)

Farm Team: This is the non-game I almost voted for. Very innovative idea, with the whole resource pack concept being very strong.

Safari Party: I joked that I should vote for this one, because it was the same as my game only with stacking instead of tiling. I'm not convinced this one actually works though.

Sleepy Bear: Well, I identified yogurt as the author correctly :-) This one got rejected for feeling too complex but having the essence of an interesting idea at its heart. I think there are better ways to do it though.

Matching-Matching-Matching: This was my #3 vote, as I liked it very much indeed, and also because I felt that the chaining concept had potential.

Lost In The Fog: Way too complex. Some nice ideas that will turn up in other designs.

Animal Parade: Another entry that tried to have an evolving mechanism (like I did) such that the game remained interesting as the kids got older. Sadly, I thought that the different games were dull and confusing.

Noah Zark: As noted above, I had this on my "will finish in the Top 3 but I don't like it" list. The concept is cute, but the multiple mechanisms felt too complex to me to really work.

----
In the end, I voted for the #1 and #2 games (as my #1 and #2), so I'm obviously good at predicting what the mob will like. Congrats to all the winners.

Gogolski
Gogolski's picture

Monthly seems good. I voted (and participated) in the second and third GDS; after that, I went on a long holiday (without internet at all...), then I moved and had no internet (at all) and right now I have the shabbiest internet in existence due to a computer-accident and no money or time to fix all that...
(I realy, realy hated missing out on the showdown with the meeple/parts-requirements!!!!)

I did not vote this month because I could not decide between some of the games. (And I did not participate, because I couldn't find the time...) Count me back in next month (or the month after that)!

On a side note:
With this many entries of such high quality, maybe another way of point distribution should be considered. I often have a real hard time deciding how to vote. Distributing 10 points (or 15 or as many points as there are contestants) with a maximum of 5 points for one countestant and a minimum of 3 (or 5 or whatever) contestants that are awarded, would make it easier for me to vote, as I often have a hard time to decide which game I like better...
Of course, as we've had this discussion already and the GDS is liked as it is by most people, maybe we should not reopen that discussion now...

Xaqery
Xaqery's picture

Brykovian wrote:

A couple ideas for people to chew on:
  1. Cut the max word limit down to 500 (it's at 800 right now)
  2. If someone uses graphics, he/she have a 300 word limit
  3. Only the first 10 (? ... or 12?) entries are accepted

I personally don't like the idea of forcing entrants to vote ... I would hope that all of the entrants, as well as the other "regulars" who might not submit something to a Challenge will continue to give useful feedback to the designers (voting is rather useful feedback, imo).

1. Cutting the max word count is ok but I am skeptical that it would increase the votes by much. I like the idea for another reason. It will keep the games simple.
  2. My word count was about 425 and I had two pictures (Safari Party) I dont think I could have made the game simpler. I think we should allow pictures without penalty. I didnt realize untill later that you can add pictures directly to the post.
  3. At first I see that stopping at 10 or 12 would make people submit quickly which is interesting but I would hate to be working on something and then be #13.

I too believe we should not require people to vote. The last thing you want are disgruntled voting.

my 2-cent

- Dwight

[/][/]
markmist

Responding to the voting issue: I usually vote, but I didn't this time, because I couldn't get through all 14 entries. I hate for you to have to limit the entries, but for voting purposes - I am more likely to vote if I only have to read 10 or less. Plus, fewer entries makes it easier to decide my top 3.

Challengers

Wow! A lot of ground to cover here.
First of all, congratulations to Shifty Pickles and Hamumu.
My votes:
5 points - Entry # 4: Ketchikan
3 points - Entry # 14: Noah Zark
1 point - Entry # 5: Bug Collecting

Thanks to all who liked Noah's Ark enough to get me into the top three for the first time.

Hamumu wrote:

Noah's Ark
Certainly is physically engaging! I think it has the same problem my first idea for this contest has: kids will slam into each other and end up bruised and battered. One thing I really don't like is that it has no victory condition

Bruised and battered! My word! A careful re-reading will reveal that the players must remain in the circle while tossing the animals.
As far as the victory condition, the game is over when all of the animals are on board, doesn't that count? Maybe you just noticed the part after the "or" ... or when everyone gets tired of playing. I put that in there in case it turned out to be too difficult to get all of the animals aboard. I have a tendency to create non-competitive games because I have five kids, the younger two are seven and nine and, boy are they sensitive!

As for the proposed tweaks: maybe you could split the difference and give us 650 words. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, maybe you could just say 650 words and a maximum of two images (putting multiple images into one JPEG would be unacceptable). Capping the number of entries would suck. Just because. I mean this is supposed to be fun and, like Xaqery said, if you spent any amount of time polishing your entry, counting words and making images, then you'd be crushed if your entry was rejected. Besides, isn't that what the week-long deadline is for?

About voting: I personally read every entry. I may not have time to do a full-bore critique but I believe my vote reflects my over-all opinion of the quality of the submissions. I think it is wonderful that some folks review and comment on every entry. If I can't add anything substantive to what has already been posted, I leave it alone.

About the frequency: I hope the monthly format is maintained. I have become accustomed to checking for the next announcement. (Ever since I missed out with Halmsted back in April.)

Non-sequitur: these challenges are fun, and the thrill of seeing my presentations improve each month is worth the entire effort. It certainly helps me to become a more lucid rules-writer!

See you all next month!

Mitch

ShiftyPickles

Thanks to everyone who voted for me- I was shocked to win with all of the other great entries.

I must shamefully admit I myself did not vote- not because of any strategy but because of a hellishly busy week. I think most non-voters are probably in my same situation and for that reason I don't like the forced vote idea.

It is hard to get through the entries, but limiting them to the first 10 seems like it would result in a mad dash to turn in anything just so you were sure you had the chance.

I like the fabulous prizes for voters idea :)

-Pickles

Xaqery
Xaqery's picture

I have another 2-cents. I found it on the ground just now so feel free to reject it.

What if voting happened at the rate of 10 entries per week?

It would work like this if the entries were more than 10: Brykovian would take all the entries break them into random equal piles of 10 or less. Then present the piles to us 1 week at a time. We spend the week reviewing that pile and voting like normal. Then the following week we would do the same with the next pile and so on.

The next contest could then begin two weeks following the final pile just like it does now but in practice it means one contest every 5 or 6 weeks instead of 4.

One thing that is bad about this idea is it gives the contest administrator more work and I agree with everyone that what Brykovian does is wonderful and would hate to see it end.

- Dwight

Yogurt
Yogurt's picture

I think it's very important for people who submit to the Showdown to vote in the Showdown. You're asking other people to read and consider your work, and it's only fair to give others the same consideration.

There are going to be times when busy schedules make it impossible to vote, but nonethless I think there should be strong incentive to do the right thing.

My suggestion: Reserve the top three spots for people who voted. Showdown entrants who didn't vote would still be read and ranked by others, but they'd be capped at placing fourth, even if they had the most votes. Non-voters wouldn't lose out on any feedback, and could always tell themselves that they really won, but the headline would go to designers who were able to fully participate in the Showdown.

Yogurt

markmist

Here are some other suggestions and thoughts:

1) When there is say more than 8 entries, break them up into two brackets randomly. Have a vote on each one using the 5-3-1 pt scale. The top 3 from each bracket move on to the final showdown, where a final vote is cast. The pts from the first round would carry over. This would result in having to vote 3 times instead of once, but would eliminate the difficulty of choosing between 12+ entries that I feel is a barrier to voting.

2) Make it easier to vote. Can the admins set up some sort of poll with radio buttons?

3) It would be neat to have a small incentive to vote, but a bigger incentive should go to the people that participate and win. Otherwise, why are we even voting?

Scurra
Scurra's picture

markmist wrote:
3) It would be neat to have a small incentive to vote, but a bigger incentive should go to the people that participate and win. Otherwise, why are we even voting?
Um, I'm not entirely sure. Indeed, there seems to be a decent argument against voting altogether. Or maybe that's just Mr "Bitter-he-never-does-better" speaking? ;-))

Kreitler

markmist wrote:

First off, congrats to all the winners! My votes went to Bug Collecting, Surprise Party for Sleepy Bear, and Safari Party (not necessarily in that order). Noah's Ark was a close 4th. I thought these games were nicely physical (the most important aspect for me, personally), and the best balance of complicated-vs-interesting.

There were a lot of great games this month -- I especially liked Noah Zark -- but many of them lacked a markedly physical component. I felt a bit guilty about disqualifying so many excellent entries (Barnyard Rush and pretty much everything from Matching-matching-matching through the end of the list).

I thought that Ketchikan, Habitat and Circle of Life were all interesting games, but probably too complicated for kids (I didn't understand the rules very well, though I only had a chance to read each entry once this month).

Stackanimals was a beautifully simple concept, and one I think kids would enjoy, but I couldn't vote for a game with elimination.

As for Farm Team, as soon as I read Sebastian's comments, I realized he was right. I immediately came up with major simplifications: only the Farmer can use his hands, and only Animals can move objects across the board. Also, as Hamumu said, the Animal restrictions should be simplified to "must move like the animal." I was pretty disappointed that Farm Team finished so poorly, but enough people remarked that it was "interesting" and "the kids would like it," that I'm satisfied it's a decent idea -- just not necessarily a very good game. Scurra, your comments made my day!

Now, as the questions of "how do we get people to vote," "who should have to vote," and "why do we vote," I have this to say:

I agree with Yogurt that those who enter should vote. I would take his suggestion about entrants who don't vote one step further -- they should receive 0 points. This is related to the question of "why do we vote?" For me, it's about feedback -- the numbers are a quick way of understanding how my design and/or presentation skills stack up. That's why I enter -- to test myself against the other entrants. Entrants who don't vote are unwilling or unable to provide feedback for others, so it seems fair that they should forego feedback themselves.

I'm almost tempted to suggest a formalized process for this. After the entries are posted, allow a 1 day period for any entrant to withdraw. If you see 15 entries and know that you'll be working overtime that week, pull your entry. It's marked as "WITHDRAWN". People can still read it, but they know not to vote for it.

Ultimately, I think this is too much extra work for Bryk (or Scurra, if he moderates another brain-buster. :) ). The only advantage this has is preventing the loss of points that go to an entry that is later disqualified. It also gives people an honorable way out, rather than simply being bounced because they didn't vote.

K.

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut