Skip to Content

Games Design Showdown July 2005: "Bits and Pieces"

No replies
Scurra
Scurra's picture

Game Design Showdown
July 2005 Challenge - "Bits and Pieces"

This challenge is now closed

My design table is covered with pieces scavenged from old (and new!) games, ready to be used in some upcoming prototype or other. I picked up a random sample the other day and wondered what sort of game I could make using these bits.
So the challenge this month is a little different. Instead of a theme and genre, Iā€™m giving you a set of components, all of which should be incorporated in some fashion into the final design. This does not mean you cannot include additional components not listed here!

Notes:
1. Not every listed piece needs to be used in every play of the game. For instance, if 5 different colored pawns were listed, you could use them as scoring markers in a game that could handle up to 5 players. But all the different components must be used.
2. Assume that when five different colors are stated, they are the same five colors each time!

Component List
155 Wooden cubes (31 each of five different colors)
50 tiny Wooden disks (in one single color, Brown)
36 plain double-sided square cardboard Tiles (blue on one side, red on the other)
30 cardboard Shield tokens (in one single color, Blue, with 10 each of three types, labeled 1, 2 and 3)
16 Wooden disks (in one single color, Yellow, numbered 1 to 16)
15 plastic Pawns (3 each of five colors)
10 six-sided Dice (2 each of five colours)
10 Wooden Elephants (in one single color, Brown)
5 Wooden markers (in the shape of a chair, an onion dome, a head, a plain square and a dragon)
Cash (in 1,5,10 and 50 denominations)

Mechanics Limitation:
Auction: There should be an auction that occurs more than once during the game

Start Date: 14-July-2005
End Date: 22-July-2005, Noon GMT (approximately)
Voting: 22-July-2005 through 28-July-2005

Entries Submitted to this Challenge can be found at this link.

Be sure to check out the Showdown Overview and the Questions and Comments threads for more information.

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut