Skip to Content

121 Mechanic for a 2 players game

2 replies [Last post]
hpox

I had this in my Ideas and Brainstorming folder. Might as well share it.

Round 1: Joe play once, Mark play twice, Joe play once.
Round 2: Mark play once, Joe play twice, Mark play once.

It's always Joe, Mark, Joe, Mark, Joe, Mark... they alternate playing once and twice. In the first round, Joe might have the advantage of playing first but Mark get to play twice in a row, but Joe have the final word.

Johan
Johan's picture

Hello hpox

First I did not see the point of this sequence. It did look like the line 1222

Round: Joe plays once, Mark plays twice, Joe plays twice, Mark play twice and so on

I had to think for a while to see how this could be used and actually it solved an old problem I had.
For a few years ago I was creating a tactical war board game (WWI Fantasy style) and the problem was that I didn’t want it to feel like a chess combat (one side is active at the time). I tried several solutions but always ended up in:

Turn 1: (A) shoots with his units, (B) move with his units. Resolve close combat. Moral and discipline handling.
Turn 2: (B) shoots with his units, (A) move with his units. Resolve close combat. Moral and discipline handling.

Pinned down units and broken units from shooting could not move.

...and it didn’t work out. The game was stored away (right now I don't know where I put the drawings).

This sequence you presented did trig something and I think that you have found a way that the turn sequence will improve. I have something new to work from. The new sequence will look like:

Turn 1: (A) shoots with his units, (B) shoots with his units, (B) move with his units, (A) move with his units. Resolve close combat. Moral and discipline handling.
Turn 2: (B) shoots with his units, (A) shoots with his units, (A) move with his units, (B) move with his units. Resolve close combat. Moral and discipline handling..

Pinned down units and broken units from shooting could not move. Units that have fired can not move or can move with reduced speed.

Now I have to hunt down the old drawing and the remember the work I did. Then it's time for a new prototype.

Thanks hpox. This really helped and I hope it is OK that I use it.

// Johan

hpox

Yeah, go nuts. So far it looks like it could really work for your situation.

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut