Skip to Content

News Flash - No PowWow 2006

12 replies [Last post]
IngredientX
IngredientX's picture

Stephen Glenn will not be hosting PowWow, his annual game design convention, this year. He plans to resume in 2007. So much for my annual Virginia retreat! It's always a productive weekend, and fun to boot.

Hey dralius, I'm debating whether or not to go to Protospiel instead. Talk me into it! :)

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture
Re: News Flash - No PowWow 2006

IngredientX wrote:
I'm debating whether or not to go to Protospiel instead. Talk me into it! :)

Oh -- go to Protospiel, Gil ... all the cool kids are doing it!! (And I might do it too.) ;-)

-Bryk

Zzzzz
Zzzzz's picture

IngredientX wrote:
Stephen Glenn will not be hosting PowWow, his annual game design convention, this year........

This sucks!!! I was hoping to actually get to go this year! Work screwed me out of attending last year, what am I suppose to do this year?!?!?!?!?!

Zzzzz
Zzzzz's picture

Maybe we can talk Darkhorse into holding the 1st annual BGDF Gathering? =)

Nevermind, it would be easier to organize a BGDF gathering at another event/convention/etc....

Dralius
Dralius's picture

This is the first I have heard of the PowWow being canceled. It’s unfortunate; I hear it is a great gathering.

For Protospiel there is still much up in the air for this year’s event. What has been determined is that we will focus more on play testing since getting feedback from other designers is much different than what you get from laymen. With this in mind we have obtained a conference room at a nice hotel that we can use at least 14 hours a day to allow you to do just about as much testing as you can stand. We are still planning on having a few speakers and at least one optional group design activity.

Mike Petty is still working on arranging for the guest of honor, I have gotten verification from one publisher that they will attend and we are hopeful to draw some others. We will update the www.protospiel.org site with this information as soon as we can.

Otherwise it just allot of fun to hang out with a group of people who have the same interests.

jwarrend

There's no reason we couldn't host a PowWow-like event in the Northeast. Tom and I kicked around the idea a bit after the last PowWow, thinking that a winter event might be nice (since there wouldn't be any distractions; spending 5 days indoors during beautiful summer weather seems tough to justify!)

The trick is getting a firm enough commitment from enough attendees to justify the room rental. We have 8 different designers that have attended our Albany playtests, and there are at least a couple more in the northeast who might be persuaded to come. But that's still nowhere near the 25 or so that Stephen gets for PowWow.

Still, we could try to start small, with a multi-day event here in Albany, either in the summer or, more likely, the fall (people's travel schedules are too hard to coordinate in the summer, and we need everyone to attend to justify a multi-day event).

I'm willing to do some of the legwork if it's something people would attend. I just don't have the sense whether it's something folks would show up for or not.

-Jeff

markmist

We need something in the southeast, preferably somewhere in Florida! I went to Protospiel last year, but only because I happened to visiting family in Michigan.

Xaqery
Xaqery's picture

How many of us are going to GENCON?

I think that a few hours there would be fun play testing each others games.

It is somewhat centrally located and we would have time to plan it.

Maybe there already is a BGDF event there and I am just unaware.

my 2-cents

- Dwight

phpbbadmin

IngredientX wrote:
Stephen Glenn will not be hosting PowWow, his annual game design convention, this year.

Sux0rz! Actually that may be OK for me, as I don't think I could have made it this year.

-Darke

Sen

Is there anything similar that goes on in Canada?

I'm not much for travelling to the states - customs and me don't get along haha

Hedge-o-Matic
Hedge-o-Matic's picture

Now that I'm back in the east (Ohio), rather than out in the southwest (Arizona), I'm up for Protospiel, depending on how my job goes. Other local events sound good, too.

Scurra
Scurra's picture

Darkehorse wrote:
Sux0rz! Actually that may be OK for me, as I don't think I could have made it this year.
Sure, that's one way to look at it.
Hey, do you think they'd cancel Essen because I can't go this year...?

--
David
(who can't believe he's using his 1000th post to make a snippy comment to Darke ;-))

phpbbadmin

Scurra wrote:

(who can't believe he's using his 1000th post to make a snippy comment to Darke ;-))

Hey, remember how the system lost your posts the last time? I can 'make' that happen again if you don't straighten up!

Heh.
-Darke

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut