Skip to Content

List of your favourite numbers

13 replies [Last post]
X3M
X3M's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/28/2013

As the title dictates.

For a game, I am looking for lists of 5 numbers.
Each group, or race if you will, would have their own unique list of numbers.

The numbers would indicate a certain progress that the race is going to show during the game. Some might go linear, others might go exponential.

It is often that the list of numbers looks chaotic, yet all of them will have some logic to them.
There are only 2 rules:
- The numbers are not fractions.
- The numbers only go up.

Here are a few examples:

Triangular (my personal favourite)
1, 3, 6, 10, 15

Linear
3, 6, 9, 12, 15

Square
1, 4, 9, 16, 25

Powers of 2
1, 2, 4, 8, 16

Average of Linear with Square
2, 5, 9, 14, 20

My question is:
What is your own favourite list of numbers.
Or do you know of a list of numbers with a certain logic?
Just trying to get my hands on as much as possible lists.

questccg
questccg's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/16/2011
How about...

My #s: 1, 4, 5, 9, 14

And then you can have variations like:

My other #s: 1, 3, 4, 7, 11

or

Another #s: 2, 4, 6, 10, 16

You can figure out the numbering system, it's not rocket science! ;)

Samarkand
Offline
Joined: 03/25/2014
Fibonacci: 1,2,3,5,8 Simple

Fibonacci: 1,2,3,5,8
Simple (or whatever is the proper term): 2,3,5,7,11
My own personal might be: 3,5,7,17,21

adversitygames
adversitygames's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/02/2014
X3M wrote:What is your own

X3M wrote:
What is your own favourite list of numbers.
Or do you know of a list of numbers with a certain logic?

I could list off endless lists... there's no short answer here, your question isn't specific enough.

What are you trying to achieve with them? What do they represent? Do the numbers have an impact? Are higher numbers better or worse? If so, how do they balance?

Samarkand wrote:
Simple (or whatever is the proper term): 2,3,5,7,11

Aka prime numbers

X3M
X3M's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/28/2013
Thanks

questccg wrote:
My #s: 1, 4, 5, 9, 14

And then you can have variations like:

My other #s: 1, 3, 4, 7, 11

or

Another #s: 2, 4, 6, 10, 16

You can figure out the numbering system, it's not rocket science! ;)

Well, I believe you showed me a, for me, unexplored corner. They have the same system as the Fibonacci. Yet are useful variations.

Why are these your favourites?
Same reason as most Fibonacci users?

Samarkand wrote:
Fibonacci: 1,2,3,5,8
Simple (or whatever is the proper term): 2,3,5,7,11
My own personal might be: 3,5,7,17,21

Of course, the prime numbers actually fit good in the game. Even though they have the most chaotic rule. (And they can help others too with a reserved number.)

I don't understand your personal. What is the story behind that one? And what is the logic if there is one?

iamseph wrote:

I could list off endless lists... there's no short answer here, your question isn't specific enough.

What are you trying to achieve with them? What do they represent? Do the numbers have an impact? Are higher numbers better or worse? If so, how do they balance?

Well, of course I could create every possible list of numbers. And simply choose. But I have to limit to only 9 races (or less). So I have to choose. For the game that I had in mind, the list of numbers should have a certain logic to them.

The game is still scratches. But the numbers are going to be steps, stepping stones and goals in the game. I have yet to think of a theme, but I think it is going to be the technological advancement of a species.

If there is logic to the list of numbers. I can make sure the steps are good. In case of some lists like 1,2,4,8,16 or 1,2,3,5,8. Numbers are both stepping stones and steps.

By balance, my goal would be having about as much steps needed to reach the last number, often including all the previous ones.

Something with 1,10,11,12,13 would be a big no. There is no logic, no beauty, and the mechanics of the game can't use it.

adversitygames
adversitygames's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/02/2014
do the numbers have to be

do the numbers have to be sequential positive integers? if not
1, -3, 5, -7, 11...
1, 6, 4, 9, 7, 12...
etc

others:
1, 5, 6, 10, 11, 15...
1, 3, 6, 7, 9, 12, 13...
1, 5, 9, 12, 14, 15, 19...

X3M
X3M's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/28/2013
iamseph wrote:do the numbers

iamseph wrote:
do the numbers have to be sequential positive integers? if not
1, -3, 5, -7, 11...
1, 6, 4, 9, 7, 12...
etc

others:
1, 5, 6, 10, 11, 15...
1, 3, 6, 7, 9, 12, 13...
1, 5, 9, 12, 14, 15, 19...

Please re-read my first post.
And notice how 2 other contributiors gave me answers that i can use.

It isn't that hard to tell your favorite list of numbers that one might use for games.
Is it?

A logical list of 5.
Going up.
Players need to be able to see the logic.

And one more to add is that the higher numbers can be build up with previous ones.

adversitygames
adversitygames's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/02/2014
Ah I did miss it saying they

Ah I did miss it saying only going up. But your OP doesn't answer the question of whether negatives are allowed, so by those rules:
-11, -7, -5, -3, -1
is valid

> And notice how 2 other contributiors gave me answers that i can use.

What's your point? I gave you three answers you can use if you trim them down to 5 numbers. The important part of those suggestion wasn't the number of numbers, but the different patterns of numbers that no-one else had suggested.
Like I guess to make them more compatible you'd just do this:
1, 5, 6, 10, 11
1, 3, 6, 7, 9 (this one is less clear with only 5, but you hadn't said before that the player needs to see the pattern)

I did get the last one wrong though! Oops. It should have been...
1, 6, 10, 13, 15, 16, 21...
To cut it down to 5 numbers, I'd trim it to this:
5, 9, 12, 14, 15

let-off studios
let-off studios's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/07/2011
iamseph wrote:Ah I did miss

iamseph wrote:
Ah I did miss it saying only going up. But your OP doesn't answer the question of whether negatives are allowed, so by those rules:
-11, -7, -5, -3, -1
is valid

It's kind of like being asked in third grade to look at a list of numbers and tell the class which of them are divisible by 3. The answer, of course, is all of them. But that's not the answer they are looking for. :)

This also reminds me of the card-based game Lost Cities, where players start off at 0, but as soon as they commit to a particular path they need to earn at least 20 points along that path so they don't end up with penalty points at the end. I've not played the board game version, but I assume it's quite similar to the card game, but perhaps with more players.

In the case of Lost Cities, the range of numbers available for each path are the numbers 2 through 10.

X3M
X3M's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/28/2013
The game does not allow 6 or

The game does not allow 6 or more. Or else the 123123 adding sequence could have been used.

5,9,12,14,15 is strangely, a very useful one. Is this your favoriete?

Negatives are impossible for the game in mind. We are building up a science tech tree for an alien species.

***

@ let-off studios

This one?
http://mysteriouswritings.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Lost-Cities-Pla...

I need to find me the rules of lost cities. But not much time right now :(

Just to compare with what I have until now.

With the game in mind, I want the set of numbers. But I will place them in a big overview. Perhaps they come in handy in the future.

let-off studios
let-off studios's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/07/2011
Lost Cities

Yep, that's the one. Here's the link on BoardGameGeek:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/50/lost-cities

I'm sure there's a PDF of the rules somewhere there. When you've the time, have a look. From what I understand of your game design, Lost Cities seems fairly far off and unrelated. I'd keep this as a low priority.

X3M
X3M's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/28/2013
Thanks, that summary served

Thanks, that summary served its purpose within 3 minutes.

I now know I have a different mechanic in mind.

With events going right now. The question will change soon. First I need to see the number of cards needed for every set of numbers. Then I can combine the largest group that share the same ammount of time.

I hope this is the ammount of sets that I need.

If the ammount is overkill. I still would like to ask what your favoriete list is. Other than that, I have plenty of possibilites with logic now.

adversitygames
adversitygames's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/02/2014
> 5,9,12,14,15 is strangely,

> 5,9,12,14,15 is strangely, a very useful one. Is this your favoriete?

I don't have a favourite. They're just numbers, they're meaningless in abstract. Unless I know what I'm using them for (ie so they're not abstract), I don't care about any of them.

Zag24
Offline
Joined: 03/02/2014
http://oeis.org/
Syndicate content


forum | by Dr. Radut