Skip to Content

We are hiring a game designer

14 replies [Last post]
fillofillo
Offline
Joined: 09/16/2014

Hi,

I am writing on behalf of an existing and successful company. We are willing to hire a board game designer to support our lead game designer.

Applicants should send their CVs to the following email:
mancini.emil (at) gmail.com

Thank you very much.

Jay103
Jay103's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/23/2018
This is literally the most

This is literally the most vague job offer I've ever seen (though it does involve game design)! I'm pretty sure you'll get more interest with at least a little information, like game type.. I mean, you might want to hire me to work on a kids' game, but not for a Euro cube-pusher..

Best of luck!

questccg
questccg's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/16/2011
Please provide some basic information

Jay103 wrote:
This is literally the most vague job offer I've ever seen (though it does involve game design)!

Can you specify some details like:

1. Location. Where is this job located? Or is it strickly ON-LINE with the possibility of working from home?!

2. Name of the company doing the hiring. It's one thing to post an e-mail but making an "offer" means disclosing some information before everyone submits their resumes to an address.

That should be sufficient information. Without #1 well you don't know where this Job Position is for... having a ton of Resumes which are from all around but no where near the location for the job... Well is a waste of time for everyone. Knowing the company, helps because we can have an idea about culture and what this company DOES (I know they probably publish games). But clarifying this a bit... helps!

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you'll get more interest with at least a little information, like game type.. I mean, you might want to hire me to work on a kids' game, but not for a Euro cube-pusher...

I think the idea is to HIRE a "Game Designer". Meaning someone who designs all kinds of games. I personally am trying to cover different "grounds" with my games such that nobody can put me in a mold like: "Hey he designs Deck-Builders" or "He designs kids games (under 9)", etc.

When people look to hire a "Game Designer" they want that person to work on various projects with different Game Leads usually Directors of the firm that they work for... And in some instances those Directors report to third-party companies which are the ones responsible for the "vision" of the product. The "Game Designer" is responsible for "DOCUMENTING" and coordinating with different teams such as an Art Team (3D Modelers, Graphic Designers, 2D Illustrators) and producing the rulebook (one major deliverable) which correspond to the "vision" sought by the people higher up the "food chain".

Any ways I'm in process with this too... So I know it could very well be different than people thinking in their "basements". The actual jobs may be very different in that the approach is "technically" different than just thinking up ideas for games.

Of course this needs confirmation! So let's see what @fillofillo response is with regards to some of our "questions"...

Jay103
Jay103's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/23/2018
Sure, but nobody is an

Sure, but nobody is an all-around everything, and the folks who make detailed war games are different from the ones working on new M:tG expansions.

This post isn’t even from a company account, so it could be anything from an offer to find a freelancer to work on this one designers rulebooks to a full time job in Seattle working on balancing a 4x game...

questccg
questccg's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/16/2011
I agree with you 100%

However let's wait for a RESPONSE. This feels like all the "kids" that create an account to try to design the "Next Pokemon"! (lol) As if the world doesn't have enough "Pokemon" to go around...

This also makes me wonder about those "contests" people have posted in the past with very few details about the contest et al.

It frustrates me, because legitimate offers don't come around everyday... And the ones that do are a bit "questionable"(?) And I'm not saying this guy is not legit... I'm just saying a bit more INFORMATION than just: "We're looking for a Game Designer, e-mail this address..."

I wonder because it makes me think about spec designing... Something we are warned never to participate in. Here's an URL/Link to more about that:

https://www.nospec.com/what-is-spec

The bottom line is that people inexperienced might e-mail without asking any questions. But most sensible people will want some BASIC questions answered before submitting ANYTHING to an e-mail address.

So I agree with you 100%, you can't always wear all hats and design all kinds of games. That's why some further details would be very beneficial...

questccg
questccg's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/16/2011
Hmm... Not very happy...

This thread is exactly like all those KS threads: pointless. The person tells of an open position, includes an e-mail but no further information and then DISAPPEARS for how long(?!), not sure... But there is absolutely no follow-up with regards to this thread!

Doesn't inspire any confidence at all...

fillofillo
Offline
Joined: 09/16/2014
Thank you all for your

Thank you all for your feedback.

Here is some additional info about the position:

Location: Eastern Europe / ONLINE
The creative team is delocalized and we accept designers willing to work remotely. However, since the lead game designer is located in Eastern Europe, we prefer European and US designers from the east coast.

Name of the Company: undisclosed
We prefer not to disclose the name of the company at this stage. However, the company is well-established in the Kickstarter market.

Type of Game:
We create games which rely heavily on highly detailed miniatures. Dungeon crawlers, co-op, or competitive games in which theme and gameplay are key features of the game. We have not produced any euro-games so far.
Games for Ages: 14+

Role:
The candidate will provide support to the development and playtest of game mechanics and missions/scenarios. The candidate will interact mostly with the Lead designer and playtesting groups at this stage.
Proven experience in relevant games is highly appreciated.
(Art direction is not part of the task.)

Additional notes:
Native-speaking (US or UK English) candidates are preferred.

Being an international team, we look for a friendly, cooperative and pro-active candidate, able to communicate and work productively with co-workers from different backgrounds and nationalities.

Type of Contract:
We offer a project-based freelancing contract via a US-based corporation.

Jay103
Jay103's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/23/2018
Fantastic, thank you.

Fantastic, thank you.

questccg
questccg's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/16/2011
Project-Based(?!)

fillofillo wrote:
Type of Contract:
We offer a project-based freelancing contract via a US-based corporation.

Can you clarify what this means? "Project-based" sounds like it's NOT a full-time engagement, "Freelancing contract" sounds like billable hours or a preset "block" of time allocated for different task...

Is my understanding "correct"?? I'm just inquiring because the people who may be interested in this "position", might want a better understanding that it's a "temporary" position, at least the way you have "defined" the contract type.

questccg
questccg's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/16/2011
Thanks for providing more information

fillofillo wrote:
Here is some additional info about the position...

It's always best when all parties understand the nature of what is expected from BOTH sides ... So "Thank You!" for providing more details regarding the position.

Would it be possible to explain "HOW" you expect the accountability to occur in terms of time?! Like I said in my previous comment, will this be by time blocks or do you have some other form of tracking time?? I ask because most of the opportunities I have seen in this industry are "full-time" design work or freelance art paid by the piece... So this is very different from anything that I've seen before!

Just curious ... And helps clear up the details for interested applicants.

let-off studios
let-off studios's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/07/2011
Email

If I were the company/hiring agency, I would likely want to discuss this level of detail only with seriously-interested parties.

Additionally, since those kinds of details might be determined on a case-by-case basis (based on the applicant), I wouldn't want to "set anything in stone" by posting it on any ol' discussion forum.

Just sayin'.

Jay103
Jay103's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/23/2018
let-off studios wrote:If I

let-off studios wrote:
If I were the company/hiring agency, I would likely want to discuss this level of detail only with seriously-interested parties.

Additionally, since those kinds of details might be determined on a case-by-case basis (based on the applicant), I wouldn't want to "set anything in stone" by posting it on any ol' discussion forum.

Just sayin'.


Yeah, that's some serious detail requested. Now it sounds like a typical job posting to me.

But if people get past the "hmm I have some interest" phase of discussions, clearly they should be asking some of Quest's questions.

fillofillo
Offline
Joined: 09/16/2014
let-off studios is perfectly

let-off studios is perfectly right.

Additional details shall be disclosed only to serious candidates. We prefer not to release them publicly at this stage.

The job offer is serious and can potentially lead to a long term engagement. Working with a de-localized team allows for flexible conditions.

However, we only look for serious and motivated people.
This is an opportunity for young and motivated games designers to work with a team of professionals or for a professional game designer who needs to fill his schedule. If an applicant needs to know all the details of a job before sending a CV via email, he simply would not qualify anyway.

questccg
questccg's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/16/2011
This is VERY subjective

fillofillo wrote:
...If an applicant needs to know all the details of a job before sending a CV via email, he simply would not qualify anyway.

If I go one ANY of the Job websites like "www.monster.ca" or "www.workopolis.com" or "www.indeed.ca" or even "www.dice.com" ... There are tons of jobs and each job position is given the "Name of the Company", "Key Job Duties" and "Required Qualifications". You don't see "Undisclosed Company"... And I wonder why?

That's because people want to know the details of a company prior to submitting their CV for a job they have no clue what it entails.

Granted most don't offer up salaries... (Some do).

So your argument about "not qualifying" is very "subjective". Most people want to know to WHOM they are submitting their CV (Name of the company). Even contractual job positions nowadays state WHOM you will be working for and NOT the consulting firm... So I would be more "open" to sharing details than not.

So please forgive the questions for more information.

Best of luck finding the right candidate for the job position!

X3M
X3M's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/28/2013
This is IT!

fillofillo wrote:
Name of the Company: undisclosed
We prefer not to disclose the name of the company at this stage. However, the company is well-established in the Kickstarter market.

This is one big flag!

It doesn't work like that in the Western countries.

Syndicate content


forum | by Dr. Radut