Skip to Content

Written rules for 100 games, on route to 1000. Want to help out?

7 replies [Last post]
Sucao

Every day I write new rules for a board game idea that I have. Some of them could really go somewhere. Some of them are crap.

I don't really know what to do with all these rules. Opening them up for us all to use is the way to really get something done. Ideas, suggestions, and such are much appreciated. And if someone or ones would love to collaborate then we could really make some great stuff.

http://www.FlaatGames.com

rcjames14
rcjames14's picture
Kudos

The level of output is remarkable. I looked through a few of the recent designs and they are pretty coherent. Some of them may qualify as activities, team building exercises and learning tools as opposed to publishable games and some of them seem to be very slightly adapted from existing game mechanics, but I think that's beside the point. Since most of the ones that I read on the site looked pretty fun, there is a lot of promise here for developing some of the games individually and also combined as a collection. For example, the drum solo reminds me of camp type activities and adds a little more structure to the kind of group play that kids as well as adults might want to engage in when off the grid. But, in a sense, even on the grid, the elegance of that particular mechanic underlies the fundamental design of Guitar Hero and Rock Band as well.

In any case, what brings on this desire to design games at such breakneck speed? I'm lucky if I have a good idea for a game once a month and I spend most of my time making games... I can't imagine the amount of energy it must take to write down one a day. I have quite a few game designs that never see the light of day, but they are not as structurally sound or wide ranging in themes. The range of creativity, both from an inspiration and a mechanics point, is quite impressive.

But, I guess more directly my question is: what do you plan to do with all that you have written and still plan to write? I can't imagine you have the opportunity to playtest them all. Are you looking for that? Or feedback on the designs? Or someone to develop them into a published game? Or are you just putting them out there because your mind will not let you do otherwise?

perrochon
Whoa!

Whoa, this is impressive. I don't even know where to start. Some even have video, e.g.

http://flaatgames.com/buy/focus.php?id=11

Sucao
Not Sure...

rcjames14 wrote:

But, I guess more directly my question is: what do you plan to do with all that you have written and still plan to write? I can't imagine you have the opportunity to playtest them all. Are you looking for that? Or feedback on the designs? Or someone to develop them into a published game? Or are you just putting them out there because your mind will not let you do otherwise?

Well, this post is here for us because,... not sure what to do with these yet. The whole idea is to make amazing games that the world can enjoy.

The way to make great board games is quantity. Just lots and lots of board games. The first 800 may not be world class, but by the 900+ ones, they will be great.

So the point is to make great games for everyone to enjoy. If people like how some of these games start, then please take them to the next level. I'll keep creating on my side too. With collaboration and team work, we can all really make some great games. If artists, playtesters, designers, or anyone wants to help with making great games, then we'll find something for you to do.

Thanks for the question rcjames14

rcjames14
rcjames14's picture
Solicitation or Exclamation

Sucao wrote:
The way to make great board games is quantity. Just lots and lots of board games. The first 800 may not be world class, but by the 900+ ones, they will be great.

10,000 hours or 1,000 designs. It's a crazy pace, but also a recipe for great things. I can dig that.

I haven't gotten a chance to look through more than the first few designs. But let's say that there were a few which might work as a commercial project. What role would you like to have over them? Do you have the time and desire to collaborate further? Do you want credit, a share of the revenues or just to see them turn into fun for the world? Is this primarily practice of the art for you at the moment and meant to be inspirational to others, or are you putting these games out there to see if someone will help you make them?

Sucao
2 part answer

rcjames14 wrote:
10,000 hours or 1,000 designs. It's a crazy pace, but also a recipe for great things. I can dig that.

Yea, not sure if 1000 games will get me 10,000 hrs, but it's a start!

rcjames14 wrote:
I haven't gotten a chance to look through more than the first few designs. But let's say that there were a few which might work as a commercial project. What role would you like to have over them? Do you have the time and desire to collaborate further? Do you want credit, a share of the revenues or just to see them turn into fun for the world? Is this primarily practice of the art for you at the moment and meant to be inspirational to others, or are you putting these games out there to see if someone will help you make them?

Very good thought provoking questions. The 1st part below is the ground rules for people to use the rules. The 2nd part is my own point of view and hopes.

1st part - Use them as you wish
These game rules are open source. People may use them, and take all of the credit. Let us know what you come up with so we can all have fun! Best of luck for that!

2nd part - Working together, we'll get more done
I would love to help others fully develop some of these games. If someone would like my help on creating any of these games (by more than just writing the rules), then I am totally in. This way of collaboration can result in many more, and much higher quality games.

If you have any ideas for any of these games, or would like to be a part of a long term project, then let's do it!

rcjames14
rcjames14's picture
Collaboration Is Fun

Sucao wrote:
If you have any ideas for any of these games, or would like to be a part of a long term project, then let's do it!

Give me some time to look over what you have written up so far and digest it. Of course, at the rate of growth, one per day, I'll have to be quick about it or find myself increasingly behind. But, I think that there may be some treasures in here that could appeal to publishers. So, if you're game for working together, we'll be in touch.

As a side note, your frantic pace reminds me a little of a member I talked with a lot at the end of last year. He kind of fell off the list by Christmas, but his energy was remarkable and imagination was remarkable.

Sucao
Recent Games

Hey RcJames14,

I am definitely not one to denounce my own games. But a lot of them have recently been games that are more simplistic in nature. They are more one dimensional, or based much more on luck.

Many of the early games are more strategic and complex. While I love complex and strategy games more, the simple ones built up confidence within myself. I am just starting to come back into the complex games, which will start appearing more this week and such.

That's just an fyi as you are looking.

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut