Skip to Content

2149ers Playtest Rules

10 replies [Last post]
bonsaigames
bonsaigames's picture

Attached are the most current playtest rules as well as the proposed box bottom image. Let me know what you guys think.

Levi Mote
Bonsai Entertainment
www.bonsaigames.net

bonsaigames
bonsaigames's picture
Anything?

Any advice / criticism is welcome. We want to make sure the game is as fun and engaging as possible.
Thanks,
Levi

Maaartin
Nothing :D

I can't see the link to the rules.

hotsoup
hotsoup's picture
I can't see a link to the

I can't see a link to the rules either, but in terms of the box design, if you don't have a big budget for it, I would go for something simpler. The black floaty things don't really work, nor does the Star Wars scroll title description. If it was me, I'd go with a public domain image or painting of the asteroid belt with the description in white against a black/starry background and the game stats.

Something like one of these: http://www.astronomy.com/~/media/import/images/e/1/e/asteroids.ashx?la=e...

http://www.outerspaceuniverse.org/media/asteroid-belt-375x200.jpg

I don't know if these are in the public domain, but I suspect that you could get an artist on deviantart or someplace similar to make you a similar image for not too much.

bonsaigames
bonsaigames's picture
Oops

Here's the link to the BGG posting of the rules. I don't know what I did wrong here. I'm guessing you can only add one thing to a post and I tried to add two.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/715748/wip-2149ers-asteroid-mining-game

bonsaigames
bonsaigames's picture
Rules

For those of your who do not frequent the BGG boards, I have included the game rules below. Any help / feedback is appreciated.
Levi

2149'ers Rules
In the year 2149 a new gold rush has begun. This time the mineral rich lands are in the asteroid belt just beyond Mars. You and your fellow prospectors have gone in together on a Martian Processing Plant and you've each bought a mining ship to begin harvesting the riches of the asteroid belt. Although you may have bought-in together, you have no intention of sharing your riches with your competition.

Components
• Mars Processing Plant board
• Asteroid Field board
• 12 Material Trackers (yellow cubes)
• 36 Asteroid Stickers
• 36 Material Stickers
• 36 Asteroid Chips
• 5 Mining Rockets
• 40 Fuel Tokens (red)
• 1 twelve-sided dice
• 40 Upgrade Cards
• One 20 Credit Cash Bundle
• Two 10 Credit Cash Bundles
• Four, 5 Credit Cash Bundle
• Four, 1 Credit Cash Bundles

Setup
1. Place the 36 Asteroid Chips in the 6 x 6 squares of the Asteroid Field.
2. Place the Mars Processing Plant Mat beneath the asteroid field.
3. Place the Upgrade Cards, the die, the Fuel Tokens, and Coins in easy reach of all players.
4. Place one Material Tracker on the name of each Material listed on the Mars Processing Plant.
5. Each player receives a Mining Rocket and places it on the matching colored docking space on the Mars Processing Plant board.

Asteroid Chips Set-up
Each Asteroid requires 2 stickers. 1 common asteroid sticker back and 1 individual Material sticker. Peel these stickers off and center them on the Asteroid Chips so that each chip has a common asteroid sticker on one side and an individual Material sticker on the other.

Players: 2 - 5
Ages: 12+
Game Time: 30–60 min.

Turns
Each turn consists of the following 7 Phases. All players must complete their actions in each Phase before moving on to the next one.

1. Fueling Phase
Each ship docked at the MPP receives enough fuel to fill his Mining Rocket. Each rocket starts the game with a 5 token fuel tank.

2. Launch Phase
Each player with a docked ship, starting with the Player who has the most fuel (roll a die to break ties) may then choose an asteroid to land their Mining Rocket on. The farther the asteroid is from Mars, the more fuel is spent getting there. Each row you place your ship away from Mars equals 1 fuel token spent to reach it. Spent fuel tokens are discarded back to the common pile.

3. Mining Phase
Each player then collects the Asteroid token their ship is sitting on, without showing it to the other players. Each Asteroid lists which type of Material you were able to mine from it and how many tons you got. Each Mining Rocket begins the game with a 5 ton cargo hold. After Mining Asteroids, you must discard face down back into the asteroid field any Asteroid Chips that add up to more than your current cargo limit. You can choose which to keep and which to discard as long as the total tonnage does not exceed your Cargo Hold's limit.

4. Fly or Fall Phase
Each player with fuel remaining, starting with the Player who has the least cargo (roll a die to break ties) may move through the asteroid field. Each space you move costs you one Fuel Token. You may move diagonally. You will not be able to mine the asteroid you stop on until the following Turn's Mine Your Asteroid Phase.
Any player may instead allow their Mining Rocket to fall back to their dock on the Mars Processing Plant without spending any Fuel Tokens.

5. Selling Phase
Each player who came back to Mars may now sell their cargo in Materials to the Mars Processing Plant. Each ton of Materials sold to the plant moves the Material token up the column and details the price received for that material. The more of a given material the Processing Plant currently has, the less it will pay for more of that material.
If two or more players want to sell the same material to the plant on this phase, roll a die to determine who gets to sell first.
Once a token has been sold to the processing plant, place the token back into the asteroid field in any open space face up. Other players may collect these tokens on future turns.
You may also choose to hold cargo instead of selling it to the processing plant. This cargo will still count toward your cargo limit.
Each player who came back to Mars may also sell back any unspent Fuel; receiving 1 Credit for every two fuel tokens returned.

6. Upgrade Phase
Each Player who came back to Mars may now buy Upgrades at a cost of 5 Credits per upgrade card. No Mining Rocket may ever have more than 3 Upgrades on it. If a player decides to purchase a fourth upgrade, he or she will have to discard one of them before the end of this Phase.
Note: The Long Range Asteroid Sensor Upgrade replaces the Asteroid Sensor Upgrade.

7. Processing Phase
The Mars Processing Plant will now process one of the materials. Since you all own the Plant, the players will vote to pick which material will be processed this Turn. The chosen Material Tracker will be lowered back onto the name of the material creating demand for that material on the following round. If there is no majority vote, each player rolls the die to determine which player chooses what material is processed this Turn.
Players may also vote not to process anything.

Win Conditions
Once all of the Asteroids have been revealed, and all the Materials & Fuel have been sold, the game is over and the player with the most Credits wins!

bonsaigames
bonsaigames's picture
New deck

After playtesting feedback was gathered, we heard that the game felt too much like a claw machine with not enough randomness. So we added an Earth Resource Exchange deck to create a bit of randomness from back home.

http://www.bgdf.com/node/5552
http://www.bgdf.com/node/5553

J. Alex K.
J. Alex K.'s picture
What design program are you

What design program are you using for your box bottom? I think the components that are there are good, but it could use a little polish around the edges. The text is a little difficult to read as well, I would maybe suggest doing away with the "Star Wars scroll" like feel and just make this black text on a white rectangle with border, or asymmetrically shaped white background.

The font for the title and the age/time labels seems a little 'on the nose' too. Perhaps a more subtle, 'lived in' futuristic theme would look cooler? Like this one, or others like it: http://www.dafont.com/earth-kid.font

At the risk of seeming like I'm just throwing out criticisms here, I also think the gray box leaves something to be desired. Perhaps a nice space look would be better, or a making the gray look metallic with some gradients, or something like this?: http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_490/1269896411BSuIWu.jpg

Hope this helps!

bonsaigames
bonsaigames's picture
ver 2

I replaced the grey with a Hubble star field pic and followed some of your suggestions. Look any better?

J. Alex K.
J. Alex K.'s picture
Wow, what a difference! I

Wow, what a difference!

I think this looks much better, but of course, design can be very subjective. What do you think and what do others think?

bonsaigames
bonsaigames's picture
Update

We just posted an updated version of the playtest rules here...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/715748/wip-2149ers-asteroid-mining-game

We added a couple of new components which I think will enhance the overall experience of the game.

As always, feedback / comments / criticisms either here or on BGG is welcome. We want this to be an excellent and elegant game.

Levi Mote
Bonsai Entertainment
www.bonsaigames.net

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut