Skip to Content

Multideck 1.7.1 is available - Create custom card decks for prototypes

5 replies [Last post]
Rick-Holzgrafe
Rick-Holzgrafe's picture

Multideck is a Macintosh app for creating custom card decks for prototypes. Version 1.7.1 is now available in the Mac App Store.

This release introduces multiple selections, allowing you to select multiple items and make batch changes to them, and to apply new alignment and spacing features. Also new are the Margin Width and Margin Color features, which allow adding colored borders to items on the cards. Finally, there are a number of minor improvements and bug fixes.

For more information, please visit the Multideck web site. For an introduction to Multideck and its basic features, please visit our Multideck How-To Videos web page. Thanks!

Drion22
Drion22's picture
Anything similar for Windows

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm new to this application space, are there any similar apps to this for Windows?

Tim Edwards
That could be very useful for

That could be very useful for me.

Could you say something about its compatibility with The Game Crafter?

Thanks!

Rick-Holzgrafe
Rick-Holzgrafe's picture
For Windows, try NanDeck

I'm a Mac-only guy, and Multideck only runs on Macs. But I see constant praise and enthusiastic discussion of nanDECK, so if you're a Windows-only person I'd recommend looking into it.

Rick-Holzgrafe
Rick-Holzgrafe's picture
Compatibility with The Game Crafter

TL;DR: Multideck is compatible with The Game Crafter, and is designed to be a good tool for creating card images to upload there.

Details:
To prepare a card deck for publication by The Game Crafter, you need to create separate image files for each card face and card back, and then upload them to The Game Crafter's site. Multideck's Export function is designed for this. Exporting will create a folder of suitable card images which you can just upload to TGC.

The output images are in PNG format. For TGC compatibility you should select the 300dpi, "Include Bleed Margin", and "Separate Image Files" options in the Export panel (or just click the "Print on Demand" button, which will accomplish the same thing).

You do not need to use TGC's templates in order to create cards for TGC in Multideck, but you do need to be familiar with the templates. In particular, you should be aware of the bleed and "safe zone" requirements.

Multideck will draw a card outline (the intended "cut" border for your card) in its Layout view while you are designing. But that outline will not appear in the exported images, which will be larger than that outline because they will include the specified "bleed" margin. You may have items such as background art that extend beyond the card outline into the bleed margin in order to guarantee that there is no inadvertent white space at the edges of your printed cards. Multideck also displays a "Safe Border" in this view to help you to place important content where it is guaranteed not to be cut off by registration issues. This is the same border as the dotted blue "safe zone" outline that TheGameCrafter supplies in their templates, and it also will not appear in your printed or exported card images.

In short, you should have no problems. Please do read the built-in Help, which has a section talking in detail about the Export function.

Thanks for your interest!

Tim Edwards
Sweet. Thanks very much for

Sweet. Thanks very much for the info. Sounds great!

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut