Skip to Content

Does anyone know about 999 games Bring & Try mode

5 replies [Last post]
indrkl

Hi all,
I'm currently designing a strategy board game (been working with it for 5 months now) but I'm already thinking about the future. I checked out 999 games website and the only way they accept new games is through a bring & try mode. Now it did say it takes place 4 times a year in Amersfoot Ducosim game exhibition. So anyway I have questions hoping maybe someone knows about that (maybe has some experience with them or is from the company).

1) I'm from estonia, so would they even consider my game, or is it meant more for locals? The question why I asked it, is that their whole website was in dutch only so I had to use google translate to get any intel out from there.
2) How do I find out when winter and/or Spring fair is taking place.
3) I'd be grateful if anyone shared some knowledge or past experience.

melx
Hi

Hi,

1) This depends on game. Sure they would consider if this is a good one!
But why You considered them? There are plenty of other good publishers who accept game submissions without wanting to meet You face-to-face.
I think it is kind of pointless to travel from Estonia to Netherlands just showing Your game and risk that they could say "Sorry This game doesn't fit to our program"

Look around for other publishers and just send the e-mails one-at-time if Your game is ready and well-tested!
You may start here: http://www.bgdf.com/node/621

Good luck!
Melx - another estonian

indrkl
Thanks for the list. Actually

Thanks for the list. Actually I wasn't only considering 999, but since they were one possibility I simply wanted to learn more about the possibility.
Anyway, if I'm making a 3-6 player strategy game which lasts around 2-3 hours, what publisher would you suggest?

Dralius
Dralius's picture
indrkl wrote:Thanks for the

indrkl wrote:
Thanks for the list. Actually I wasn't only considering 999, but since they were one possibility I simply wanted to learn more about the possibility.
Anyway, if I'm making a 3-6 player strategy game which lasts around 2-3 hours, what publisher would you suggest?

Can you tell us more about the weight, style, theme etc..?

indrkl
So, it is a strategy game

So, it is a strategy game with strong diplomatic interaction. It has quite a few rules (I think in the end the manual will be around 6-8 A4) and elements and usually first game is spent on learning all the aspects of the game, but I wouldn't consider it a hardcore strategy game, cos I've played with people who are not hardcore strategy gamers or don't play strategy games at all and they have found it quite enjoyable. I think its cos I've used the approach, "very few restrictions, lots of opportunities". Also most of the game elements are there to create opportunities of player interaction, often making it a smart idea for expert players interact with beginners in a way where they would have to explain a certain strategy to make a deal for example.

Theme is a mix of dark ages and renaissance, the game is all about change of a city, so you could look at it as a city, starting out in the dark ages, but could end up in renaissance kind of city.

So it takes around 2-3 hours to play and is most enjoyable with 4-5 players, mainly because, as with 3 players meaningful diplomatic interaction is possible, it doesn't occur as easily and often as with 4 and more players.

Game has 2 decks of 45 and 65 cards, 20 around A5 cards for roles and scenarios and 7 around A6 sized cards. Also it should have around 4 sheet full of thick tokens, 6 clock-like income counters, a 3 or 5 minute sand-glass and 65 9mm dice (basically they replace soldiers miniatures, so you can use them as dice in combat as well). I can't actually evaluate the weight of this whole thing as of now, but I guess it is slightly lighter than civilization or Arkham Horror (just games I can compare to).

Lots of it is still very open, and looking now this list, it's starting to seem little bit scary to me :P . However necessity has made me use most of those things (ok, maybe not the 65 dice).

BubbleChucks
Here are some quick name

Here are some quick name suggestions

Social Engagement
City Limits
Structural Integrity
Building Relations
Changing Times
Develop Mental

I would possibly pick 'Building Relations' out of those suggestions. It encapsulates the building aspect of the game (city development) and it also highlights the central mechanic which is the management of opportunities through player interaction.

I'm not sure if era is entirely suitable, being that the dark ages and renaissance are two clearly defined time periods.

Age Of Uncertainty?

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut