Skip to Content

Need help in publishing about 500 board game from my idea

6 replies [Last post]
Sharon Jones

I have two board games I need to take out of pro type,and get them published. I need help with this, I don't know how much capitol I'm going to need.

JaffetC
JaffetC's picture
Sharon Jones wrote:I have two

Sharon Jones wrote:
I have two board games I need to take out of pro type,and get them published. I need help with this, I don't know how much capitol I'm going to need.

cost of printing plus components or price of unit after printed and packaged... Cost of Art, + cost of shipping = the basic minimum amount of how much you will need to get it done. The sale market up is anywhere from 4-8 of the base price with rarely seeing games go for hundreds... dont get me wrong the Death Angel RPG Premium version did go for that high so it is possible...

NativeTexan
NativeTexan's picture
Tasty Minstrel

Sharon Jones wrote:

Tasty Minstrel Games has a really useful page that describes the process and points to useful resources: http://playtmg.com/pages/how-to-make-board-game

All the best!

Kyle Gabhart
Driftwood Games
www.driftwoodgames.com

AsgerSG
Are there any estimates on

Are there any estimates on what a game designer can expect to earn on getting his game published?

I fully well realize that we are not talking about any significant amounts for even a relatively good, and decently selling game, but just curious none the less. More over, I also realize that it probably depends a lot, but a shot in the dark with regards to the span could be fun to know :)

Asger

NativeTexan
NativeTexan's picture
AsgerSG wrote:Are there any

AsgerSG wrote:
Are there any estimates on what a game designer can expect to earn on getting his game published?

I fully well realize that we are not talking about any significant amounts for even a relatively good, and decently selling game, but just curious none the less. More over, I also realize that it probably depends a lot, but a shot in the dark with regards to the span could be fun to know :)

Asger

Count on making nothing for selling your game to a publisher. Then when you find that selling your game covers the raw material costs you put into prototyping, and your travel costs to a couple of gaming conventions, and there is just enough money left over for a nice dinner, you can consider yourself quite fortunate.

If you are really, really lucky, you might hit it out of the park the first time that you go for a real publication. Here's my story:

- February 2009: Initial work on Arctic Scavengers begins
- May 2009: First print run of 100 copies of Arctic Scavengers (after art fees, printing costs, marketing, and other expenses, managed to make around $300 profit)
- July 2009: Second print run of 100 copies of Arctic Scavengers (made about $1000 profit)
- August 2009: Demoed game for Jay at Rio Grande
- September 2009: Signed deal with Rio Grande
- Fall 2011 / Winter 2012: Rio Grande version of Arctic Scavengers with re-worked art and professional-grade materials is going to print. Initial print run is 11,000 copies. Rough estimate is $1 in royalties per game sold.

Hope that helps!

Kyle Gabhart
Driftwood Games
www.driftwoodgames.com

bluepantherllc
bluepantherllc's picture
Publishing

The answer depends on whether or not you want to publish it yourself or get a game company to publish your title.

The second scenario is easier. Royalties run anywhere from 4-5% for a new designer and up to perhaps 6% -7% for an established designer.

If you want to publish it yourself - how much work do you want to do? Do you want to handle all the production or source out some or most of that? What about selling an order fulfillment. You can do as little or as much of the process as you want to do. That choice is what will drive how much money you make (or lose) out of the venture.

SJ

AsgerSG
Thanks!

Thank you to both of you! Both replies give me some idea about the scenario if I ever am so lucky to get that far :)

I assume it is more or less the same on both sides of the big pond? Europe/US.

Asger

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut