Skip to Content

Paper Money Podcast 2010 Show Guide

9 replies [Last post]
slam
slam's picture

I've been listening to the Paper Money podcast, which is a podcast about the board game business. It's good too listen to, but I couldn't say that it's been particularly helpful to me as a self-publisher as it seems to focus more on the bigger manufacturers. However, their recent show about trade shows convey lots of essential information about the whole year's calendar's worth of Board Game trade shows, and which ones you should consider attending if you are a designer, a publisher, a buyer, or whatever. Everyone should listen to it, no matter what your particular situation is.

Link to Podcast
http://www.imagigrafx.com/podcast/?p=103

List of Trade Shows with commentary
http://www.imagigrafx.com/game_events.asp

InvisibleJon
InvisibleJon's picture
TAGIE looks like a really worthwhile convention to attend.

Thanks for pointing us at that edition of Paper Money. After reading over the list of conventions, TAGIE caught my eye. After reading up on it, TAGIE looks like a really worthwhile convention for game inventors to attend. I'd been going to GTS, but TAGIE seems like it'd provide a much greater return on my time invested. I just can't seem to find how much it costs to register for it. I suspect it isn't cheap.

http://www.toyandgameinventors.com/index.htm

Just thought I'd draw the group's attention to that specific one.

Dralius
Dralius's picture
Here is a clue

InvisibleJon wrote:
I just can't seem to find how much it costs to register for it. I suspect it isn't cheap.

I suspect your right. In the section on refunds it says

"Refund requests received on or before October 19, 2009 will receive a full refund, less a $100.00 processing fee. "

If the processing fee is $100 the tickets must be outrageous.

InvisibleJon
InvisibleJon's picture
Yep...

That's what I was keying off of too.

truekid games
truekid games's picture
it's $1200.

it's $1200.

slam
slam's picture
truekid games wrote:it's

truekid games wrote:
it's $1200.

[hyperventilates]

InvisibleJon
InvisibleJon's picture

truekid games wrote:
it's $1200.
Ah. Ooookay. My odds of attending in 2010 just dropped significantly.

Upside: If you're there, you're surrounded by serious people who know you're serious about being there.

Question: Where'd you find the answer? I didn't try Googling for the answer. If you did I'd like to know the phrase you used.

truekid games
truekid games's picture
yup, i googled "tagie game

yup, i googled "tagie game convention cost", the first search result had a list of convention blurbs/costs. here's the tagie one:

The Toy and Game Inventor Expo
Date: November 19 – 20
Cost:$1,200
Description: TAGIE: The Toy and Game Inventor Expo is the premier toy and game industry event of it's kind. Held on Thursday, November 19th and Friday, November 20th at Chicago's beautiful and historic Navy Pier, TAGIE is the only Industry event designed exclusively to help the new toy and game inventor and entrepreneur.

Nix_
Nix_'s picture
Since when do new game

Since when do new game designers have $1200?

gameprinter
gameprinter's picture
Paper Money

slam wrote:
I've been listening to the Paper Money podcast, which is a podcast about the board game business. It's good too listen to, but I couldn't say that it's been particularly helpful to me as a self-publisher as it seems to focus more on the bigger manufacturers. However, their recent show about trade shows convey lots of essential information about the whole year's calendar's worth of Board Game trade shows, and which ones you should consider attending if you are a designer, a publisher, a buyer, or whatever. Everyone should listen to it, no matter what your particular situation is.

Link to Podcast
http://www.imagigrafx.com/podcast/?p=103

List of Trade Shows with commentary
http://www.imagigrafx.com/game_events.asp

Thanks for the plug! And your too true feedback! I've been wanting to do more "small press/getting started"-type stuff on the show, but since that side of the industry doesn't generate a ton of news, it's hard to wedge in that kind of thing and still be topical. And brief! Every week we try to keep the show around 30 minutes and then run over. That said, we're going to do less straight up interviews this year and more topics (next week: miniatures games) centered around interviews. It should be fun.

If you can wait, I'll be speaking at Protospiel this summer on self-publishing and short runs (Thanks, David!). Unlike TAGIE, it won't set you back a house payment. TAGIE is really good, but I'd recommend it more for starter companies than individual designers.

Thanks for listening -

Ben Clark

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut