Skip to Content

The Pitch Project 2020

6 replies [Last post]
Juzek
Juzek's picture

Who else is taking part in The Pitch Project? How many pitches are you trying? are you also in the feedback group?
I see JewellGames is there.

I think I will give it a shot for all of my completed games. (since I don't think I would do a Kickstarter any time soon)

questccg
questccg's picture
Would have been nice had you shared a URL/Link to their page

For everyone else, here is the website you can use to participate in this event on 7 November 2020:

https://allbutpublished.com/

I personally will not be participating in a "contest" to WIN pitches when you can pitch people directly without needing your ideas to compete with other game concepts. In my opinion, this will be a take on who has the "nicest" sell sheets and attract the eyes of the Judges BEST.

I could be wrong, The Game Crafter just had a contest in which the shortlist was added some games that THEY (The Judges) found FUN and interesting, aside from those who got the most votes.

Anyhow, in the future, if you post about a CON or TableTop Event, please provide sufficient information for other people to find out more about the event in question...

Kristopher
Aka QuestCCG
"Indie" Game Designer
BGDF.com Moderator/Administrator

nswoll
questccg wrote:I personally

questccg wrote:

I personally will not be participating in a "contest" to WIN pitches when you can pitch people directly without needing your ideas to compete with other game concepts.

But that's the whole point right? There's no conventions any more to pitch directly to publishers. I also much prefer pitching in person at conventions, it's been a very successful avenue for me. I had thought I would get at least 2 more games signed this year, but no conventions means I haven't even pitched a game this year.

questccg wrote:

In my opinion, this will be a take on who has the "nicest" sell sheets and attract the eyes of the Judges BEST.

Yeah, this is what I worry about also. I'm bad at graphic design but good at game design and I'm not sure that translates on a sell sheet.

JewellGames
JewellGames's picture
~

This is my only pitch this year. I'm in the sell sheet feedback group.

I am not an illustrator and have limited graphic design myself. I would like to think the judges who are filtering the sell sheets before passing on to the publishers are sticking to the rubric, which mentions nothing about the best looking sell sheet, but rather that your sell sheet conveyed your game's main mechanism and features appropriately and that the game seems like something publishers would be interested in.

I'm still working on my sell sheet (need to improve pencil mockup and get a good in-game photo), but you can see it here:

I'm not sure I'll get past the judging stage because my game is a very unique blend of game component and school supply.

questccg
questccg's picture
Hmm... Not so sure about that

You must be kidding @Gregg...?! If you designed this Sell Sheet YOURSELF, you are an AMAZING illustrator/Graphic Designer. It looks totally PRO! You may think that you ONLY "dabble" but frigg -- It looks freaken amazing!

So you have some CRAZY design skills to pull off a Sell Sheet like that...!

Best of luck to you for this game concept. Hopefully the Judges like what they see...!

Note #1: Most of us would wish we had skills like you do to be able to put together such a "nice" and FUN concept for kids. And with the kind of artwork/illustrations that can appeal to kids too!

You are very blessed to be so TALENTED!

Note #2: This reminds me of @Dralius Magic Wand concept. He told me that indeed the game was for KIDS and that there was a Magic Wand as part of the game! Now I don't fully comprehend the mechanics behind your game... Having Numbers and Symbols on a Pencil could qualify as Dralius' Magic Wand...

I can at least picture the concept better -- Because in all honesty, I think it could be "similar" (I'm not saying it is identical just reminiscent) and would be a practical Magic Wand for casting Spells.

This at least makes me "picture" a Wand with values and symbols and how it could be used in tandem with a Board (or Card) Game. Just sharing some other concept that could be "similar"... Maybe @JewellGames you might want to reach out to David (@Dralius) and PM him asking if his Magic Wand apparatus was similar to your Battle Pencils component!

JewellGames
JewellGames's picture
Well, ty sir. I did

Well, ty sir. I did commission the logo for $15 on Fiverr, did the rest in Photoshop. For some reason, my sell sheet link broke. So here it is again:

I’ll hit him up. Funny you mention wands because I tried to pitch this to wotc in 2017 as a mtg gateway game aimed at kids called “Magic Wands”, but it never got picked up.

questccg
questccg's picture
Here the thread with David... He confirms that

Indeed they are "chopsticks" with some kind of magical properties... IDK:

https://www.bgdf.com/blog/back-those-darn-dueling-wizards

But with your PENCIL concept ... Maybe he was thinking something SIMILAR. IDK. However with your mechanics, this could maybe EXPLAIN what he was trying to do...

He is also on BGG if you don't get a PM response on BGDF.com.

Cheers Gregg... BTW those PENCILS look so freaken AWESOME!!!

Note #1: Dralius' concept was called "Order of the Wand".

Note #2: Not that there is anything wrong with the current design of the "Pencils" ... But I would put the "character" on the base portion of the pencil. This would allow the pencils to be used more without losing the capabilities of "Battling" ... Just a comment. I'm sure there are probably design reasons for being at the top. I just found that the pencils could be used much more if you put the "character" below the "stats" and before "the filler/pattern" at the bottom...

Note #3: From what you have shown with your concept and the 4 sides of a Chopstick, maybe there could be some kind of RPS... IDK if it is possible with 4 outcomes. I'll do some "tinkering" and see if it does work out or not!

Note #4: No 4 is not enough. You need 5. So maybe he had his "own" symbols and different values and as you would CAST the spell you would "hold-out" your Wand! Makes 100% sense to me and there could be a numerical "combination" too... Just some of my own thoughts on the matter. Not in relation to "Battle Pencils" (BP) but more on what David was working on.

I'm just curious because of the "Chopsticks"! (LOL)

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut