Skip to Content

Re: New Game Competition with $500 prize!

28 replies [Last post]
Headz

Thanks to (SedjTroll?) for locking the thread. It was getting unproductive. You might want to pre-emptively lock this one, too, but for people who want more information (and to follow the Q & A) the same thread is going on at:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1062168/game-design-competition

Thanks to everyone who has entered so far. Some good ideas coming in! We're excited!

The Council of Excited Elders

BubbleChucks
Everything Is Oil Right – Or

Everything Is Oil Right – Or Stake And Chips

OVERVIEW

The humans say that money is a source of happiness and the root of all evil. However, when you’re a Robot only one thing matters in relation to the satisfaction of basic needs, and that one thing is Oil. With it we survive, prosper and continue to move forwards, without it we rust. Oil is our currency and those with barrels of it to spare can look forward to a future that is safe from the clutching cranes of the scrapers yard.

As is so often is the case, needs give birth to wants, and from this genesis of desire a new game has taken hold in Robot City. To Robots in the know this game is called Black Gold, in reference to a human term associated with a commodity of great value. Make no mistake, it’s a serious game of win all or loose everything. The luck of the dice and the skill of a player are the only differences between success and the junk pile.

So pull out your emotion chips, tighten your bolts and sit down to play, this could well be your lucky day.

COMPONENTS

04 Emoticon Dice
24 Black Oil Chips (Plastic Tiddlywinks)
06 Red Debt Chips (Plastic Tiddlywinks)

SEQUENCE OF PLAY

1. At the start of each round the players put forward a stake, which can be either 1 or 2 Oil Drop Chips. After placing their stakes both of the players roll both of their dice.

2. If any player has rolled any crazy face dice results they can re-roll their own dice or force their opponent to re-roll their dice, one dice is re-rolled for each crazy dice result.

3. The players calculate their winnings or losses. This calculation is based upon the sad, happy and neutral faces generated by their rolls, in conjunction with the choices they made in respect to the application of any neutral dice results.

4. The players make any Oil Drop Chip payments that need to be made to the bank or their opponent.

5. The players take any Oil Drop Chips owed to them by the bank in the form of winnings, in addition to any Oil Drop Chips that remain from their stake.

6. The next round begins

ENDING THE GAME

The game can end in one of three ways;

If one of the players accumulates 12 Oil Drop Chips that player is declared the winner.

If both of the players accumulate 12 Oil Drop Chips in the same round the game is declared a draw.

In the event that a player accumulates 3 or more Debt Chips they are disqualified from the game and the other player is declared the winner.

GAME FACES

Happy Faces

For each happy face the player rolls they receive 1 Oil Drop Chip from the bank, up to the maximum number of Oil Drop Chips in their stake.

So if a player stakes 2 Oil Drop Chips on the round they will receive 2 Oil Drop Chips from the bank if they manage to roll 2 happy faces.

If a player only stakes only 1 Oil Drop Chip the maximum Oil Drop Chips they can win from the bank is 1, even if they roll 2 happy faces.

Sad Faces

For each sad face a player rolls they must pay 1 Oil Drop Chip from their stake to the bank.

If a player doesn’t have enough Oil Drop Chips in their stake to cover their losses they must take 1 Debt Chip from the bank for each Oil Drop Chip they are unable to pay.

Neutral Faces

If a player rolls a neutral face they can eliminate a sad face result from their dice or a happy face result from their opponents dice.

Angry Faces

A player must give their opponent 1 Oil Drop Chip, from any winnings generated by their stake, for each angry face they roll.

If a player fails to generate any winnings with their dice roll they must pay their opponent from out of their stake.

Should a player be unable to pay their opponent out of their stake (which can happen if the player only staked 1 token and they rolled 2 angry faces) they must take a debt chip from their opponent to cover the shortfall.

If their opponent has no Debt Chip for them to take the player is required to pay their opponent with an Oil Drip Chip from the bank - and mark the transaction by taking a Debt Chip from the bank.

Mellow Faces

For every mellow face that a player rolls they can return 1 Debt Chip in their possession to the bank.

Crazy Faces

For every crazy face the player rolls they can re-roll one of their own dice (including the crazy face result itself) or one of their opponents dice.

GAME PLAY VARIATIONS

Oil For Sale

Instead of receiving 2 dice each player receives 1 dice for each Oil Drop Token the put forward in their stake.

Oil Slick

Instead of using 2 dice for each player you can use 3 or more. Every pair of additional dice will require adding:

6 Extra Black Oil Counters
2 Extra Red Debt Counters

The number of Red Debt Counters a player needs to accumulate should also be raised by 1 for each additional pair of dice added to the game.

SOURCING COMPONENTS

Emoticon dice can be found at:

http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=63979#.UngOk1N0kWF

Or in the UK at:

http://www.brightideasteaching.co.uk/epages/Store2_Shop1767.sf/en_GB/?Ob...

Black and Red Tiddlywinks can be found at lots of online craft shops or educational supply shops – or you could use a packet of sweets.

Robot figurines can be found at The Game Crafter
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/parts#keyword=robot

This design is being published to establish Copyright in the name of the designer, Alex Sagar and it is done so with all rights reserved.

It is available to everyone for the purpose of personal usage under a Creative Commons Attribution+NonCommercial+NoDerivatives License (CC BY-NC-ND).

… because its always nice to have your hard work, or in this case quick and simple work, recognised and appreciated.

With the cloudy details regarding the authors prominence - no listing, one amongst many, maybe a listing - its not a competition for me.

But I sincerely wish everyone that enters the best of luck.

As to the rest, I think the poster has been fairly upfront and honest about whats involved (albeit after a little clarity prompting) so if its not for you, dont enter, simple :)

Zodiak Team
Zodiak Team's picture
Hi Headz, Allow me to

Hi Headz,

Allow me to appologize for what happened on your last thread post. I know what it feels like to be backed into a corner on a blog and it isn't fun nor productive. I saw on BGG that you were going through the same thing so I thought I'd give you some tips on how to approach forums like this and how to get what you want.

Truth is you're not asking for anyting different then what the rest of us post on here every day. You have a game that you've clearly already made and you're currently stuck (at least this is what I've gathered from your contest's "restrictions"). The only difference between your post and everyone elses is that you made yourself come off as an established company of sorts so when people looked into you they felt uneasy because they could see you were just someone working out of their home. This made people very skpetical and eventually it all came crumbling down.

They say hindsight is 20/20 so now that you have seen what you did wrong maybe I can help you do it right. I love BGDF and everythign it has to offer. The members here are a lot more helpful and positive then what lurks in the depths of BGG and I would suggested to anyone not to approach BGG until they have a game ready to be play tested at the very least bcause you will be torn to shreds. I actually had to change my username because of the bashing I was getting in BGG.

So to begin try introducing yourself. Who is Headz and why is he/she here? You're clearly not a company of any kind so who are you?

What brought you to the site?

What is your game?

How long have you been working on your game?

What made you start this game and what are your struggling with?

If you start off with answering those questions you'd see the members here are very welcoming. They'd help you out and give you pointers and you wouldn't have to offer them anything but a thanks!

You're not a "Council of Elders" or a corporation looking for the next big thing. You're just looking for help and you thought you'd offer a reward of $500 to whoever helped you best.

It seems to me based o nyour time of line of 6-9 months that maybe time is of the essence so your were probably looking for some instant gratification which is also fine. You don't need to make friends here if you don't want to so allow me to suggest a different title for your "contest"

"I'll REWARD someone with $500 if they can help me can help me complete my game"

Because clearly the game you're looking to complete is yours and you just need help to pull it all together.

Then in the body you can explain how you've been working on this game for months and you just really need help making it work etc etc and that you're willing to pay whoever upwards of $500 for comping up with the best way to...whatever it is you're looking for them to do exactly.

If someone asks if they get anything more you can explain to them that this is your game and what you're really looking for is for someone to help you solve what you deem to be a cardboard puzzle.
You could also say something along the lines of "maybe if the game takes off we can work together in the future and share in any future equity" or whatever you're willing to do.

All I'm trying to say is that you need to be up front about who you are and what you're looking for. In the words of Mr Wonderful on Shark Tank "you're not a business you're a hobbiest".

I hope this helps and I sincerely hope that no one posts anything else to make you feel at all attacked. BGDF is a magical place if you give it a chance.

P.S. This may have been suited better for an email but I wanted to make sure you and everyone else say this so we can all learn a little something.

-Best of luck!

Headz
Hi Zodiac

Hi Zodiac,

Thanks for this. Your concern comes through, as well as your good intentions.

But there are a few misconceptions we can clear up for you.

1. We ARE a company! Seriously, we are NOT hobbyists. Yes, you got us, we're not really a "Council of Elders," with long, flowing beards and robes, and when we hold a "staff meeting" we don't actually use magical scepters. We have a boring old office with metal desks and computers and we have managers, secretaries, bookkeepers--all the stuff big-boy companies have--only not so big. Because we do things other than develop this product: We publish books, do internet development, run real estate...we're very busy and we're not working out of our spare room.

2. We do NOT have a game! If you're curious, here's the bottom line: We are nine months into the design of a new collectible figurine (the eponymous "Headz," as you've probably figured out by now). We are getting ready for production (probably in China, natch) and we're even looking at maybe licensing some pop culture like "The Simpsons" or "Adventure Time." But since these figurines kinda look like dice (although they are not really made to be used as such) we thought it would be nice to have a little game that could be played with them. That way, they could do more than just sit on the top of the monitor in your cubicle.

3. We've been scratching our headz (believe me, not the first time this has come up) trying to come up with a simple dice game that DOES NOT use numbers and we've been coming up short. Hence the "competition." We didn't feel the need to go into such level of detail because it's really beside the point, and we haven't experienced much negativity (we also posted on four other boards). Quite the contrary, most people have been very receptive, and we've gotten some great ideas. Overall, it has been a positive experience.

4. As far as the design limitations, those are dictated by manufacturing and marketing plans, and they are what they are.

Take care,

The Council of Ersatz Elders

Kroz1776
Simple

You could simply make a game where everyone rolls their dice heads, and then when the specific faces come up, you have to explain why they are feeling the way they are. Homer is happy because Bowser brought him a magic mushroom that made the room start to melt...and the story continues. Sounds like a fun little game with little to no components other than the dice headz.

I will tell you though that this last post you made was much more informative and helpful for my creative juices.

Zodiak Team
Zodiak Team's picture
ahh I see, well even my swing

ahh I see, well even my swing and a miss helped to shed some more light on the situation. Best of luck you, sounds like a fun idea.

This sort of seems liek that Homies should have did to keep themselves alive =p

context: Homies were little toys in the 50 cent machine when I was younger

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture
Zodiak Team wrote:ahh I see,

Zodiak Team wrote:
ahh I see, well even my swing and a miss helped to shed some more light on the situation. Best of luck you, sounds like a fun idea.

This sort of seems liek that Homies should have did to keep themselves alive =p

context: Homies were little toys in the 50 cent machine when I was younger

I remember the beginnings of a game design I had based on Homies!

Markus Hagenauer
summary

So let me give a short summarize your competition rules:

You want me to send my game to someone hiding behind a pseudonym.
I will loose all my rights on the game and for that I´ll get either $500 or a copy of a game.

Sorry, but for me this "offer" is not far away from simply stealing the games submitted.

Headz
Rights

Markus Hagenauer wrote:
I will loose all my rights on the game and for that I´ll get either $500 or a copy of a game

This is not accurate. You only give up your rights if you accept the prize and sign a contract. If you just enter, you do get a free copy of the product but you don't give up anything, you still retain full rights to your game.

The Council of Elders

Dralius
Dralius's picture
Markus Hagenauer wrote:So let

Markus Hagenauer wrote:

I will loose all my rights on the game and for that I´ll get either $500 or a copy of a game.

Sorry, but for me this "offer" is not far away from simply stealing the games submitted.

Let’s not go down this road again.

Folks if you don't like the deal don't submit your game. Getting paid $500 for a game is not theft; it’s a straight forward deal. In some ways its better than a % since you know exactly what you will get. If you were getting 5% of net sales on a $30 game in standard distribution your publisher would have to sell 834 copies before you would make that much. A dice game is likely to sell for significantly less so the threshold is much higher.

Kroz1776
That's like $50 a Minute!

Dralius wrote:
Markus Hagenauer wrote:

Let’s not go down this road again.

Folks if you don't like the deal don't submit your game. Getting paid $500 for a game is not theft; it’s a straight forward deal. In some ways its better than a % since you know exactly what you will get. If you were getting 5% of net sales on a $30 game in standard distribution your publisher would have to sell 834 copies before you would make that much. A dice game is likely to sell for significantly less so the threshold is much higher.

Not only that, with the constraints set up, you actually don't need to do a lot of work to enter the contest. Take ten minutes to come up with something and enter it. $500 is worth ten minutes of your time.

Hiddius
Hiddius's picture
Fun contest, and I'd acually

Fun contest, and I'd acually want to play the game I designed so I'm happy :)
If one would like to show others what you've made, is this the right thread to do it?

Headz
The final stretch!

Hey Designers,

We've been having a blast reviewing (and playing!) all of your creative submissions. Thank you for that, guys and gals. 

As we enter the final stretch, we'd like to share some of our impressions, which might help those who have yet to submit or wish to revise their games.

Our favorite games so far incorporate some kind of give and take between players that goes beyond just tallying up scores. For example, in the case that a player rolls two "Happys," instead of that just translating to some point value it could also mean that the player is "DELIRIOUSLY HAPPY," and has to use body language, voice cues, Headz attacks, or some other silly, whimsical feature to gain an advantage. So rather than just being simply numerical (i.e. happy = 4pts, sad= 1pt, etc.) we really want to see games that give players the idea they are playing with more than just fancy dice. (They are, after all, playing with beings from another planet!)

In other words, think less traditional numbered dice game and more interactive games that still manage to contain elements of betting and strategy.

We know this a tricky puzzle, but many of you are close!

Feel free to contact us at DiceGame@Headz.com if you have any comments or questions.

Please stay tuned,

The Council of Elders

Headz
Last call

Hi guys (and gals),

First, a million thanks to everyone who submitted a game to the competition. There are a LOT of good ones, so please excuse us if we take a few extra days to analyze and play-test them before we announce a winner or winners.

The following is a complete list of everyone who submitted a game. If you do NOT see your name/game on the list, please re-send or make an inquiry. It's not too late to submit if there was some email badness.

And thanks again!

The Council of Elders

--
1. Ian Hjelte "No Name"
2. David E. Whitcher "Face Off"
3. Santiago Eximeno "Faces"
4. Janet Banerjee "Curmudgeon"
5. Name Withheld "Best Moods"
6. Silvano Sorrentino "The Duel"
7. Name Withheld "A Game Called Headz"
8. Ian Richard "No Name"
9. Odd Hackwelder "Signs"
10. Oskar Olsson "No Name"
11 Spencer Lee Olson "No Name"
12. Jordan Booth "No Name"
13. BubbleChucks "Oil Drops" (Yes, we know)
14. Micah Till "Galactic Diplomacy "
15. Joseph Domenici "Uranus"
16. Bert Menting "Arena"
17. Matt Vanek "Headz to the Stars"
18. Don Riddle "Mindfight"
19. Don Riddle "Two Faced"
20. Tom Scutt "About Face"
21. Jason Kotzur-Yang "The Pursuit of Happiness"
22. Dallas Tucker "No Name"
23. Jan-Willem van Leeuwen "No Name"
24. Christian Gienger "The Party Game"
25. Devin Stinchcomb "Everybody Needs a Friend"
26. Martin Windischer "Piles"
27. Sturv Tafvherd "No Name"
28. Dean Howard "Robo-Emo"
29. Justin Hart "Dimension of Despair"

Dralius
Dralius's picture
It’s going to be very

It’s going to be very confusing if the game "No Name" wins.

Good luck to everyone!

Headz
And the winner is...

Hi Designers,

As many of you know, the contest for Headz has officially come to an end. We have finished reviewing all of the game entries and we were blown away by the time and effort you put into your designs. There is no denying the talent and level of creativity that exists right here in BGDF's forums, and we cannot thank all of you enough.

Interestingly, the winner is not a professional (or even amateur) game designer, but a physician, Dr. Keith Souter, who (not all that surprisingly) has a fascination with dice games and has even published a book about them: http://amzn.to/1eT3NGc.

At some point in the near future we would like to post his game here and solicit comments.

Even though we have already chosen a winner, we feel that two designers, Bert Menting and Joseph Domenici, put so much energy into their designs that—even though we will not be buying the rights to their games—we would like to reward them with $50 gift certificates to Amazon. Great job you guys!

All of the designers on the following list should contact us with mailing addresses so we can send them complimentary copies of Headz when we go into production (in about six months, we hope).

If anyone is interested, we will post a link to our Kickstarter when we get that going.

Finally, we are still looking for good ideas for games that follow the original guidelines, so if anyone has a brainstorm please feel free to contact us at DiceGame@Headz.com and we can discuss developing it for eventual purchase (but we don’t recommend submitting a complete game on spec).

Thanks again for all your efforts!

The Council of Elders

1. Ian Hjelte "No Name"
2. David E. Whitcher "Face Off"
3. Santiago Eximeno "Faces"
4. Janet Banerjee "Curmudgeon"
5. Name Withheld "Best Moods"
6. Silvano Sorrentino "The Duel"
7. Name Withheld "A Game Called Headz"
8. Ian Richard "No Name"
9. Odd Hackwelder "Signs"
10. Oskar Olsson "No Name"
11 Spencer Lee Olson "No Name"
12. Jordan Booth "No Name"
13. Alex Sagar "Oil Drops"
14. Micah Till "Galactic Diplomacy "
15. Joseph Domenici "Uranus"
16. Bert Menting "Arena"
17. Matt Vanek "Headz to the Stars"
18. Don Riddle "Mindfight"
19. Don Riddle "Two Faced"
20. Tom Scutt "About Face"
21. Jason Kotzur-Yang "The Pursuit of Happiness"
22. Dallas Tucker "No Name"
23. Jan-Willem van Leeuwen "No Name"
24. Christian Gienger "The Party Game"
25. Devin Stinchcomb "Everybody Needs a Friend"
27. Sturv Tafvherd "No Name"
28. Dean Howard "Robo-Emo"
29. Justin Hart "Dimension of Despair"
30. Tyraziel

Hiddius
Hiddius's picture
Really?

So someone that wasn't even on the list of "submitters" won?

Lol, so bad of you guys. I smell scam.

Kroz1776
Benefit of the Doubt

Hiddius wrote:

Man Headz, you really can't shake that bad rep can you? I did notice his name was on the list. Is that a list of ALL the entrants or a more specific list?

Hiddius
Hiddius's picture
Kroz1776 wrote:Hiddius

Kroz1776 wrote:
Hiddius wrote:

Man Headz, you really can't shake that bad rep can you? I did notice his name was on the list. Is that a list of ALL the entrants or a more specific list?

Where

Headz
The list

The list we posted on BDGF & BoardGameGeek was comprised ONLY of the submitters we got from those forums (with the crossover between the two boards we didn't bother to separate them). We actually got quite a few more entries from other venues.

Thanks,

The Council of Elders

Kroz1776
Headz Asplode!

Hiddius wrote:
Kroz1776 wrote:
Hiddius wrote:

Where

Woops...typo, meant didn't.

Kroz1776
AHA!!!! (Not the band)

Headz wrote:
The list we posted on BDGF & BoardGameGeek was comprised ONLY of the submitters we got from those forums (with the crossover between the two boards we didn't bother to separate them). We actually got quite a few more entries from other venues.

Thanks,

The Council of Elders

This is what I suspected.

Hiddius
Hiddius's picture
Headz wrote:The list we

Headz wrote:

Thanks,

The Council of Elders

Sure brah

JewellGames
JewellGames's picture
suspect

From an earlier post by you, "The following is a complete list of everyone who submitted a game". That wording doesn't imply a list of people just from these forums who submitted a game. Priceless the chosen entry is no where on this list. What venue or site did they submit on? Why did you cross link the bgg forums but none of these other venues? You may want to choose your words more carefully and cover your bases better next time because this whole endeavor has appeared pretty suspect.

Hiddius
Hiddius's picture
Also "Entries should be sent

Also

"Entries should be sent to "DiceGame@Headz.com" and there may be more than one winner (each winner will receive $500). The competition ends on November 30, 2013 and the winner (or winners) will be named shortly thereafter. (Please note that by accepting the prize you will be assigning all rights to the sponsor.)"

They "MAY" clausule puts you off the hook, but I call that false advertisement. Explain yourself and your motivation to why the other two did not "win $500".

Also, if you now hold the rights for the game, why do you not post it so that we can see the winning submission.

There's way too much that points too this being a scam right from the start.

Hiddius
Hiddius's picture
Seriously? Am I the only one

Seriously? Am I the only one reacting to this?

BubbleChucks
I can’t see anything to react

I can’t see anything to react to myself. A competition was organized and people made the decision to enter it or not. Of those entries one was chosen as the winner and Headz secured the rights to publish that game, upon receipt of the prize money.

Granted, the winner came out of left field, but Headz did advertise the competition elsewhere as claimed.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?347531-Announcing-a-new-Game...!

The authors of the other designs that where entered retain the full rights to their designs and recognizable elements within those designs. Some of these designs have also been publicly documented.

The circumstances and progression of the competition to its conclusion are recorded and Headz has declared that the winning entry will be presented for discussion very soon.

All told I can’t personally see anything untoward, above and beyond groundless suspicion. In every contest the organizers decide the winner, whoever it might be, and that’s how it should be. Ours is not to reason why, we only right the rules to govern the die.

Disputing a winner or the circumstances of their win, without any hard evidence, isn’t really cricket old sport. And if suspicions became the norm for supporting a consistent outcry the “happy camaraderie” and openness in the game design community would suffer as a consequence.

On another note the competition stimulated the production of a lot of designs and a group offering might be an idea. Those designers who entered and would like to give people the opportunity to have fun playing their games, which is always my own primary motivation when designing a game, could package them together as a PnP document bundle.

The emoticon dice are cheap and easily sourced and under a uniform title the various games (or a selection of the games) could be made freely available to anyone interested - under a creative commons, non commercial and no derivatives license.

richdurham
richdurham's picture
Thank you, BubbleChucks.Hmm.

Thank you, BubbleChucks.

Kroz1776
Over Reaction!

richdurham wrote:
Thank you, BubbleChucks.

Ditto!

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut