Skip to Content

Comments and Questions on the April 2009 GDS Challenge

46 replies [Last post]
Mitchell Allen
Mitchell Allen's picture
5 Reasons to Downplay the Vote!

RTaylor wrote:
Again, this would likely be too complicated. It's usually not too hard to choose a top 3, but to say which, for example, of two entries which fail to meet the contest guidelines is 'better', is difficult and frankly, unnecessary. It is the job of the game designer to write a description that doesn't get 'just skimmed over'.

As a wannabe Internet Marketer, I totally agree that the description should carry the burden of attracting attention.
How many times have we purchased a game based on the box writeup? (And how many times have we been disappointed by our hasty decision?!)

Besides, the whole premise of the GDS is to pitch an idea, not create fully fleshed out games that can be judged on several criteria. It just happens that many entries have been delightfully detailed, but that's a bonus for the readers :)

Personally, I skim most entries and then go back to read the ones that sounded cool.

Cheers,

Mitch

End of Time Games
End of Time Games's picture
Mitchell Allen wrote:RTaylor

Mitchell Allen][quote=RTaylor wrote:

Besides, the whole premise of the GDS is to pitch an idea, not create fully fleshed out games that can be judged on several criteria. It just happens that many entries have been delightfully detailed, but that's a bonus for the readers :)

I have never entered in the GDS, but a thought just accured to me that, hyposthetically, what if there was a competition just on game box designs. No game was played. But I supose that would be hard to judge because usually the way we know weather a game box was successful is if the person buaght the game.

Mitchell Allen
Mitchell Allen's picture
Send in Your Box Tops for Valuable Prizes!

In a way, that's exactly what happens in the GDS. There was even some dissension about the use of graphics, as some felt that they unfairly aided the entries.

Cheers,

Mitch

Jpwoo
Jpwoo's picture
Mitchell Allen wrote:RTaylor

Mitchell Allen wrote:

Personally, I skim most entries and then go back to read the ones that sounded cool.

You might miss some gems by doing this. When I have time I write my critiques first, and let that color my opinions of the games. Many of the games that originally sound sorta 'meh' when you skim them become excellent when you get your brain around them.

Back to the topic at hand, I would be fine voting on voting, or letting Seo pick the vote style. So long as we keep getting all these amazing variations on a theme I'm happy.

seo
seo's picture
Voting method

Monday morning, and I think it's time to take a decision. Voting on voting would be fine, but it's April 27 already, and I don't want the April GDS to drag itself into May.

So, the voting for the April GDS will be:

Send me a PM with your votes for: 1st (5 points), 2nd (4 points) and 3rd (3 points).

Remember that you should NOT vote for your own game. I'll post the results o Thursday, April 30, 2009.

Based on the test experience with the system (both for voters and the admin), we can continue the discussion on the voting system to adopt.

Have fun voting and good luck to all entrants!

edit: corrected points for 2nd place, thanks Bluesea!

bluesea
bluesea's picture
seo wrote: So, the voting for

seo wrote:

So, the voting for the April GDS will be:

Send me a PM with your votes for:
1st (5 points), 2nd (3 points) and 3rd (3 points).

Is the above correct, Seo? Or is it 5-4-3 or 5-3-1?

bluesea
bluesea's picture
shazzaz wrote: Am I right in

shazzaz wrote:

Am I right in thinking that the voting process needs to be changed because of a lack of feedback?

I'm sure we will continue this is a separate thread on voting, but this statement is the reason I give for my suggestion. If we can make the voting more like feedback, I think we can get more from it. Ideally I'd like to see a system that has NO voting and only feedback. So at the bottom of each entry, we could come up with four or five meaningful critique points and set a range from poor to good for each. Then each game gets some love.

Or maybe we make the GDS bi-monthly to allow for more time for feedback and design.

We could also be parasites and post the GDS results over at BGG and use the thumbs to vote. GDS Geeklists! Cheeky!!

In the end this sums it up for me as well:

Quote:
So long as we keep getting all these amazing variations on a theme I'm happy.

EDIT: I wonder if we can use a service like this:
http://www.polldaddy.com/features/
or any other similar to design what we need. I'm sure there are those more web savvy than I who could give some input on this. Thanks.

EDIT: Just remembered BGG does polls now. I vote to invade!

seo
seo's picture
Ooops!

You're totally right, John, it's 5-4-3. My mistake.
I fixed the original post to avoid confusion.

Darkehorse
Darkehorse's picture
Probably not wise.

bluesea wrote:

My only problem with this is you might get people voting on the entries who have not reviewed them or who aren't really serious about reviewing them. Not everyone at BGG is as altruistic as the people at BGDF unfortunately. Also you assume that everyone who is a member here, is a member there.

-Darke

seo
seo's picture
Fiddly

I think it would be unnecessarily fiddly to implement an external poll. PMs are easy to send, and with the current average of just 12 votes, it shouldn't be hard to track voting by hand or on a small spreadsheet.

bluesea
bluesea's picture
Darkehorse wrote:bluesea

Darkehorse wrote:
bluesea wrote:

My only problem with this is you might get people voting on the entries who have not reviewed them or who aren't really serious about reviewing them. Not everyone at BGG is as altruistic as the people at BGDF unfortunately...

A geeklist GDS would be a worthwhile experiment just to see what would happen. I'm not sure if I made it clear earlier, but I should have prefaced my suggestions with the statement: I don't care who *wins* the GDS. It is really a fun exercise. Even when I don't enter, which is most of the time, I usually jot a sketch of of an idea down. So even if people vote and it is meaningless and I get one constructive comment, that's ok.

The advantage to trying this over at BGG is threefold:
1. Users there tend to contribute a lot of content and their ranks are 1000 times ours, at least. So even with the occasional snarky remarks I tend to find that the designers' forum over there is filled with many helpful souls.
2. We design games not for designers, but for players! Why not release the hounds! Open the GDS to see what kind of feedback we get from our audience.
3. The set up of the geek list allows for a quick response. You can read and comment on what you just read, or not. This may increase feedback. Plus, for those who like a competition, there are those thumbs.

I agree the polls might be a pain. I'm just brainstorming here. But I do feel strongly that a geeklist will be fun to do and that the feedback will be interesting at the very least. We don't have to do it every time.

Darkehorse wrote:
... Also you assume that everyone who is a member here, is a member there.

It's not like they're joining a country club! :)
But yes, good point.

Xaqery
Xaqery's picture
What I want to know

What I want to know is exactly what was Seo googling when he came accidentally across " Dictyostelid cellular slime molds"!

; - )

- Dwight

RTaylor
RTaylor's picture
It seems to me that the type

It seems to me that the type of feedback that a focused contest on BGDF will engender will be entirely different from the feedback on any of the forums at BGG. I personally, prefer the more intimate nature of this venue for such unpolished ideas. I would not like my name to become synonymous with half-thought-out ideas on BGG because of contests like this one. If I wished to seek feedback from the BGG forums, I would do it with a far more polished game idea/concept.

Also, there is a bit of a tension in getting detailed feedback vs any at all. If it's a busy week, a user may only have time to vote for a favourite entry, but then a while later they might return and give more specific comments on the entries, or they might not. But if they have to do all that processing before voting, there's a higher chance that they won't vote at all.

seo
seo's picture
Xaqery wrote: What I want to

Xaqery wrote:
What I want to know is exactly what was Seo googling when he came accidentally across " Dictyostelid cellular slime molds"!

Heh. I wasn't googling, I was reading a book on evolution. the moment I read about the Dictyostelids, I thought: "this is a great mechanic for a game!"

Mitchell Allen
Mitchell Allen's picture
Amazing Amoeba!

Jpwoo wrote:
Mitchell Allen wrote:

You might miss some gems by doing this. When I have time I write my critiques first, and let that color my opinions of the games. Many of the games that originally sound sorta 'meh' when you skim them become excellent when you get your brain around them.

You are SO right. I went back and really read through each entry. Except for mine, every one had a really cool aspect that seemed well thought out. I place a premium on readability, but when I stepped back from that and tried to imagine the game ... yep, "meh" turned into "my goodness! This sounds neat!"

I gotta step up next month...

Cheers,

Mitch

Jpwoo
Jpwoo's picture
My votes are in! good luck

My votes are in! good luck everyone vote early vote often!

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut