Skip to Content

Comments and Questions on the August 2008 GDS Challenge

12 replies [Last post]
Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Use this thread to post any comments, questions, or requests for clarification about the August 2008 Challege in the monthly Game Design Showdown series, entitled "Moving Day" (link).

Enjoy! -Bryk

bluesea
bluesea's picture
how are images in the GDS

how are images in the GDS going to be handled? where do we put images on the site that we want included in our entry.

Clever challenge, btw!

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture
From bluesea: how are

From bluesea: how are images in the GDS going to be handled? where do we put images on the site that we want included in our entry.

Good question. The previous site had a private user file area that most people used to temporarily store images for GDS entries ... and I don't think we have an equivalent in this new site. So, unless we find a way to provide a private image area on the site, entrants will need to find another place place on the web to host their images, and then provide a link for me within their entry message.

As has been my practice in the past, I will then download the image, rename it, and save it to a special GDS images folder before posting the entry.

-Bryk

bluesea
bluesea's picture
Good question. Well it's good

Good question.

Well it's good to know I had at least one in me. ;)

Hedge-o-Matic
Hedge-o-Matic's picture
Saving you some work

Would it be better practice if entrants set up an anonymous image account so that we could host images on it, without revealing our identities? Regular contributors would find this to be no problem, while one-shot or new entrants might still need your personal touch. We could tell you if we're blind-hosted in our submission e-mail.

bluesea
bluesea's picture
Save even more time

I noticed some sort of test poll on the site. Will we be using that for the voting now? Could save you some headache there as well.

Mitchell Allen
Mitchell Allen's picture
Images for Entries - Heads Up!

Brykovian wrote:
>**From bluesea:**
>*how are images in the GDS going to be handled? where do we*
>*put images on the site that we want included in our entry.*

... entrants will need to find another place place on the web to host their images, and then provide a link for me within their entry message.

As has been my practice in the past, I will then download the image, rename it, and save it to a special GDS images folder before posting the entry.

-Bryk

The HTML img tag works when you preview a forum comment.
However it doesn't work in private messages, unless I am jinxed.

So, what I did was to replace the img tag with an image: placeholder so that Brykovian can get the url and be aware of the desired placement.

(Any non-HTML tag will serve as a placeholder)

As an aside, you may want to put BR tags around your images to prevent undesirable paragraph splitting.

Cheers,

Mitch

Gizensha
Given the debates about

Given the debates about weather the current 10 votes distributed amongst up to 5 games, with no more than five votes per game, no self-voting is a fair and valid voting system for our purposes (...Granted those seem to usually be regarding the undesirable fact that there's an advantage for entrants to not vote) I somehow doubt that the 'one vote per user' system that forums usually employ in polls would satisfy.

(I don't think I'll be entering this month, the theme doesn't really inspire ideas in me)

FunkyBlue
I'm thinking about doing an

I'm thinking about doing an entry, but I do have a question about the intellectual property rights of submissions. Are submissions fair game becuase they're released in a public forum or does a submitter retain greative rights in case someone uses an idea to make a marketable product?

I know this is mainly fun and games, but there have been some mindblowingly great games spawned from innocent fun. :D

fecundity
fecundity's picture
IP

FunkyBlue wrote:
I'm thinking about doing an entry, but I do have a question about the intellectual property rights of submissions. Are submissions fair game becuase they're released in a public forum...?

Releasing something in a public forum does not relinquish copyright. In fact, that's the point at which copyright becomes relevant. If no one else had actually seen your work, it wouldn't matter what the law said about their copying it.

Since the rules of the GDS don't say one way or another, you retain copyright.

MatthewF
MatthewF's picture
Copyright

Yes, you definitely retain all rights to your design, and I'm saying this as an official representative of this site.

FunkyBlue
Very cool. I'll get to

Very cool. I'll get to finishing up some areas and see what comes out of it.

coco
A day?

Man, I've just moved a month ago and it took me a whole week!!

:-D

N.

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut