Skip to Content

Feedback Request [GDS] Feb 2011 Entry #17 "Dice Fighting Warriors"

2 replies [Last post]
JustPlainChips
JustPlainChips's picture

If anyone has any thoughts or insight to my entry into the last GDS you can post it here. I would appreciate any feedback, positive or negative. About the feel, the rules, the mechanics, the theme, the writing, or whatever.

A couple of notes: I have absolutely no idea why I wrote that play passes counterclockwise after each turn. That really doesn't affect game play, but it is weird.

The game started with d4, d6, d8 for Stat Dice and with one bonus for scoring a "critical success" for each stat. It turned out that the the only thing you'd want to do is put the d8 on Attack, d4 on Defend, and d6 on Move in order to try and get off the Attack which was pretty much the only good way to do damage.

So I changed to the current format...with bonuses only on Defend and Move and the more disparate Stat Dice. With Attack still the easiest way to do damage, but possibilities of neat stuff happening with Defend and Move all of a sudden all three Stats were viable options to put the bigger dice. The switch to the bigger dice made each Stat (with the requisite bonuses) a bigger threat that you had to worry about and consider when making your own choices.

Thanks for your time.

Entry follows:

Dice Fighting Warriors

You are a mighty warrior squaring off against your mortal enemies. Choose the right fighting stance and defeat your opponents.

Dice Fighters is a game for 2-4 players that should take about 10 minutes per player.

Components:

• 2 sets of Stat Dice: d4, d8, d12
  • 2 sets of 2d6 Resolution Dice
  • 4 sets of 5d6 Vitality Dice
  • 4 cards depicting each warrior: Ninja, Pirate, Viking, Knight. Each card has a place for Vitality Dice and a place for each Stat Die labeled Attack, Defend, and Move

Setup

Each player picks a warrior card and the matching Vitality Dice. Choose a starting player. Play will continue counterclockwise. The current player chooses an opponent and the turn begins. The current player and the opponent each take one set of Stat Dice and one set of Resolution Dice.

Turn Sequence

Each turn is composed of taking your fighting stance and then making two or three opposed rolls. Each roll consists of the appropriate Stat Die, the 2d6 Resolution Dice, and any Vitality Dice you wish to add to the roll. Each Vitality Die can only be used once during a single turn.

Taking your fighting stance

Each player, in secret, places each Stat Die in a single spot on the warrior card. The larger the die, the better one is at that stat for that turn. Each player reveals their Stat Dice simultaneously.

First Opposed Roll: Move vs Move

In secret, each player chooses a number of Vitality Dice (including zero) they wish to add to their Move roll (keeping in mind that the chosen Vitality Dice will be unavailable for any subsequent rolls during this turn.) The chosen dice are revealed simultaneously. The each player rolls their Move Stat Die, 2d6 Resolution Dice, and any Vitality Dice chosen.

Resolving the Opposed Move Roll

• Each player counts up the number of successes they have rolled. A success is defined as any rolled d6 that is lower than the rolled Stat Die.
  • If one player has 1 success more than the other, that player will Attack against the other player's Defend.
  • If one player has 2 successes more than the other, then that player may choose to Attack or Defend against the other player.
  • If one player has 3 or more successes more than the other, then that player gains back one Vitality Die that has been lost (which goes immediately into the remaining pool of Vitality Dice for that turn), and then may choose to Attack or Defend against the other player.
  • If the number of successes is tied, then the person who rolled the smallest Move Die is considered to have 1 success and Attacks. If both players rolled the same size Move Die, then the person who rolled the lowest number is considered to have 1 success and Attacks. If still tied then roll again.

Next Opposed Roll: Attack vs Defend

In secret, each player chooses a number of Vitality Dice (including zero) they wish to add to their roll. The chosen dice are revealed simultaneously. The attacking player rolls his Attack Stat Die, 2d6 Resolution Dice, plus any Vitality Dice chosen. The defending player rolls his Defend Stat Die, 2d6 Resolution Dice, plus any Vitality Dice chosen.

Resolving the Attack vs Defend Roll

• If the attacker has more successes than the defender, the defender looses one Vitality Die from his pool. The turn is over and play passes counterclockwise.
  • If both have the same number of successes or the Defender has one more success then the attack was unsuccessful. No damage is done, the turn is over, and play passes counterclockwise.
  • If the defender has two successes more than the attacker then he may choose to make a counter attack.
  • Counter Attack: Players make a third opposed roll switching who is attacker and defender. The roll is resolved like a normal attack except that the turn is over after that roll (no extra counter attack roll.)
  • If the defender has three or more successes more than the attacker then he makes an immediate and devastating counter attack and the attacker looses two Vitality Dice from his pool. Then the turn is over and play passes counterclockwise.

When a player looses his last Vitality Die he is eliminated. The last person with at least one Vitality Die left is the winner of the game.

kos
Dice Fighting Warriors

During the first round voting in the Feb GDS, I voted primarily based on two considerations, as well as my general impression of the rules:
1) Did the entry meet the requirements?
2) Did the theme interest me?

This particular entry didn't pass the 2nd criteria, so I didn't spend much more time on it. There are so many fighting games already out there that the theme didn't inspire me. Nevertheless, I have read through the rules in more detail now and offer the following critiques.

Good:
- I like the way that the player can choose which size die to apply to each attribute. There is a real choice to be made both in the die allocation and in "pushing" with vitality dice.
- I like the way that each attribute is useful, but different. It looks like this game boils down to a RPS mechanic, but in a non-obvious way.

Suggestions for improvement:
- As a multiplayer game, it looks like the game would involve substantial down-time for the players who are not involved in the combat. It may be better to figure out a way to handle multi-way combats better that are either faster or involve all players simultaneously. (E.g. all roll move, pick targets in order from highest to lowest, resolve each pairing concurrently.)
- There are 3 secret allocations each round, which might slow things down a bit. Consider if these could be combined into a single secret allocation (e.g. place the vitality dice next to the appropriate attribute to show that you will use it on that roll, at the same time that you allocate the attribute dice).
- The resolution seemed overly complex, especially for the brief which was a "quick playing, light game". I think the "win by 1 do this, win by 2 do that, win by 3 do something else" mechanic would require much reiteration for new players before they caught on. Consider if it could be simplified to be easier to explain and easier to remember on the fly.

Overall, well done on submitting this entry. I wish you all the best.

Regards,
kos

JustPlainChips
JustPlainChips's picture
Thanks for the feedback kos.

Thanks for the feedback kos. I appreciate it.

I understand what you mean about the theme, though it is really a pretty abstract game.
Does the game sound better with a different theme? It seems like it would be pretty easy to change.
What if it was a spaceship battle with Lasers, Shields, and Engines for stats?
Heck, it could even have been the game of Battling Lawyers with Litigation, Defense, and Research. :)

kos wrote:

- As a multiplayer game, it looks like the game would involve substantial down-time for the players who are not involved in the combat. It may be better to figure out a way to handle multi-way combats better that are either faster or involve all players simultaneously. (E.g. all roll move, pick targets in order from highest to lowest, resolve each pairing concurrently.)

The multi player bogging down was one of the problems I didn't have a good idea for. I really like your idea of a free for all. I think that could work well. I'm going to have to try that out. I worry about ganging up on people, but that would probably be just a part of the game.
kos wrote:

- There are 3 secret allocations each round, which might slow things down a bit. Consider if these could be combined into a single secret allocation (e.g. place the vitality dice next to the appropriate attribute to show that you will use it on that roll, at the same time that you allocate the attribute dice).

That actually was a suggestion from a friend of mine which I didn't get to try out but definitely will.
I was hesitant about it because it adds so much more randomness to it. While there is obviously a lot of randomness and luck in this game, I felt that the breaking up the decision of where to put your vitality dice reduces some of the randomness by giving the players a meaningful choice based on what they know at that point.
kos wrote:

- The resolution seemed overly complex, especially for the brief which was a "quick playing, light game". I think the "win by 1 do this, win by 2 do that, win by 3 do something else" mechanic would require much reiteration for new players before they caught on. Consider if it could be simplified to be easier to explain and easier to remember on the fly.

I'll have to think on that one. One thing that could help (and may have helped in the contest) is an idea for how the player card would look and how it would show what each result would mean. I think I can show it relatively simply on the card. But I actually have to do it. :)
kos wrote:
Overall, well done on submitting this entry. I wish you all the best.

Regards,
kos

Thanks again for your feedback.

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut