Skip to Content

[GDS] APRIL 2016 "Co-op? More like co-opted." Questions and Comments

7 replies [Last post]
richdurham
richdurham's picture

Use this thread for comments and the like.

Hook
Hook's picture
Tough one

Ok ill try posting again (sometimes my post just disappear?).

I think I understand the restrictions by I am a little unsure (maybe because I did not try Hanabi). You wan us to create a game that is Pandemic or Imperial Assault that is co-op but make it impossible to have an alpha player.

And If I get it correct this should be done without hiding information between players? And also without limiting speech between players?

richdurham
richdurham's picture
not quite

yes a co-op like Pandemic. Pure Co-op, no traitors or hidden agendas.

But not that makes it impossible to have an alpha player,. Instead, it should recognise that this phenomena exists, and USE it to the game's advantage. Make a mechanics AROUND having an alpha player.

Corsaire
Corsaire's picture
The closest existing game

The closest existing game that I can think of is TIME Stories where the lead player rotates for each room. The lead player makes decisions, breaks ties, and a couple of other mechanics.

XCom has one of the best ways of preventing alphas with specific roles and the timing/penalty element that compels specialization.

This is an interesting challenge; not sure I'll have something myself.

richdurham
richdurham's picture
Good examples.

In addition, Isla Dorada is kind of an example. Except that Isla Dorada is not really a Coop game, it does have a coop mechanic to regulate who gets to make the decisions.

Corsaire
Corsaire's picture
Spoiler Warning

Spoiler Warning... I'm going to throw out some ideas I have, but if you are already noodling on this, maybe you don't want to read them... feel free to dissect, discuss, and/or use

1) A multi-layer game where there is a lead player directing board tactics and strategy. Simultaneously other players control the means of production and choices around powers and units selected.

2) Players individually put together action sets of cards and forward them to a lead player to enact. Lead player could rotate.

3) Deduction type game where individual players are sorting clues and feeding them to the alpha player who makes decisions. Lead could rotate.

4) Each player has a hidden detailed map of the board. The main board is functionally blank. Players will need to act as alpha when the party moves into their section of the map.

5) Conch shell - only one person can communicate at a time, indicated by passing a conch shell or such. The inefficiency of continuously passing will force someone to take on the lead. Have a currency for players to indicate they want the conch shell or to functionally vote/bid for the current control.

6) Conch shell 2 - board actions and communicating are both controlled as above with two separate indicators and no one can have both.

7) Conch shell 3 - hot potato, have an electronic timer that passes control around the circle with a fixed time per player and an overall game or round timer. A player can take any amount of turn actions when it is their time. This fiddles a bit with the concept, because the time constraint will serve to make alpha directives somewhat inefficient.

Arthur Wohlwill
COOP contest

Someone has been reading "The Boardgame Group" on Facebook....

richdurham
richdurham's picture
Eh?

You mean the contest itself? It was actually inspired by an issue a designer locally was having. He dislikes co-ops in general as they fell into two kind of camps as he saw it, but figured if he didn't like them it was time to make one. Alpha-player was something he wanted to avoid. Discussion led to the question that is this month's challenge. Though I'm not surprised it would be discussed on the facebook group as well.

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut