Skip to Content

[GDS] February 2011 Game Design Showdown - "The Dice Gods Must Be Crazy" - Comments and Questions

138 replies [Last post]
dobnarr
dobnarr's picture
Having the voting handle this

Having the voting handle this is one option, but I don't think it's perfect. If I had crammed to stay within the limitations and was defeated by an entry which went beyond them, I'd be pretty frustrated. The way the voting usually is, it is often only one person's votes that decide the winner. Might not happen here with more entries.

I don't think anybody's cheating - that implies intent, which I am sure is not there. I really enjoy the competitions, and I'm not as bitter as my earlier post might make me sound. I just wish we could either agree to abolish the limitations or agree to live within them.

Traz
Traz's picture
Poopadoodle!

Darn - I messed this up again.....

Just checked back in tonight - been fiendishly busy the past week getting ready for Sacramento CONQUEST - trying to figure out when we would find anything out. Followed the last 60 posts, only to discover that voting was already going on. It got a bit confusing trying to figure out how that worked, so I looked around and finally figured out where all the stuff was...

and... POOP! :( Voting ended YESTERDAY!!! Arggh!!

I caught the discussion on size of illustrations - I have no idea on how the 'size' of the illustrations work [600x800 pixels? How does that work? I always use inches]... BTW - does anybody know if my illustrations were over the limit? If so - sorry about that.

It took me 5 minutes to figure out where the #1 - #10 entries were.... [after all - they weren't that blue link-thingie].

Looking through the list I noted that everybody but *ME* took the time to come up with cool names for their games.. I thought Tasty Minstrel would be slapping their own name on it, so I didn't make one up. D'oh!

BTW - I'm soliciting cool names for my game...

Then - just to make it worse.... last week when I went to print out my rules [to see if I could figure out how all that formatting stuff works - which I never did], I noticed that a sentence had gotten cut somehow - so I emailed it to Seth... except it didn't show up on the final presentation... which means I probably didn't catch it until it was too late.

Just for the record - here is the missing rule line -

"If both players have all the **VO**s [e.g. Player A has three **VO**s and Player B has one], but neither player has all four, the player with the the highest score gets to take one from the opponent. Weeping or wailing on the loser's part is allowed."

Gak- this contest stuff is way harder than I thought it was.

Either that, or I'm just a dork.

But that's OK, too... ;-) Everybody thinks I'm just a geek. Guess I've been fooling everybody for years!

Or not.

bhazzard
bhazzard's picture
Congrats

Congrats to the top 8! 6 are games for which I voted. The other 2, I must not have understood and will be rereading before I cast my votes for the winners.

I look forward to the critiques thread being opened, so we
can share our insights with each other.

kungfugeek
kungfugeek's picture
Wow

Only 3 that I voted for got in. Guess I'm really missing something.

Seth -- are you going to post the Round 1 tallies after it's all done?

drktron
drktron's picture
A second congratulations to

A second congratulations to the elite eight! There were a lot of good entries that didn't make it. I think it may be a good idea to open a critiques thread for all the "losers" while we vote on the winner. Once voting is over and the winner is announced I think most people will concentrate on critiquing the final 8.
It would also be nice to list the voting tallies at some point.

Yamahako
I really like this idea if

drktron wrote:
I think it may be a good idea to open a critiques thread for all the "losers" while we vote on the winner. Once voting is over and the winner is announced I think most people will concentrate on critiquing the final 8.

I really like this idea if its not too much work for the organizers

JustPlainChips
JustPlainChips's picture
kungfugeek wrote:Only 3 that

kungfugeek wrote:
Only 3 that I voted for got in. Guess I'm really missing something.

Seth -- are you going to post the Round 1 tallies after it's all done?

Only 2 that I voted for got in. Clearly my tastes are not the same as others here...which may help explain my typical results in these contests. :)

le_renard
le_renard's picture
Congratulations !

5 of the games I voted for are on this list... I wish them all the best !
Losers of the world unite and make something out of those second rate games ^^
( I think some of them are nice projects too ! )

ilta
ilta's picture
critiques

I'd say that we should hold the critiques until all voting is completed, if only because even that might influence the voting, or hamper discussion.

I feel bad because I had wanted to vote but simply ran out of time. I plan to offer a brief critique of every game (including my own!) and I'll be sure to vote among the Elite 8. That each of the finalists got 13+ votes to me says that many people voted, which makes me feel less bad about being such a slacker.

Could we have a thread with just the top 8 entries? Not sure what the workload would be for Seth, but I can't do it efficiently without access to the original formatted text files or I would offer to myself.

Also, I'd be curious, once it's all said and done, what the preliminary vote tallies were.

Finally, and I'll admit a little selfishly, I hope that Seth and Mike check out all the entries from a "could we publish this" point of view, not just the winner, or the finalists, although of course those should be examined with extra special attention. There were some gems in there that didn't necessarily abide by the stated rules or various GDS bylaws, but are eminently publishable.

Traz
Traz's picture
mondo coolio

BTW - Mr. Dobs-

Love your Plankton logo!

Very original, very memorable!

Did you make it yourself or have it done?

dobnarr
dobnarr's picture
Did it myself - thanks!

Did it myself - thanks!

joni
joni's picture
Disappointed, yet excited...

My game did not reach the final :o(
... but I am excited because the finalists are good. That said, only 4 of my top 10-list is in the final, but the games that first caught my eye (and maybe my soul) are still in...

bhazzard wrote:
Congrats to the top 8! 6 are games for which I voted.
Anyone got better statistics than bhazzard? Who is the most average BGDF-er of us?

drktron
drktron's picture
I only voted for 5 of the 8

I only voted for 5 of the 8 finalists so I'm more average than joni but less average than bhazzard ;).

Sir William
5 of the 8 for me as well.

5 of the 8 for me as well.

nosissies
Only 3 of my 10 picks made

Only 3 of my 10 picks made it. I have to say, the juxtaposition of the start of march madness with this big gds (with rounds and an elite 8 even) is kind of fun. Perhaps the feb/march contest should be a big annual focus? Just a thought.

cottonwoodhead
cottonwoodhead's picture
Only three of the ones I

Only three of the ones I voted for made it, but my game happened to make it as well so I think that counts as four. I think the reason most people aren't seeing many of their favourites in the final eight is because there was such a wide spread of games to start with. With that many good games to choose from it would be hard for people to find a strong consensus.

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture
I think it's pretty clear

I think it's pretty clear that the 3-5 entries that were generally considered best obviously made the cut - that's how the format works. There were two that would have been a clear first/second if we were to have only had that 1 round of voting. I expect theyll probably win this round too. I guess well see.

loonoly
loonoly's picture
5 of 8 as well

Like many of the above posters, 5 of the 8 were on my top 10.

Also, 2 of the 8 were on my maybe list but didn't make the final cut while creating my top 10.

And strangely enough, 2 of the 5 I had picked that made the top 8 were on the lower end of my top 10.

Mine did not make the cut, but I'm not surprised as there were a lot of good game ideas here.

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut