Skip to Content

[GDS] JANUARY 2016 "Stronger together" critiques thread

39 replies [Last post]
Arthur Wohlwill
I liked how players have to

I liked how players have to be on the same wavelength to win. Mirrors also was like this, I gave medals to both games.
Have you tried it? How does it work in practice?

killerkilroy
I have yet to try it. I'm

I have yet to try it. I'm hoping to put together a basic prototype sometime this week and try to play-test a little with my wife.

polyobsessive
polyobsessive's picture
Where Are You My Love?

A cute tweaking of Who Am I? I assume this is based on a postcard the submitter has? There is so much space for expansions, right? Get another postcard and you have a whole new game! :)

I think this design suffers a little as it is so close to the aforementioned kids' game and being presented as having co-op and competitive versions plus being, apparently, for any number of players, so I think it misses the brief a bit.

andymorris
Thoughts on Where are you

You had me intrigued as I read the opening. I was interested to see where this was going. In the end I think you veered a bit from core emphasis of the challenge. I think it might be interesting if you had a bunch of these old picture type components all with different clues, like if you found a box in your grandma's attic or something. You could build something around figuring out all the clues.

andymorris
Thoughts on for love

I fear the theme is a little too close to the real world to catch much attention. The game seems sound, but it didn't really have anything that stood out to me. It seems like you intended custom dice, but the outcomes weren't specified. Perhaps having a clearer picture on those might have made something stand out.

andymorris
Thanks

Killerkilroy thanks for the drawing. You got it right. The only thing is the pointer would be a part of the inner circle; similar to the production wheel in the game Ora et Labora. The values then sit on top, so the pointer is not in the way when they are changed. I like systems that minimize the need to manipulate little piles of pieces, so I'm hopeful this would work and make sense.

polyobsessive
polyobsessive's picture
For Love...

A little late with this. Catching up...

This looks like an interesting alternate take on the theme of ATWHH, with a different focus both thematically and mechanically, and less abstract. I'd like to know how the dice are set up, but I get the general idea. Trying to help your partner achieve hidden objectives seems interesting.

polyobsessive
polyobsessive's picture
Strategic Partnership

To be honest, a pure "earn lots of money" theme to a game is something that generally puts me off, but this looks to have some interesting elements. The vitality mechanism in particular is nice. The simultaneous card selection bit seems a slightly lightweight mechanism for ensuring the involvement of both players given that the rest of the game seems fairly crunchy; it just feels a little bolted on.

Hook
Hook's picture
Where are you my love

Thanks for the kind words.

I must admit that when I was done with the description I re-read the brief. The part with the two player co-op was then glued on. But yea- I liked the postcard format.. trying to imagine a super simple format with some storytelling.

Here is a few comments from me in the last hour :)

Mirrors: I guess you can count all except the first card if you got a good memory and play 2 players. But I liked the idea a lot.

Up a creek: Great idea. Was wondering if maybe during they could call out loud " left" or "right" to each ohter.. and maybe if the difference is 4 the raft wil spin around and not move anywhere..dunno I just felt that the game could use more interaction somehow.

I liked pirate jailbreak but was unsure how the guards moves.. is the some randomness or do you know where they move?

For Love got a medal

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut