Skip to Content

[GDS] JULY 2015 "Standing Room Only" Comments and Questions

14 replies [Last post]
richdurham
richdurham's picture

Please ask and comment in this thread for the JULY GDS about standing-games.

MarkJindra
MarkJindra's picture
Interesting...

This will be a tough one I think. Especially because it may require very limited game components to make it portable enough to play while walking around. I can't wait to see the entries on this one.

=M=

tuscansun
This is the first one of

This is the first one of these I've entered, I'm really excited! I had this table-less mechanic idea for awhile now, but no idea what to do with it. The contest made me think REALLY hard about how to implement a theme and rules, so thanks for the motivation! I'm really hype to see what everyone else does too!

debiant
debiant's picture
If anyone is looking for

If anyone is looking for inspiration the recent Kickstarter success microgame, Dragon Punch, is a good starting point. It's a fantastic interpretation of the fighting game genre (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, etc) using less than 18 cards. There is a PnP available at BGG and it will take you 2 pieces of paper and about 15 minutes to put together.

This is a great idea. I've been looking for more games like Dragon Punch to play while queued up at conventions or on road trips.

markgrafn
markgrafn's picture
Basketball?

How does baseketball-esque games fair in the spirit of this contest?

Zag24
Would the games invented by

Would the games invented by Abner Doubleday and James Naismith qualify, or do they have to be, you know, board games, sorta?

richdurham
richdurham's picture
All is good

@Markgrafn, I'd say yes. To a loose degree, sports and very much in line with this. However, as this IS BGDF, I'd suggest not solely focusing on that play-mode. Try to bridge the gap between "board game" and sport, if you like.

thoughtfulmonkey
thoughtfulmonkey's picture
It seems like there were two

It seems like there were two obvious themes this time; but I'm looking forward to seeing some creative entries.

wombat929
wombat929's picture
Tricky

This is a tricky one, and I nearly didn't have an entry. But I got an idea at the last minute. I look forward to seeing what other people came up with!

MarkJindra
MarkJindra's picture
wombat929 wrote:This is a

wombat929 wrote:
This is a tricky one, and I nearly didn't have an entry. But I got an idea at the last minute. I look forward to seeing what other people came up with!

I know what you mean. I am completely drawing a blank on this one.

=M=

richdurham
richdurham's picture
Check out the BGG thread

Mark, have you checked out the BGG thread? Or Pieces of Eight?

richdurham
richdurham's picture
get entries in!

Last day for entreis! DOooooo iiiiiTTTTT

MarkJindra
MarkJindra's picture
Just in time...

Well I came up with something at the last minute. I cant wait to see what people came up with. This one pretty much stumped me.

=M=

debiant
debiant's picture
Unfortunately this months

Unfortunately this months competition coincided with our family vacation but good luck to all participants.

wombat929
wombat929's picture
Gonna be traveling

The comment period for this month's session coincides with my travel plans, so I won't be able to see what everyone has to say with the regularity I usually do. I may still get to pop in, but this is a note to indicate that I may be away for a couple weeks.

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut