Skip to Content

Protospiel South 2011: May (27) 28th, 29th

13 replies [Last post]
InvisibleJon
InvisibleJon's picture

Register for 2011!
Protospiel South 2010 was a huge success. We filled our 66-person room to capacity and had a ton of fun. That's why we're doing it again in 2011! Guarantee your space and help us plan: Register for Protospiel South 2011 today! ( http://protospielsouth.com/node/55 )

Protospiel South 2011
May 28th and 29th
Austin, TX
Friday, May 27: Casual meet 'n greet at a restaurant/bar to be determined.
Saturday, May 28: 9 AM to 10 PM
Sunday: May 29: 9 AM to 10 PM

Location: We'll be at the same hotel we were at last year: The Best Western Atrium North at 7928 Gessner Drive Austin, TX 78753-6506 (Phone: (512) 339-7311) (URL: http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do?propertyCode=44396 ). A Burger Tex and a Red Lobster are within walking distance, and many food options are a very short drive away (a sushi place, Carraba's, Souper Salad, etc..), including The Black Star Co-Op - a great local brewery/restaurant.

What's Protospiel South All About?
In the spirit of Protospiel, Protospiel South is a gathering for amateur and established game designers to test and promote nearly-finished game prototypes. The atmosphere is casual, yet everyone is serious about their goals and dreams of publishing games.

Looking for more? You can learn more about Protospiel South ( http://protospielsouth.com/node/2 ), register for Protospiel South ( http://protospielsouth.com/node/55 ) , and discuss Protospiel South with the organizers and other people ( http://protospielsouth.com/forum ).

Shameless incentive: At least one Protospiel South 2010 attendee now has his game in the process of being published as a result of attending (Dan Manfredini and Andy Van Zandt are the main actors in this story and know the full details.).

I look forward to seeing y'all there!

Jonathan Leistiko
http://protospielsouth.com/

red hare
red hare's picture
so close

I happen to be moving to Austin in August... so glad to hear that there's a board game convention there ... next year!

InvisibleJon
InvisibleJon's picture
Pre-welcome to Austin!

red hare wrote:
I happen to be moving to Austin in August... so glad to hear that there's a board game convention there ... next year!
Austin's a great place to live. We moved here in mid-'99 and never regretted it. Be ready for:

* Great food,
* Lots of live music,
* Cool places to hang out,
* A great boardgaming scene, and
* very warm Summers

It's a pity you won't be here in time for Protospiel South 2011, but I look forward to seeing you at Protospiel South 2012!

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture
I would really love to go to

I would really love to go to either Protospiel or Protospiel South one of these days, but this one happens to be the same weekend as KublaCon, which I've already arranged to go to.

Maybe one of these days I'll make it out there. Hope you guys have fun!

- Seth

Dralius
Dralius's picture
My Protospiel is July 8-10th

My Protospiel is July 8-10th so no conflict with KublaCon.
It’s a good way for publishers to find new product and your eligible for a free publishers badge.

The block rate for the rooms is only $65 and if you want good food Ann Arbor is the right place. The downtown alone has over 50 resturants.

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture
Dralius wrote:My Protospiel

Dralius wrote:
It’s a good way for publishers to find new product and your eligible for a free publishers badge.

The block rate for the rooms is only $65 and if you want good food Ann Arbor is the right place. The downtown alone has over 50 resturants.

I do think I'm more likely to be able to attend Protospiel in Ann Arbor one of these days - I've wanted to for years! Unfortunately again, that one is very close to (even if not overlapping) a long (11 day +/-) trip I take every year to Seattle. That's why I haven't been yet. One of these days I want to go from one to the other, but until I can quit my day job, I'm not sure that'll be possible. I'll look into it though. Thanks for the heads up about the publisher badge!

InvisibleJon
InvisibleJon's picture
Shameless plug for Protospiel "classic"

Dralius wrote:

The block rate for the rooms is only $65 and if you want good food Ann Arbor is the right place. The downtown alone has over 50 restaurants.

+1 for Protospiel. There are only three cons I refuse to miss: Protospiel South ('cause I'm the organizer), BGG Con ('cause it rocks the gaming 'round the clock), and Protospiel (which is chock-full of board game design awesomeness!). If I /had/ to go to only one, I'd go to Protospiel.

kungfugeek
kungfugeek's picture
No invitation required?

For some reason I always thought Protospiel was "invitation only". Guess not. :)

11 hour drive for me, though. That would be a problem.

InvisibleJon
InvisibleJon's picture
Protospiel South is two weeks away!

...and so far we have attendees from Ohio (a group of 12 from a gaming club!) and at least one person from Florida. Exciting!

If you're in the Austin area, I sincerely hope to see you there. Last year was tons 'o fun, and I have high hopes for this year too.

Oh, the Friday (May 27) Meet 'n Greet will be at Rudy's BBQ on the southbound frontage road of 183: 11570 Research Boulevard, Austin - (512) 418-9898. We'll meet in the lobby of The Best Western Atrium North at 6:00. Leave for Rudy's at 7:00. Feel free to just meet us at Rudy's.

Dralius
Dralius's picture
You must have a good

You must have a good reputation for the Ohio group to travel all that way when they could come up to Michigan.

bluepantherllc
bluepantherllc's picture
Protospiel West

For those of you who may not be able to make it to Protospiel or Protospiel South, you can scratch that playtesting itch at Protospiel West. It will be held in conjunction with Strategicon on Labor Day Weekend at the LAX Sheraton. We will have our own dedicated space and the format will be similar to Protospiel.

More details coming soon.

SJ

3dragonfly
3dragonfly's picture
Protospiel South - May 28 and 29

Jonathan,

You tried to talk me into going to Protospiel-South at BGG.con and it worked. It is costing me huge wife happiness points though as we typically go camping and boating on Memorial weekend. :-)

I am won't make the Friday meet and greet as I won't get there until about 8 or 9pm due to work.

CW Karstens

InvisibleJon
InvisibleJon's picture
It's timing, I think...

Dralius wrote:
You must have a good reputation for the Ohio group to travel all that way when they could come up to Michigan.
I think it's more a matter of timing than anything else. My understanding is that they had money for a game-related trip, but that trip had to be in May.

Also, I think they wanted to see Austin, TX.

(But it'd be nice if it was based on our reputation. I strive to ensure that it's worthy of the Protospiel brand.)

InvisibleJon
InvisibleJon's picture
I'm really glad you'll be there!

3dragonfly wrote:
You tried to talk me into going to Protospiel-South at BGG.con and it worked. It is costing me huge wife happiness points though as we typically go camping and boating on Memorial weekend. :-)
Gee, I don't mean to cause marital discord. She's welcome to come too! Last year there were several husband-wife couples present where the spouse (Almost invariably the wife, I'll admit.) was present in a "supporting role." Sharon (my wife) thinks it'd be great if she attended.
3dragonfly wrote:
I am won't make the Friday meet and greet as I won't get there until about 8 or 9pm due to work.
If you're pulling into town 'round 8:30, we may still be at Rudy's. I'll PM you with my phone number so you can all and find out what's going on (if you're not too tired to meet up with us when you get into town).

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut