Skip to Content

Hippodice 2012-2013

12 replies [Last post]
Yort

Does anyone else have a Hippodice submission this year? I'm just curious to see what I'm up against and want to share experiences.

I got mine emailed in on Monday. Three weeks ago I was trying to get my game Rise of Timbuktu playtested some more that I had been working on for months, when I got sick and stayed home for a couple of days. I had time to kill, and thought I'd streamline my existing game to make it use less pieces, to make it more manufacturer friendly (I got in the top ten in the last two Hippodice competitions I entered, but the publishers who picked them up didn't do anything with them). So I started hacking away, thinking I'd submit my Timbuktu game, and only this paired down version as an afterthought. As I worked on it I got more and more excited about it (that's typical of me though), and pretty soon I had what I thought was a great little game. I got it playtested a couple of times and my playtesters agreed this was really good. It has dice at it's core, like it's progenitor, and I have a couple of dice-haters in my group, so I switched to 4 sided dice and made one of the facings wild, so cut down on the randomness and made an interesting decision of what to do with the wild dice. I re-themed it and titled it "Builders of Babel". The only criticism I have of it now is that it uses three different types of scoring. However, they are based on three different conditions, so making them more consistent would not work well in my opinion. I use the Dungeon Lords defense; That game is wonky as all get-out, but people seem to really like it (not me so much).

So anyhow, any posts in the spirit of comradery going into Hippodice would be appreciated.

Yort

Dralius
Dralius's picture
Not I, Good luck.

Not I, Good luck.

dobnarr
dobnarr's picture
I sent a couple entries in -

I sent a couple entries in - one a new card game I've been working on, here: http://planktongames.com/horde.php
The other is a game I submitted a while ago and have reworked a bit: http://planktongames.com/yoggity.php

I got asked to submit my game Diggity a couple years ago, and got some good comments, but it didn't place. One guy was unhappy that I had it up on the GameCrafter and rated it pretty low. I didn't get past the e-mail submission with my two entries last year.

Good luck - top ten is great!

Yort
Maybe too good

Those games sound cool and look good. I especially like Horde. Maybe not looking like an amateur has held you back with Hippodice, since they want unpublished people to enter. Your site shows games that are already out. Believe me I'd rather be in your shoes, but my unprofessional proto and rules might be an advantage for me.

Markus Hagenauer
This year I have submitted

This year I have submitted two games.
One is a game about moveing couples around a town, with hidden player colour and hidden goals, the other is a "simultanious puzzeling" game like Ubongo or Uluru for example.

Last year I had two games in the competition too. Both made it to the second round but not to the final.

Good luck to everyone!

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture
I keep meaning to enter

I keep meaning to enter Hippodice, but I keep forgetting to do so :(

On the up side, I may have found a publisher for my bluff auction game! It's not winning a contest, but it feels similar :)

Yort
Bummer

English version:
*Games Authors´ Competition 2013*
Bochum, 18.11.12

Dear Mrs./Mr. Yort Watson,

thank you for your interest in the 25. Games Authors´ Competition of the
Hippodice Spieleclub e.V.

We regret to let you know, however, that your game Builders of Babel did
not qualify for actual test playing.
This year's limit was at a mark of 3,00 on an 6-mark-scale.

This year again we had more than 150 entries, but can handle only a limited
number of games for actual test playing.
There’s just not time enough to test play more than that, otherwise there
wouldn´t be ample time for through test playing of each game.

We hope for your understanding and would be pleased about any future
application of yours, despite this negative notice.

Kind regards

Hippodice Spieleclub e.V.

dobnarr
dobnarr's picture
Got one in...

They denied one of my entries, but asked for Yoggity. Very excited. Now I have to figure out how to get a ten-euro note in the middle of North Carolina to send to Germany...

Markus Hagenauer
Congratulatins!

Congratulatins and good luck for the next round!

My games have both been denied.

Regarding the 10-Euro-Note I would send them an e-mail asking if there is another way to send them the money.

munio
hippodice? never heard of it

hippodice? never heard of it let me do some research on it

Yort
Congrats

Congrats Dobnar,

You can Paypal them the Euros, I did it last time with no problem. Good luck.

I'm guess the good news it I don't have to wait anymore to pursue other avenues.

Yort

Traz
Traz's picture
go Dob, GO!

PayPal is the way to go if you can get an address to send it. They do all that wacky conversion stuff [because hey have to support all the international ebay thingies].

Good luck, Buddy! Carry the flag proudly! Every BGDF mother's son [and daughter] is pulling for YOU, buddy!

dobnarr
dobnarr's picture
Heh - thanks. I hope they

Heh - thanks. I hope they like the game.

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut