Skip to Content

Honey, She Has A Name!

Hero_Winner.jpg

I asked and you guys answered!

I have polled you guys, my social media, and everyone in the BoardGameGeek forum to figure out both the name of my animation game and the art style.  We had quite the list to choose from, too!

I'm not going to type out all of the names again, but if you'd like to see what the options were, you can see the original poll here

The final decision for the name? Well, it is:

Back To The Drawing Board: Amalgamate, Animate, Dominate!

And the winner is... {attached to this post!}

So why not decide the name and art style for myself, you ask?

Well, I thought it would be fun, since I had already decided so much of the game myself, to let my community have a say in some things. I mean, why not, right?

Comments

Hmm... I don't know what happened to the poll

But I remember seeing "Ink Corporated" as being the most popular answer of the poll. Strange how it is no longer possible to view the results of the poll. However I am pretty certain the votes went to "Ink Corporated" and "Back to the drawing board" was in 2nd place.

Personally I prefer a "shorter name" because you've got to get the logo on a BOX and then it needs to fit on the sides of the box too... All things you should be considering as being a good name.

Anyhow best of luck with your game...

Well

It's her game. She can name it whatever she wants regardless of the poll results.

Games like You Don't Know Jack and Telestrations After Dark seem to have done okay, regardless of the game's name length. Their boxes aren't suffering for the longer-than-average name, in any case.

Wait, so is the name:Back To

Wait, so is the name:

Back To The Drawing Board: Amalgamate, Animate, Dominate!

Or is it "Back to the Drawing Board" with "Amalgamate, Animate, Dominate!" being more of a tagline?

harmon89 wrote:Wait, so is

harmon89 wrote:
Wait, so is the name:

Back To The Drawing Board: Amalgamate, Animate, Dominate!

Or is it "Back to the Drawing Board" with "Amalgamate, Animate, Dominate!" being more of a tagline?


I hope that's a tagline that sits under the real name.. there's no reason for there to be a colon there... That's just an unnecessarily unwieldy name if so.

IMHO I think the voters are correct

To me, if I had to choose between:

A> Back To The Drawing Board

B> Ink Corporated

I would choose "B". The name sounds very "clever" and no doubt sets the tone for the game as being something "clever" to play... It's like bait-clicking... Sometime if it's not so obvious it can be a very good marketing tool.

Same goes for the game's name.

But that's just my own opinion. It's not based on factual marketing studies or anything official.

As I said, Best of luck with your game!

I hear you!

let-off studios wrote:
It's her game. She can name it whatever she wants regardless of the poll results.

I know... I was just wondering based on the poll results what made her choose the 2nd Place Poll Position?

let-off studios wrote:
Games like You Don't Know Jack and Telestrations After Dark seem to have done okay, regardless of the game's name length. Their boxes aren't suffering for the longer-than-average name, in any case.

While that may be true... I doubt I'll remember "Telestrations" of whatever especially the correct title. Sounds too confusing to me... So that's one game that I've already forgotten! LOL

And I really don't think "Back To The Drawing Board" is a good name. Even with a "tag line"... And I know about "complications":

My game used to be "Tradewars - Homeworld". The hyphen caused so much problems on BGG... Imagine a colon (":")... We got into some "heat" for the use of "Tradewars". Actually it's our own fault. A trademark must be for a specific category and not any. "Trade Wars" was trademarked for "Video Games" and not "Table Top Games". But Mike and Stan didn't want to risk it, especially when the TM owner wanted 6% of sales.

So now it's "TradeWorlds". Simple, short and now unique.

Don't go with a long game title... Why do people call it "Catan"? The game is called the "Settlers of Catan"! That's my market research... LOL

Update #1: I did this with my FIRST game. It is called "Quest Adventure Cards(tm)". But most people just call it "Quest"! Cheers...

There's a thing for succinct names like "Viticulture", "Scythe", "Charterstone", etc. I'm not saying there are no exceptions... like "You don't know jack", but think about most games: Risk, Stratego, Monopoly, Connect 4 (wow they even snuck in a number).

But of course you can keep googling for longer names too... Like "Race for the Galaxy"! That one's kind of long-ish and is in the top 100 games.

And just so that you know... I couldn't use "Quest" as a name. Why because there is already a game called QUEST (5.1 rating). Not to mention a DB Software company called QUEST too (their most famous product is TOAD). So there were many competitors... I chose "www.questccg.com" to again work on branding...

Nothing "genius" or anything. I'm just saying I kind of "sucked" the life out of "QUEST"... Hehehe... MY alias too! Everywhere (BGG, BGDF, Hotmail, etc...)

Update #2: But if anyone ASKS, it's "QuestCCG"! LMAO

I used "Quest" as my game's

I used "Quest" as my game's early codename.. but I knew I it was taken many times over and would be terrible for googling.

One of the video games I worked on (and named) is called Havoc, which, yes, we actually had a clear video game trademark on. And yet, an IP vulture owned the name "Havoc" as it applied to a brand of hockey stick, and sent us a threatening letter that we'd have to pay him or he'd block us. Even though it had no real legal claim against a video game. As a small developer/publisher, we decided to just leave it alone and give up on the (R) instead of the TM.

I am pleased that "Back to

I am pleased that "Back to the drawing board" made the finals. I'm not sure how the polling came out, but I thought there was multiple rounds of polls on multiple sites. Perhaps that was compiled information. Anyways, with the tagline the name is a bit long. However, our game Headhunter: Hilarious Hires from History has a lengthy title too if you include the tagline. Typically it is simply referred to as Headhunter. No matter what, I hope the game process continues to run smoothly for you :)

-Austin

I think a long name is fine

I think a long name is fine as long as you are aware people are going to shorten it. Like the game Castles of Mad King Ludwig. Everyone I know just calls it Castles.

harmon89 wrote:I think a long

harmon89 wrote:
I think a long name is fine as long as you are aware people are going to shorten it. Like the game Castles of Mad King Ludwig. Everyone I know just calls it Castles.

Back To The Drawing Board: Amalgamate, Animate, Dominate!

Hmm, maybe people will just call it "Back"?

Sorry it took so long for me

Sorry it took so long for me to reply to ya'll! I wasn't ignoring you, I promise!

questccg wrote:
But I remember seeing "Ink Corporated" as being the most popular answer of the poll. Strange how it is no longer possible to view the results of the poll. However I am pretty certain the votes went to "Ink Corporated" and "Back to the drawing board" was in 2nd place.

Personally I prefer a "shorter name" because you've got to get the logo on a BOX and then it needs to fit on the sides of the box too... All things you should be considering as being a good name.

Anyhow best of luck with your game...

As for the poll, I had it up on BGG (https://boardgamegeek.com/article/29769624#29769624)...OH MY WORD! How did I miss that!? The winner WAS Ink Corporated! ::hangs head in embarrassed shame::

I'm actually glad, because I didn't like the negative connotation of "Back To The Drawing Board". I guess that's what I get for checking a poll before it's fully over!

let-off studios wrote:
It's her game. She can name it whatever she wants regardless of the poll results.

Games like You Don't Know Jack and Telestrations After Dark seem to have done okay, regardless of the game's name length. Their boxes aren't suffering for the longer-than-average name, in any case.

Thanks for standing up for me, but this time I truly was in the wrong and am so embarrassed by it! Again, Questccg, I am sorry. BTW I love You Don't Know Jack ;)

harmon89 wrote:
Wait, so is the name:

Back To The Drawing Board: Amalgamate, Animate, Dominate!

Or is it "Back to the Drawing Board" with "Amalgamate, Animate, Dominate!" being more of a tagline?

The name was Back To The Drawing Board and the tagline was Amalgamate, Animate, Dominate!

questccg wrote:
To me, if I had to choose between:

A> Back To The Drawing Board

B> Ink Corporated

I would choose "B". The name sounds very "clever" and no doubt sets the tone for the game as being something "clever" to play... It's like bait-clicking... Sometime if it's not so obvious it can be a very good marketing tool.

Same goes for the game's name.

But that's just my own opinion. It's not based on factual marketing studies or anything official.

As I said, Best of luck with your game!

I completely agree with you, I'd have voted for Ink Corporated over Back to the Drawing Board! However, after a quick search, it appears that that name is already taken and popular.

MAR wrote:
I am pleased that "Back to the drawing board" made the finals. I'm not sure how the polling came out, but I thought there was multiple rounds of polls on multiple sites. Perhaps that was compiled information. Anyways, with the tagline the name is a bit long. However, our game Headhunter: Hilarious Hires from History has a lengthy title too if you include the tagline. Typically it is simply referred to as Headhunter. No matter what, I hope the game process continues to run smoothly for you :)

-Austin

You're correct, I polls on a few different social media platforms, including FB and my blog page.

Personally, I prefer 'Animation Amalgamation' I didn't really think that the tagline would be included in the full title...was I wrong about that?

Jay103 wrote:
Back To The Drawing Board: Amalgamate, Animate, Dominate!
Hmm, maybe people will just call it "Back"?

Haha there ya go. How about Animation Amalgamation? Amalgamation Domination? So many syllables though...

LoveInPaintCreations

LoveInPaintCreations wrote:
Haha there ya go. How about Animation Amalgamation? Amalgamation Domination? So many syllables though...

The weakest word in the title is "amalgamation", so.. I wouldn't focus on that one :)

"Animation Domination" is good.

Don't worry...

The thing that you need to figure out is "which name YOU want". If it's "Ink Corporated" and you have concerns that the domain name is already taken, well there are ways around that. One specific solution is naming the game "Ink Corporated TCG". What does that mean?

"Ink Corporated The Card Game".

I personally don't like "Back to the Drawing Board" because it's rather long and somewhat boring... But that's my opinion, you may feel differently.

So conclusively #1 is taken, #2 is boring... and #3... is... "Sketchy Characters"...? This is like the POLL "gone all wrong!"

And respectfully if you chose "Back to the Drawing Board" that would be fine by me too... Because it's YOUR game, not my own. I'm just expressing that I don't like too verbose of a name...

Perhaps you should ask the other designers for NAMES they think would be cool... Yeah I know the POLL was cool... and you got some votes (31 to be exact) But maybe do a 3rd round just asking designers based on YOUR "tag line": Amalgamate, Animate, Dominate! And see what you can get as ideas.

Again not saying you have to choose the results that you get... But someone may have a "clever" idea! To say the least...

Cheers!

Jay103

Jay103 wrote:
LoveInPaintCreations wrote:
Haha there ya go. How about Animation Amalgamation? Amalgamation Domination? So many syllables though...

The weakest word in the title is "amalgamation", so.. I wouldn't focus on that one :)

"Animation Domination" is good.

I agree, Animation Domination is great...too bad Fox already used it for their Sunday Cartoon Lineup :\

Jay103 wrote:
The thing that you need to figure out is "which name YOU want". If it's "Ink Corporated" and you have concerns that the domain name is already taken, well there are ways around that. One specific solution is naming the game "Ink Corporated TCG". What does that mean?

"Ink Corporated The Card Game".

I personally don't like "Back to the Drawing Board" because it's rather long and somewhat boring... But that's my opinion, you may feel differently.

So conclusively #1 is taken, #2 is boring... and #3... is... "Sketchy Characters"...? This is like the POLL "gone all wrong!"

And respectfully if you chose "Back to the Drawing Board" that would be fine by me too... Because it's YOUR game, not my own. I'm just expressing that I don't like too verbose of a name...

Perhaps you should ask the other designers for NAMES they think would be cool... Yeah I know the POLL was cool... and you got some votes (31 to be exact) But maybe do a 3rd round just asking designers based on YOUR "tag line": Amalgamate, Animate, Dominate! And see what you can get as ideas.

Again not saying you have to choose the results that you get... But someone may have a "clever" idea! To say the least...

Cheers!

I think you may be right. I think that maybe I should just sit back for a minute and really think about what I want. Back to the Drawing Board is boring and carries a negative connotation. I just don't think it's a winning name.

LoveInPaintCreations

LoveInPaintCreations wrote:

Jay103 wrote:

That last stuff was not me :)

Jay103

Jay103 wrote:
LoveInPaintCreations wrote:

Jay103 wrote:

That last stuff was not me :)

Poop, you're right! Sorry about that!

What do we think of 'Generate to Animate'?

What do you guys think of

What do you guys think of 'Ink Clash'?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Syndicate content


blog | by Dr. Radut