Skip to Content

Requesting feedback on Weavers rulebook

6 replies [Last post]
ananda
ananda's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/03/2019

Hello all,

I was hoping that the talented folks here could help me make my rulebook for Weavers as good as possible.

https://stonearchgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/weavers_rulebook.pdf

I appreciate any feedback you can give. Thanks!

Snorka’s Board Games
Snorka’s Board Games's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/09/2019
Cool!

First off, I would like to say that this game looks awesome! I am super excited to see where it goes!

But you were looking for feedback. Your rulebook is really easy to understand, and it covers everything I normally look for. My only suggestion is to move the Anatomy of a Spell Card to the back, just before the Glossary.

ananda
ananda's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/03/2019
Snorka’s Board Games

Snorka’s Board Games wrote:
First off, I would like to say that this game looks awesome! I am super excited to see where it goes!

But you were looking for feedback. Your rulebook is really easy to understand, and it covers everything I normally look for. My only suggestion is to move the Anatomy of a Spell Card to the back, just before the Glossary.

Thanks! Regarding the anatomy page, I understand what you are saying and have considered doing that before; the difficulty is that the page introduces terminology that makes later explanations much easier. In particular, the Casting Phase and Spellweaving Phase sections make use of terms like "Steps", "Components", "Instant Effect", etc.

Though now that I think about it again, I do have diagrams that also explain the relevant terminology on the pages themselves, so maybe the anatomy page can come later... I guess I just need to double-check to make sure that the diagrams explain all the terminology that is relevant to that section.

Just curious, what do you normally look for?

Snorka’s Board Games
Snorka’s Board Games's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/09/2019
What I look for in a rulebook

Generally, I look for a bit of flavor at the beginning, describing who you are and what you are trying to do. I also look for a description of how to set up the game with a diagram.Then, I look for a step-by-step description of your turn, again with graphics. Finally, I want to see FAQs for potentially confusing card interactions.

ananda
ananda's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/03/2019
Snorka’s Board Games

Snorka’s Board Games wrote:
Generally, I look for a bit of flavor at the beginning, describing who you are and what you are trying to do. I also look for a description of how to set up the game with a diagram.Then, I look for a step-by-step description of your turn, again with graphics. Finally, I want to see FAQs for potentially confusing card interactions.

Cool, thanks. Always interested in other peoples' thought processes.

I Will Never Gr...
I Will Never Grow Up Gaming's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/23/2015
Initial thoughts..

In Anatomy of a Spell Card you mention "Sets" but you missed "Class" .. further reading shows they are located in the same place but it may be worth noting in the Anatomy section.

I can understand the choosing a Class and a Set section but I feel like the wording is a bit clunky. Unfortunately I don't have any suggestion for fixing that at the moment.

First line of Setup - "Once players have ... play may begin" isn't quite right is it? You need to do the setup first! Maybe just remove that line or add choosing your class/set as part of setup, then describing how you do that after the setup bullet points.

Most common rules errors: Perhaps find a better way to right those rules instead of calling them out here?

I'll try to go into more later (headed out at the moment)

ananda
ananda's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/03/2019
I Will Never Grow Up Gaming

I Will Never Grow Up Gaming wrote:
In Anatomy of a Spell Card you mention "Sets" but you missed "Class" .. further reading shows they are located in the same place but it may be worth noting in the Anatomy section.

I can understand the choosing a Class and a Set section but I feel like the wording is a bit clunky. Unfortunately I don't have any suggestion for fixing that at the moment.

Actually, classes are sets; the other type of set is a spellbook. I'll add a parenthetical (class or spellbook) to the anatomy section to make it clear that that is what it is talking about.

I Will Never Grow Up Gaming wrote:
First line of Setup - "Once players have ... play may begin" isn't quite right is it? You need to do the setup first! Maybe just remove that line or add choosing your class/set as part of setup, then describing how you do that after the setup bullet points.

I'll remove that line; it probably isn't necessary.

I Will Never Grow Up Gaming wrote:
Most common rules errors: Perhaps find a better way to right those rules instead of calling them out here?

I am drawing special attention to the rules because players tend to miss them when skimming the rulebook and their assumptions don't match the way the mechanics actually work; I think they are fairly clear in the sections where they are explained. Open to suggestions though.

Thanks for the feedback!

Syndicate content


forum | by Dr. Radut