Skip to Content

Re-theme a card game

8 replies [Last post]
Juzek
Juzek's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/19/2017

I have a card game idea currently themed as a wild west outlaw thing, where you play as an outlaw,

You collect guns(Resource) to do heists(action) and earn money(victory points). there are legal things to do and crimes that you could do. All the heists are crimes, and each time a heist is done, you keep the heist card to show your money, and you replace it with a sheriff card (increasing danger).

If you encounter a group of sheriffs, you see if you can out-gun them and escape.

The game goes on until a player has reached a goal $$$ or if they are the last one alive. There is some interesting balancing going on.

Long story short, even though i feel like the game fits the theme well, I want it to be more of a kid's game, and would like to stay away from crimes, and guns and things. Does anyone have any ideas for a different theme? Preferably something more interesting to kids?

Thanks in advance for any of your thoughts.

let-off studios
let-off studios's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/07/2011
Food

Is there any way you can make the game something related to food? Or animals? Or animals making food in the kitchen?

Maybe animals making nutritious meals or desserts? The desserts could be the equivalent of doing the illegal activities. The guns are the ingredients, and the heists are the dishes or orders.

Personally I'd go with vegetarian/vegan dishes, but that might just be me.

Jay103
Jay103's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/23/2018
let-off studios wrote:Is

let-off studios wrote:
Is there any way you can make the game something related to food? Or animals? Or animals making food in the kitchen?

Maybe animals making nutritious meals or desserts? The desserts could be the equivalent of doing the illegal activities. The guns are the ingredients, and the heists are the dishes or orders.

Personally I'd go with vegetarian/vegan dishes, but that might just be me.


So there are a bunch of animals with guns, robbing restaurants...

Tim Edwards
Tim Edwards's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/30/2015
Pistol-packing outlaws doing

Pistol-packing outlaws doing train robberies and having shoot-outs with the sheriff...sounds perfect for kids.

In my opinion, such a game isn't really about "crime and guns" any more than DnD was ever about knife crime. It's just Wild West fantasy stuff.

But if you think it's important to soften it, you could always do a Bugsy Malone. i.e. keep the theme but make the guns cartoony and non-lethal. Custard pies, or something.

Fri
Offline
Joined: 09/06/2017
Mice cheese and cats

Outlaws could become mice, money could become cheese, sheriffs could become cats. I am not sure what guns would be maybe cat toys to distract the cat maybe something to increase mouse speed.

Tim Edwards
Tim Edwards's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/30/2015
Fri wrote:Outlaws could

Fri wrote:
Outlaws could become mice, money could become cheese, sheriffs could become cats. I am not sure what guns would be maybe cat toys to distract the cat maybe something to increase mouse speed.

Yes, this is the kind of thing I could see working.

Maybe they just fight with water pistols.

Fri
Offline
Joined: 09/06/2017
Rabbits, rabbit traps, carrots and hops

The outlaws could be rabbits trying steal carrots (aka rabbit money) from the garden. They have to use the right combination of hops of various distances to get past a seris of rabbit traps and spaces. Hops would roughly take the place of guns and rabbit traps would take the place of sheriffs.

Mosker
Mosker's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/30/2014
Jay103 wrote: So there are a

Jay103 wrote:

So there are a bunch of animals with guns, robbing restaurants...

I'd play that.

Maybe the twist is instead of taking things covertly, delivering them covertly. You could make it a holiday theme with Santa or the Easter bunny, or anything else that might also play on empathy, giving. (And then when the engine is perfect, you make it a smuggling game: drugs, bibles, sex workers, guns, penicillin, etc. according to your theme and moral bent...)

Juzek
Juzek's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/19/2017
Mosker wrote:Jay103 wrote: So

Mosker wrote:
Jay103 wrote:

So there are a bunch of animals with guns, robbing restaurants...

I'd play that.

My Wife agrees. Here's her concept art:

https://imgur.com/a/JlmFtck

Syndicate content


forum | by Dr. Radut