Skip to Content

Comments and Questions on the October 2008 GDS Challenge

13 replies [Last post]
Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Use this thread to post any comments, requests for clarifications, and questions regarding the October 2008 Game Design Showdown Challenge, entitled "Monster Up!" (found here: http://www.bgdf.com/node/420).

Enjoy,
-Bryk

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture
Before I was able to lock

Before I was able to lock down the comments feature on the main Challenge post ...

kiwasabi wrote:
This is a great topic! I'm new to both the board game designers forum and board game design in general, and I'm going to try and make this my first board game design contest entry.

So ... I relocated it here. Sorry, kiwasabi. *blush*

-Bryk

kiwasabi
Oops, I'm a newb, sorry about

Oops, I'm a newb, sorry about that :-p.

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture
kiwasabi wrote:Oops, I'm a

kiwasabi wrote:
Oops, I'm a newb, sorry about that :-p.

No problem at all ... I had forgotten to lock the other thread from comments. :-)

I look foward to seeing your entry.

-Bryk

kiwasabi
Thanks! I'm going to push to

Thanks! I'm going to push to make something cool.

I had a quick question: Is it acceptable to use an existing license/ip as the basis of your game? I'm not sure if I'd end up doing this, but just wanted to see if it was an option.

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture
kiwasabi wrote:I had a quick

kiwasabi wrote:
I had a quick question: Is it acceptable to use an existing license/ip as the basis of your game? I'm not sure if I'd end up doing this, but just wanted to see if it was an option.

I would avoid that.

-Bryk

kiwasabi
Ok no worries. I came up with

Ok no worries. I came up with a more compelling and original idea anyway.

kiwasabi
Argh, came up with one more

Argh, came up with one more question, sorry.

How are you differentiating between power-ups and items? Do power-ups have to be something that is instantly used or can they be something that is saved? As far as how power-ups are used in video games, if you pick up health and it instantly heals you then I would consider it a "power-up". However, if it's a health kit that you can hold onto until you need it, then I would consider it an "item".

I just want to make sure I don't end up using something that would only be considered an item.

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture
kiwasabi wrote:How are you

kiwasabi wrote:
How are you differentiating between power-ups and items? Do power-ups have to be something that is instantly used or can they be something that is saved? As far as how power-ups are used in video games, if you pick up health and it instantly heals you then I would consider it a "power-up". However, if it's a health kit that you can hold onto until you need it, then I would consider it an "item".

I just want to make sure I don't end up using something that would only be considered an item.

I won't make any restrictions on when or how the "powering-up" happens ... just that you have a mechanism for allowing it. So, in your examples, either would be considered a powering-up mechanism -- one just happens immediately while the other is player-timed. Both would work, imo.

-Bryk

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture
GDS Deadline Approaching

Just a reminder that this month's GDS entry deadline is tomorrow, Thursday, 23-Oct.

I have sent return e-mails to everyone who has already entered. So, if you have e-mailed an entry and have not yet heard back from me, please re-send.

For those who are still finishing up their entry -- get busy, ya little monsters! ;-p

-Bryk

dannorder
dannorder's picture
I tried to send in an entry

I tried to send in an entry (my first try for one of these), but Google changed its iGoogle page recently so that instead of loading up Gmail when you click on it, it loads it separately within iGoogle. I tried to send a few minutes before the deadline (I was working on a graphic, but it just got too complicated and I gave up) and the page hung up for a while and eventually said the service wasn't available.

If it sent when I clicked it, it should be fine, but if my Gmail screwed up I don't know if it got there or if I can send anything until the service is fixed. If you got it and it's OK for the deadline, please let me know.

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture
I got it, Dan -- both times

I got it, Dan -- both times ... so, no worries. ;-)

For everyone else ... It will take me through this evening and probably tomorrow morning to get these all posted.

Thanks for all of the entries ... looks like some interesting reading.

-Bryk

J Monty
Cool!

Cool! I'm looking forward to reading the entries.

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture
I likley won't be able to do

I likley won't be able to do the wrap-up until tomorrow morning ... so, I'll leave the voting poll open until I am able to put together the end cap. ;-)

-Bryk

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut