Skip to Content
 

CCG Races - help defining

11 replies [Last post]
questccg
questccg's picture
Online
Joined: 04/16/2011

I an *loosely* working on another CCG with a Fantasy Theme. Yes - I know there are tons of them... But my game's mechanics are *unique*. For example, your character's alignment and your dominant colour is determined by which cards you play... This will affect some of the spells you have during the game.

Okay so for the *help* here is what I have:

Good

1. Humans (Blue - Holy)
2. Mountain Dwarves (Yellow - Thunder):
3. High Elves (White - Life)

Neutral

4. Wood Elves (Green - Earth)
5. Dark Elves (Magenta - Cursed)
6. ??? (Grey - ???)

Evil

7. Orcs (Red - Fire)
8. Giants (Cyan - Frost)
9. Undead (Black - Death)

So if you can help to fill out the "???" with some good ideas, your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Veldriss
Offline
Joined: 07/26/2008
gnomes? http://i45.tinypic.co
questccg
questccg's picture
Online
Joined: 04/16/2011
Okay...

Veldriss wrote:
gnomes?

Sounds promising but what is their *Power*? Like for example the "Dark Elves" are Neutral and their *Power* is "Cursed". It allows them to summon all kinds of beings they can control like Demons, Succubus, etc.

"Humans" are Good and their *Power* is "Holy".

So if "Gnomes" are Neutral, what would be their *Power*???

baberahamlincoln
Offline
Joined: 08/28/2012
Gnomes and technology?

Gnomes and technology?

questccg
questccg's picture
Online
Joined: 04/16/2011
Hmm... Nice

baberahamlincoln wrote:
Gnomes and technology?

Okay so Gnomes and technology, so they can build all kinds of mechanic, robotic devices... That would be cool and original... Okay so "Gnomes" - Neutral, Machines.

Nice I kind of like that, it feels interesting. It also works well with Alignment:

1. High Elves (White - Life)
2. Gnomes (Grey - Machines)
3. Undead (Black - Death)

Okay so for now, that's what I'll use... We'll see if anyone else has other ideas - but I like it!

RGaffney
RGaffney's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/26/2011
So this probably is not

So this probably is not helpful. but i am a believer that in general fantasy and scifi races tend to align themselves into 4 groups. The warlike brutes, the aloof intellectuals, the middle of the road, and the cute fun lovers.

Cute is under represented here. Maybe some faeries or halflings. Kokori if you will.

questccg
questccg's picture
Online
Joined: 04/16/2011
Gnomes ARE cute?!

RGaffney wrote:
Cute is under represented here. Maybe some faeries or halflings. Kokori if you will.

How can you say that "gnomes" are not cute:

Come on, those two look pretty darn "cute"!!! :P

Okay maybe gnomes without hats might be more appropriate...

RGaffney
RGaffney's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/26/2011
Gnomes could be the cute race

Gnomes could be the cute race or the intellectual race depending on your depiction of them. They are most certaintly not the warlike Orc Brawlers

Squinshee
Squinshee's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/17/2012
This theme doesn't feel like

This theme doesn't feel like it should be a CCG. Why not make it a boxed, self-contained experience?

questccg
questccg's picture
Online
Joined: 04/16/2011
Not *exactly* a CCG

Squinshee wrote:
This theme doesn't feel like it should be a CCG. Why not make it a boxed, self-contained experience?

Well it's a *sort of* CCG. I don't plan on *producing* the game. Just use the CCG model to see what I can develop... I have some concepts that I plan to use which would be *complex* mechanics to use in a traditional CCG.

No matter, the goal is to bundle cards into 4 card random boosters: 2 common, 1 uncommon and 1 rare. A player's deck is comprised of only 16 cards. Players choose their deck based on the opponent's alignment and dominant colour.

As you can see there are six (6) colour and three (3) alignments. That's nine (9) factions, each with their own special spells that can be used by a player. The game is Victory Point-oriented in that a won dual earns the winner 10 points. If he uses spells, each spell has a value and awards those points to the opponent.

So you could win a battle 10 to 9 because you used several spells (nine points exactly). But you still won, by a slim margin... You might have lost had you not used your spells... That sort of thing.

Again just a *loose* concept I am trying to think-out...

GuruForge
Offline
Joined: 10/07/2013
question

Just curious... Why are the Dark Elves with the "cursed" magic type considered "neutral"? Isnt that "Evil"? I would think the "Death" magic type would be more neutral, since death comes to everything given enough time... Just curious what your thoughts were behind it. And I like Gnomes with "Technology". I was thinking of suggesting "Ents" or "Tree-Walkers", but you already have "Earth" magic assigned. I look forward to hearing more about this CCG.

questccg
questccg's picture
Online
Joined: 04/16/2011
Backstory - Samples

GuruForge wrote:
Just curious... Why are the Dark Elves with the "cursed" magic type considered "neutral"? Isnt that "Evil"? I would think the "Death" magic type would be more neutral, since death comes to everything given enough time...

Okay so the Dark Elves have been given a *bad reputation* because of their experimenting with the dark arts (magic). As such they have learned how to conjure or summon subjects to do their bidding. In truth they are much like their cousins, the Wood Elves, who prefer seclusion. As such the Dark Elves are not *Evil*, however they have been cursed by the knowledge they have gained and use...

Death magic, or specifically the Undead faction are all about taking life. They are evil in that they seek out life to destroy it! They are an army unto themselves and their purpose is to spread the blight of decay to the living. As such they are NOT neutral because their cause is death and therefore they are Evil!

That should explain those two (2) factions... As you can see their is logic behind the choices.

Syndicate content


forum | by Dr. Radut