Skip to Content

[GDS] JULY 2013 "Order of Play" Comments and Questions

12 replies [Last post]
richdurham
richdurham's picture

Use this thread for any comments, questions, requests for clarity, etc., regarding the July 2013 Challenge in the Game Design Showdown, entitled "Order of Play".

-Rich

richdurham
richdurham's picture
First entry already received!

If you haven't given any thought to your entry for the July GDS yet, here are another couple games that fiddle with turn/round orders:

• Merchants and Marauders. This is one where you have a list of possible actions that can be done in any order you wish on your turn, and thus is a low-level implementation of this challenge
  • Midgard. In this one, players draft their possible actions each round and play them one at time. There's still a framework for each turn, but now the possible actions are partially determined by others and MUST be different.

Can you go even further than these?

richdurham
richdurham's picture
The entries are still coming

The entries are still coming in for the July GDS. How's yours?

richdurham
richdurham's picture
Remember to have your GDS

Remember to have your GDS entry in by the end of today (relative to BGDF's timecode)!

We already have a lot of good entries, so the competition is tough. Then again, if you're waiting for the last day, you've probably thought about it thoroughly.

richdurham
richdurham's picture
General comments here!

While voting, general comments about this month's GDS can be made here.
For instance, what other games have you seen or enjoyed that employ some kind of this turn taking tomfoolery?

Please no questions about specific entries; that just didn't work.

munio
I was to late with my entry

I was to late with my entry but here is my basic idea, players are dealt a hand of card each with a specific action ,draw cards, gain VP, get resources etc. Players then get to place these card in front of them in any order they like then players use the card they put down in turn order gettig whatever it sais on the card multiplied by the position the card is. So if the card "Gain 1 VP " is placed on the first position you gain 1 VP but if it was placed on the third spot that player would get 3 times 1VP once the third position is scored

If i remember correctly the game race for the galaxy used a mechanic where you'd get to pic which action to use but i am curious to see if people can come up with something a little more creative

Corsaire
Corsaire's picture
I was thinking about how

I was thinking about how order of play decisions are some of the mastery skills one learns in a game. They are often a nuancial thing that squeezes a bit more performance out.

Like in Magic the Gathering, it is a shift in mastery when a player realizes that waiting until after combat to summon is more strategic. By whatever mechanic, I think games need avenues built-in that allow players to increase their overall skill over time.

StagCutlery
StagCutlery's picture
Imperial 2030

I only played this game once, but Imperial 2030 had a Wheel that you moved around dictating what action you could perform on your turn. Based on how much you wanted to spend, you could jump over actions to get to an action you wanted.
Man, was it a busy game though; it was like someone thought there wasn't enought to think about while playing Risk. For about the first 8 rounds or so, I was buying investments but had no clue what was going on. End up winning mostly on accident. :-)

richdurham
richdurham's picture
Did this mean that in

Did this mean that in Imperial 2030 you couldn't do the same action two turns in a row? And were you limited to choosing the actions next to that one on the wheel for your next turn? That's an interesting method...

StagCutlery
StagCutlery's picture
the rondel...

Actions on the wheel:

• Production - your factories prouduce one unit (tank/boat)
  • Maneuver - move your armies
  • Taxation - collect money, pay armies
  • Factory - build a factory
  • Production - same as above
  • Maneuver - same as above
  • Investor - players invested in the nation get money, plus extra actions if a player PASSES OVER this action
  • Import - buy up to three units (tanks)
  • You start the game by putting your marker on any action you want. On your following turn, you can move your marker clockwise 1-3 spaces for free, or 4-6 if you pay money to the bank. The cost was one (money was in millions), plus your VPs divided by 5, so moving five spaces at the beginning of the game cost 2 mil. If you had 16 VP, the cost to move five spaces was 8 mil.

The game was fun, but busy; in addition to using armies to invade other nations/defend your nation, you were also investing by buying bonds in the various nations.

StagCutlery
    StagCutlery's picture
    I wonder if you could build a

I wonder if you could build a game where the list of available actions were grouped into clusters and you could only perform your clustered actions?

A not thought out example:
    You and I start the game in Spring. We have actions A, B, and C.
    You get lucky and move on to Summer, giving you actions D, E, and F.
    I try to move on to Summer before I'm ready. I try it for a couple turns, then drop back down to Spring.
    Games continues like this until someone makes it to Winter and wins using actions J, K, and L.

Another one:
    You start out as amoeba or something, only getting action A.
    You evolve. Now you have actions B, and C.
    You evolve again. Now you have D, E, and F.
    You decline. Actions G, and H.
    You wither. Action I.
    Winner is the one with the most VPs by the end.

Corsaire
    Corsaire's picture
    Cool encapsulation. I like

Cool encapsulation. I like that direction. For some reason Junta comes to mind with its roles. http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/242/junta

Bluebeard
    Corsaire wrote:Cool

Corsaire wrote:
    Cool encapsulation. I like that direction. For some reason Junta comes to mind with its roles. http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/242/junta

when discussing this contest with friends, the idea of a voting game was discussed quite a bit....I thought of Junta some and Tammany Hall...I wound up going with something else though...

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut