Skip to Content

Critique the November 2005 GDS Challenge Entries

49 replies [Last post]
Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Use this thread to given comments and critiques about the entries in the November 2005 GDS Challenge (found here).

Cheers!
-Bryk

Kreitler
Re: Critique the November 2005 GDS Challenge Entries

Brykovian wrote:
Use this thread to given comments and critiques about the entries in the November 2005 GDS Challenge (found here).

Cheers!
-Bryk

I'm really impressed! So many entries, and all so beautiful...
Looks like I'm gonna get my butt kicked again.

Good luck to all!

K.

DanogNellows
Wow!

You sure everyone only had a week? Or did I miss a
pre announcement a month ago? :)

Very impressive just from a quick scan, too tired
to start digging in to the rules.
I'm proud of what I came up with but even with a cursory
look it's painfully obvious I won't be in the running this month either.
But what a great mental challenge/exercise!

Looking forward to hearing other comments.

DN

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

PLEASE NOTE ...

Due to some technical difficulties (which are now resolved) there is now a 15th entry, added to the end of the main thread (right before the "VOTING IS NOW OPEN" post).

Please be sure to include that game in your review before voting.

Cheers (and sorry for the confusion)!
-Bryk

DanogNellows
Double Dice

This is probably not the forum to place this. But it is not discussing any
games in particular.

Would any of you now incorporate(sp?) double dice into any future
game designs of yours?

Most of these games (mine included) seemed to be not significantly better
by the inclusion of double dice. Most seemed pure luck drive.

Any non entry specific related comments on this?

DN

ps I originally forgot the not.

Kreitler
Re: Double Dice

DanogNellows wrote:
This is probably not the forum to place this. But it is not discussing any
games in particular.

game designs of yours?

Most of these games (mine included) seemed to be significantly better
by the inclusion of double dice. Most seemed pure luck drive.

Any non entry specific related comments on this?

DN

I wracked my brains to figure out why you would ever use double dice. The only advantage I can see is efficiency. If you have to roll multiple sets of dice that need to be associated with each other, double-dice would help.

I'll give an example below. The "die algorithm" used in the example is not from my entry, nor is it in any of the entires I've yet read, so it's not a spoiler in terms of entrant identity.

Example: suppose you design a system where you roll two dice and pick the higher one for your value. If you're only rolling two dice, there's no problem. If you roll two or more sets, you need to roll multiple times or have a way of tracking linked pairs. Color would work fine, unless it collides with another use of color (for example, player color).

It seems like you have to work pretty hard to contrive a mechanic that actually *needs* double-dice. In light of that and the complaint in another thread that the inner dice don't roll reliably, I'd say I'm not planning on using them anytime soon.

I'm actually using this as one of my judging criteria this month. A game will lose points if its "double-dice" system could just as easily use normal dice.

Along the same lines (but unrelated to double dice), I'm judging the mini-games based on the following criteria:
1) They must possibly last more than 1 turn.
2) There must be a clear goal.
3) Each player must have at least 1 meaningful decision to make each turn.

Some of the mini-game entries I've read aren't really "games" in that they can't be played -- they're just actions that happen to the players.

Er...not that this is related to your original question...

K.

DanogNellows

DanogNellows wrote:

Most of these games (mine included) seemed to be significantly better
by the inclusion of double dice.

DN

Oops that should be NOT significantly better..

That sounded pompous on my part. :)

DanogNellows

I agree with you on the minigames part also.
They just seem to be actions that would be part of a
regular game but now labeled "minigame" for the purposes
of the contest.
Sadly I feel I fall in this category too.

DN

Gamebot
Gamebot's picture

Kreitler wrote:

Along the same lines (but unrelated to double dice), I'm judging the mini-games based on the following criteria:
1) They must possibly last more than 1 turn.
2) There must be a clear goal.
3) Each player must have at least 1 meaningful decision to make each turn.

Some of the mini-game entries I've read aren't really "games" in that they can't be played -- they're just actions that happen to the players.

K.

That seems a bit much for juddging the mini games. According to Brykovian, I thought that the mini-game was just a confrontation among players with some action to determine a winner and loser:

Brykovian wrote:

A mini-game would be embedded within the course of the larger game. However, it would be a distinct point where the players involved would essentially stop to conduct a small, quick contest of some sort that would result in an individual winner in that one instance, which would then play a role with continuing on with the larger game.

Think of changing Shadows Over Camelot so that when a knight gets to a challenge -- say fighting the Picts -- there is a quick series of dicerolls or card-play to determine whether that challenge has been won/lost before the game continues. In this example, the dicerolls/card-play would be the mini-game.

Of course, I may just be saying this because my mini game falls into this short and simple style (or maybe it doesn't :) ).

seo
seo's picture

I haven't read all the entries yet, but in a similar line with Kreitler's criteria, I'm giving extra points for non-trivial use of the double dice and minigames involving some sort of strategic decisions.

While nothing in the challenge explicitly says so, I guess that the fact we're voting for the best minigame points toward a the-less-trivial-the-minigame-the-better criteria.

So for me, while trivial minigames are not going to disqualify a good game, they will definitely be a negative factor in case of a tie. Same goes for trivial use of double dice.

And I must admint that, according to this, my own entry does not deserve top points on these areas (nor in other areas, now that I think of). :-/

Seo

Hamumu

DanogNellows wrote:

game designs of yours?

Nope, not me. There's one entry I've read (I'm up to #12) where the double dice really meant something in an interesting and unique way. Every single other entry would be just as well off (better in my mind, just because I can't picture it being easy to read an outside number and an inside number) with multiple dice.

The double dice don't float my boat any better than they float themselves (despite Bryk's engineering team's efforts!).

Kreitler

Gamebot wrote:

That seems a bit much for juddging the mini games. According to Brykovian, I thought that the mini-game was just a confrontation among players with some action to determine a winner and loser:

It is, and that's all I'm really saying. Even Bryk's "lame rock-paper-scissors" example meets my 3 criteria: it could last more than 1 round, it has a clear goal, and every round you make a decision that affects the outcome.

In at least one of the entries I've read, the mini-games aren't games at all -- the players just suffer consequences doled out by a random AI. I'm not criticizing the game mechanic -- it's interesting in its own right -- I'm just saying that it's not a *game* (or at least, not a very interesting one).

K.

Rick-Holzgrafe
Rick-Holzgrafe's picture

There's always a bit of a judging dilemma for me. I like to give points to games that do a better job of meeting the specific constraints of the contest (mini-games, Double-Dice, etc.). If we all ignore those constraints, there's no point to the contest. But of course the ultimate goal is to produce a good game rather than just to stitch together a dictated set of mechanics, so that must be considered also.

So I look for games that accomplish both goals: they meet the contest parameters in non-trivial and clever ways, AND they are games that seem attractive and playable regardless of the contest parameters. Usually there are at least a few stand-out submissions that manage this, and that fact saves me (somewhat) from making difficult choices.

This time around I gave games positive points for particularly interesting minigames and creative use of Double-Dice; negative points for omitting any contest criteria; and "zero points" for falling in between: meeting the criteria in uninteresting ways. Then I went back over the entries and assigned more points to the games I thought would be most fun to play overall.

That's left me with a smallish number of finalists, and now I'm in the tough part: choosing favorites.

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Ya'll a tough crowd!! ;-)

-Bryk

Gamebot
Gamebot's picture

Kreitler wrote:

It is, and that's all I'm really saying.

Oh, I just realized that we are also voting for best mini game. :) In that case, I agree with you that the mini game must have something special to it to get my vote.

I was just concerned that it was getting too much emphasis in terms of judging the entire game as a whole. I view a mini game as a very modular piece in a game. If it is flawed , it can most likely be swapped out for another mechanic later in development without having a huge impact on the rest of the design.

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Also ... a quick reminder that voting for this Challenge will end a day earlier than normal due to the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday ... I will stop recording votes around 11 a.m. EST on Wednesday.

-Bryk

Horoku
Disqualifiers?

Quote:

In addition to this good point, has anyone else noted that some of the entries don't seem to capture the concept of a "Scavenger Hunt"? Not to say that mine is a perfect example, but it seems that some of the games are just moving around collecting items, not really having a pre-determined "group of things" that you have to collect. Maybe I'm just tightfisted, but I was considering for subtracting big points for games that don't set out a specific collection of items to be retreived that, as bryk brought out originally, would be different every game, yet have a chance of overlap. Two games I reviewed either had no list-type setup, or didn't make gathering the items the PRIMARY aspect of the game. Any thoughts on this, agree or disagree?

Hamumu

I totally agree. I disqualified several entries, including one that was going to be my #2, because I thought they either ignored the scavenger hunt rule or didn't have 2 minigames. I don't mind if you kind of skirt the rules by not making the required stuff central, but I won't vote for something that actively disregards it (to be fair, could be a misinterpretation by the author... or maybe by me for that matter!).

Kreitler

Hamumu wrote:
I totally agree. I disqualified several entries, including one that was going to be my #2, because I thought they either ignored the scavenger hunt rule or didn't have 2 minigames. I don't mind if you kind of skirt the rules by not making the required stuff central, but I won't vote for something that actively disregards it (to be fair, could be a misinterpretation by the author... or maybe by me for that matter!).

I also agree, though I fear my entry is a prime offender of the "wasn't really a scavenger hunt" problem. I believe that 1 small rule tweak would fix this problem, but I liked it as written, so I let it stand.

K.

Kreitler
Re: Disqualifiers?

Horoku wrote:

In addition to this good point, has anyone else noted that some of the entries don't seem to capture the concept of a "Scavenger Hunt"? Not to say that mine is a perfect example, but it seems that some of the games are just moving around collecting items, not really having a pre-determined "group of things" that you have to collect.

After a quick glance back at Bryk's guidelines, I have a couple more comments. First off, Bryk says that the definition of scavenger hunt is "loose". The only specifics lists are:

1) You have to travel to specific points and do something.
2) The places and/or "somethings" are controlled by a list.
3) Players' lists must differ from game to game.
4) Players' lists must potentially overlap.

Notice that this doesn't enforce a collection rule -- you don't necessarily have to pick something up at each location. Nor does it enforce any rule stating the lists must be given out at the start of the game. Lists could be generated dynamically as the game progressed.

Granted, this starts to seriously push the bounds of what constitutes a scavenger hunt. As always, it's up to us to draw a personal line in the sand. Since I played fast-and-loose with the scavenger hunt concept and busted my butt on the mini-games and double-dice usage, I'm judging accordingly, but I don't begrudge people who designed classic scavenger hunts the right to judge the less scavenger-like entries harshly.

K.

Kreitler

OK, I posted my scores and comments for this month's entries here.

SPOILER -- I didn't evaluate my own, so you can figure out who I am by visiting this page.

DISCLAIMER -- I judged the first 3 entries while I had a cold, which usually makes me pretty harsh. I finished the rest a couple days later when I felt better. The first three entrants should probably spot themselves 3-5 points.

ALSO -- to compute the final scores, take the "total" value and subtract any penalties listed in the description section.

Overall, I thought everyone did a pretty good job juggling some hard limitations. However, I was a bit disappointed in the number of "pick a list and place 'n' tokens face down on the islands" variations. Usually, we do a better job of coming up with interesting variations on the genre. I chalk it up to the amount of effort put into making a cohesive game out of so many disparate requirements.

Well done, everyone!

K.

Nandalf

Dude u only did 13 of the 15 :O

Kreitler

Nandalf wrote:
Dude u only did 13 of the 15 :O

Doh! You're right! I forgot about #15! I'll do that right away.
The other one I didn't do was my own entry.

Oh...and to clarify...each rating is out of 5 with 5 being highest.

Thanks for correcting me!

K.

Hamumu

Kreitler wrote:

All that I disqualified broke rule #2 explicitly. Notice in the rules it mentions " The List of items that a player must complete" indicating that players need to have a set list that they are after, not just any N things they can get their hands on. I like to be open to variety and tweaking the concept, but the rules were pretty clear that players had to have a specific list of stuff to find/do. Several entries just had "collect stuff. When the game is over, score points for how much you got" or "be the first to get any N things". Those are the ones I couldn't vote for, even though most of them were very good. I was okay with the ones where you had a list, but didn't have to actually complete it, like in the ant game where the list just told you how much each different thing was worth to you. It still had you given a list of different things and encouraged you to go after those as opposed to others.

Eh, it's all opinion!

I need to develop one of these fancy point systems everybody else seems to use! I just write little reviews to get my brain around each entry, then pick what I like best. Putting points in sounds like much more of a game!

EDIT: Tip to those reading Kreitler's reviews: save the file on your desktop and open it if you have Excel. It opens in Excel, and is much more legible (at least in Firefox, it's really scattered).

Kreitler

Hamumu wrote:
EDIT: Tip to those reading Kreitler's reviews: save the file on your desktop and open it if you have Excel. It opens in Excel, and is much more legible (at least in Firefox, it's really scattered).

Thanks for the tip, Mike. It works fine as long as you use only Microsoft products (so much for compatibility, but then, Mr. Gates has never really worried about that...).

I updated the reviews to contain all 15 entries, so now you can't tell which was mine (hopefully).

Also, this is the first time I used a point system. Normally, I use a system like yours, Mike, but this time I found myself coming back to several rating categories so I tried an explicit system.

K.

Kreitler

Hamumu wrote:
Kreitler wrote:

All that I disqualified broke rule #2 explicitly. Notice in the rules it mentions " The List of items that a player must complete" indicating that players need to have a set list that they are after, not just any N things they can get their hands on.

I see your point. I totally missed that when judging my entries. :(

However, it brings up a question for Evolution and Mors Atlantis. Both those games have lists, but the lists change as you play the game (either evolving or selecting new spells which define required components). I won't ask if you disqualified them, but it does seem like they're in a grey area.

K.

doho123
doho123's picture

Quote:
I need to develop one of these fancy point systems everybody else seems to use! I just write little reviews to get my brain around each entry, then pick what I like best.

For the record, I don't use a nifty point system either.

First, I go through the list and remove the entries that I don't feel meet the requirements, don't interest me, and/or aren't a unique/creative solve of the design limitations (of course, these three aspects crossover quite a bit). Typically, this removes over half of the possible entries.

Then I can start to focus in on the remaining ones. Where i start to look for things that jump out at me as being really interesting or different. This is a bit tougher this month since the main constraint of the theme also suggests a specific game mechanic, so all the games have a quite similar main motive/action to them.

Usually, I wind up giving my top two votes to what I feel are the best games that I would want to play, while my third place vote goes to the game that, while might not be as strong or as interesting, but has a really unique take on the problem (such as the "pushing the carts around the map" game from last month).

Yogurt
Yogurt's picture

Hamumu wrote:
When the game is over, score points for how much you got" ... Those are the ones I couldn't vote for, even though most of them were very good.

But that's how a real scavenger hunt works, isn't it? The players share a single menu of items with point values and each team decides whether to go for a lot of the easy ones or a few of the hard ones.

Hamumu wrote:
I was okay with the ones where you had a list, but didn't have to actually complete it, like in the ant game where the list just told you how much each different thing was worth to you.

I must be misunderstanding you, because this is one I thought you would disqualify.

Oh well. I'm more likely to get boinked because my rules are impenetrable than because of my scavenging. :)

Yogurt

Hamumu

Yeah, what I mean is... here are 2 games:

1 - There are 20 different kinds of items. Each player is given a list of 5 of the items. Whoever finds their list wins.
2 - There are 20 different kinds of items. Once someone has collected 10 items, the game is over and you tally points. Each item type is worth a different number of points.

Game #1 follows the rules (according to me), #2 doesn't. Because in #2, you're not given a specific list to find, it's just "find anything, and plenty of it!"

The contest rules state that players are given a list to find, and that their lists should be unknown or random, and that they should be likely to overlap somewhat. If every item in the game is "on your list", then there's no list (and if you want to call it a list, it's definitely a known list)!

Bryk could have said the theme was "Collection", which we've done before I seem to recall. But he didn't, he said "Scavenger Hunt" and then detailed specifically what that meant, with remarkable exactitude.

I think there's a grey area and case to be made for Mors Atlantis and Evolution, both of which give you lots of mini-lists that change over the course of the game, but other games like Antiquarium completely violate the rule (sorry to single that one out, it's not the only one). Great game (and best use of double-dice in the contest), but it has no list at all, you just get points for any items you collect.

That's just my judging criteria, yours may be quite different, and that's the beauty of multiple judges.

Yogurt
Yogurt's picture

Hamumu wrote:
That's just my judging criteria, yours may be quite different, and that's the beauty of multiple judges.

Fair enough. Note that lists only had to be unknown before the game start though.

The qualification that helped me narrow the field the most was that I wanted minigames to require some player decision -- or they aren't really games. Of course, by that requirement, Snake and Ladders isn't a game. I am open to that conclusion. :)

Yogurt

Gamebot
Gamebot's picture

Hamumu wrote:
...but other games like Antiquarium completely violate the rule (sorry to single that one out, it's not the only one). Great game (and best use of double-dice in the contest), but it has no list at all, you just get points for any items you collect.

In defense of my game (I guess I've outed myself), I do have lists in my game, but I guess it is more subtle than an actual card with a list on it. The "lore" chips in the game were meant to be so plentiful that you would find a lot of them. When you went looking for "artifact" chips, you would then be seeking out those that matched your "lore". Of course my implementation of that idea isn't very well developed: I should have a lot more lore chips in the deck, and have them worth more points when they are matched up with the artifacts. This is more noticeable when you play the game and not that clear when you read the rules.

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut