Skip to Content

Creating a game board 101

4 replies [Last post]
Anonymous

Hello. I am in the early stages of creating a trivia game. I'm looking for any and all advice on creating the board.

I've read some of the posts on materials- I'm wondering if it's standard operating procedure to use matte board or illustrator board purchased at craft stores, or if there is a manufacturer that actually sells blank game boards. I'm basically using Trivial Pursuit as a base for my game.

Also, if I do just use craft board, what type of software can you recommend for creating the board. What type of printer is best? I currently have a black and white laser printer, but will be purchasing a color one this week. What do you guys use? And what paper is best?

I appreciate any and all input.

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

The BGDF has some prototyping parts for sale, such as blank game boards: http://bgdf.com/cgi-bin/shopcms/public.cgi?mode=zoom&id=3

Otherwise, using matte or illustrator board can work well enough for putting something together for playtesting. I have a pretty standard HP color InkJet printer, and usually print onto letter-sized full sheet labels from Avery. These are fine for one-offs, but can get expensive for doing quantities ... so a spray adhesive with standard printer paper might work just as well (and less expensively) in the long run.

Also ... search this forum ... there have been plenty of other how-to-make-a-game-board posts in here ... :)

Good luck with your project!
-Bryk

Anonymous
Found blank boards/boxes

I just found a site that sells blank boards and boxes. The boards are 20"x20" quad fold. Has anyone heard of/or purchased items from Board Game Design.com?

The board is made out of 80 pt. chip board. Is this better than what I could make from items from a craft store?

Excuse my ignorance ; ).

FastLearner

I don't know about boardgamedesign's boards, but I just purchased one of the boards from ProtoParts and it's definitely a heavy-weight full-quality game board. I'm quite pleased with it. It's got excellent gutters to solve the folding paper problems I tend to have when I re-use German-style game boards (making it "American style," but in this case it's helpful). It's very nicely bound in that heavy-grain leather-like material that's used on good game boards. **** (four stars).

-- Matthew

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture

FastLearner wrote:
I just purchased one of the boards from ProtoParts and it's definitely a heavy-weight full-quality game board. I'm quite pleased with it. It's very nicely bound in that heavy-grain leather-like material that's used on good game boards. **** (four stars).

I too got one of those boards, and I too like the binding. I'm not sure exactly how I'd go about affixing a game board to it, my first impression is that those gutters Matthew mentioned would be problematic. It also bugs me that the gutters are not symmetric. Of course I have not done anything like this before, so I don't know if my complaints are unfounded or not. Matthew knows what he's talking about more than I do so his reaction should carry more weight than mine.

I guess what I'm saying ts how exactly do you affix a board image to this board?

- Seth

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut